Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

6 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

I use mouse free look and autoaim at the same time.

Me too, though I recall a fair few people finding that rather odd when I said it on Discord, heh.

And I love autoaim as well, without it something just feels... off, probably because the game was designed for it, so I use it even with freelook.

In other news, I... like and don't like -fast, I have mixed feelings. Now let me elaborate. It can be quite a thrill to play with fast monsters and for what's worth, I managed to beat Ultimate Doom on UV -fast recently without saves and pistol starts upon death, but what I have noticed after going back to normal was that everything else almost feels too slow after you get used to it, it's almost like a weird drug to me personally. It can be tedious, it can be fun, it can be exhilarating, but once you start getting used to it, returning to normal speed can be a bit challenging, and that scares me, in a way. I don't want to get too used to it to the point where normal speed feels too slow in comparison (it can easily get boring after that). This is why I am quite hesitant to give Doom 2 a shot, despite being capable of finishing the game on that setting, probably.

It's also surprising that -fast kinda works both ways, some enemies become dumber and more predictable, and can even be easily exploited when they get stuck in their attack state because of the lack of breaks between attacks (Cacodemons can easily get stuck in that state when they're below the player on a platform, behind a window, but have them in sight, Cyberdemons don't take any breaks to roam around after finishing a volley of rockets, Lost Souls can easily start smashing their skulls against walls ad infinitum when they can't pass them but maintain a line of sight with the player, and so on).

On 7/4/2019 at 8:00 PM, seed said:

In other news, I... like and don't like -fast, I have mixed feelings. Now let me elaborate. It can be quite a thrill to play with fast monsters and for what's worth, I managed to beat Ultimate Doom on UV -fast recently without saves and pistol starts upon death, but what I have noticed after going back to normal was that everything else almost feels too slow after you get used to it,

This specifically. After playing on -fast, I find sometimes in normal play I sidestep an imp's fireball then sidestep right back into it as it gradually plods towards me, because I expect it to have zoomed past ages ago.

I used to think that the text screen music in Doom II was lame. However, I've lately been playing through the Xbox-exclusive level Betray (Which uses the text screen music as background music), and now I'm starting to think otherwise.

Ok a few:

- There has to be a balance in my ammo stock of each type for me to feel like I'm not being wasteful with it (e.g. 100 bullets/20 shells). A hypothetical case where I top on shells but not even close to half of bullets means I'll abuse the shotgun for a while, regardless of how boring it can get. Also, I'd rather have 400 bullets and no shells. In simple words, I like the chaingun, there's the diagnose. 

- Still addicted to the automap, I can't stay more than 10 seconds without pressing tab.

- A thing we all surely can agree with, the producers of the game exaggerated with the lost soul's HP. There's no satisfaction for me to shoot a lost soul in pretty much any casual situation, rockets could be an exception and the rare case of SSGing a lost soul that flew from the other side of the map (see SoD map28). Give me a chainsaw and then we'll talk.

- Considering the item above, pain elementals are strictly either hit or miss to me on a psychological level, because of all the boring cleanup that comes from a PE infighting. My statistics probe that 9 of 10 scenarios with pain elementals end up this way, not joking. Three of those 9 are hearing it "ow" before realizing there was one somewhere. Nevermind the cloud of ding dongs that's made in only a second.

- I smirk everytime a baron and cacodemon start infighting and there's a chainsaw in my hands hungry of baron's booty.

- Light amp googles are extremely underused and I believe there's potential for some very interesting setups with it. I'll probe it someday. 

- Sergeants are generally more threatening than chaingunners. Slightly though.

- I've eaten more fireballs from mancubi than breakfast through this year so far. I don't seem to distinguish where the fireballs are being directed from mancs that I was initially not paying full attention to, like from which volley. 

I can no longer play classic Doom without mods. Shooting Barons, Cyberdemons and Cacos suck. I need more satisfaction when killing with skill shots to the head.

18 hours ago, Chezza said:

I can no longer play classic Doom without mods. Shooting Barons, Cyberdemons and Cacos suck. I need more satisfaction when killing with skill shots to the head.

a big one

After the changes to the flying monster physics, I feel like GZDoom in Boom (strict) compat is in the "good enough" spot and very similar to PRBoom+ for casual play.

i too so love headshots, that i built them into k8vavoom code, so you don't need any mods, and headshots works with any mod or vanilla. now even in rare GZDoom sessions i am trying to shoot monsters in their heads.

how does the engine know what constitutes a head, especially if a mod radically changes the design of monsters?

@ketmar

Edited by Danfun64

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

how does the engine know what constitutes a head, especially if a mod radically changes the design of monsters?

it simply doesn't care. the head is anything at the top of the thing, and direct head hit is when you shot near horizontal thing center. it works in most cases, and i am happy with it. if it doesn't work, there are options to fine-tune headshots, or to turn 'em off completely.

Well, more like a random fact than anything but, I struggled with a few speedruns recently that I eventually managed to crash PrBoom twice which left me with the increased gamma value on my desktop (well, at least simply restarting the PC brings it back to normal but still).

*sigh* I wonder though, just what the hell is going on in my mind to start thinking that I can speedrun? I can't even master the damn movement/controls... That UD -fast playthrough must have really done a number on me to think I'm actually good at this game lol.

I thought the floor you walk across at the beginning of E3M1 (SFLR6_1) was snakes and not guts/intestines when I was a kid.

5 minutes ago, peach freak said:

I thought the floor you walk across at the beginning of E3M1 (SFLR6_1) was snakes and not guts/intestines when I was a kid.

Coincidentally, the wall version of that texture is called SNAK7_1 in the WAD file.

Screenshot_20190711_185405_SLADE.png.4170a2c38e0ae8fbe1e6787e18fb9121.png

I always thought they were tentacles? They've got those suction-cup thingies along them...

Edit: Oh doesn't the Icon of Sin supposedly have tentacles according to an intermission screen? That's some awesome foreshadowing in that case :)

My mind always fills it in with 'bumpy snek' or 'just some intestines or whatever'

That reminds me of something from the movie Annihilation (the Alex Garland one).

Also this texture is probably the inspiration for the new floor hazards in Eternal.

I think the PSX/N64 Doom audio effects sound like they were created on a pinball machine.

I think the Doom 2016/Eternal audio effects are all squeak and no meat.

I wish we could have the throaty rawness of the original back :/

i am still keeping rockets and cells for some Grand Final Fight instead of using 'em where appropriate. even if i know the mapset, and know that there will be more of those ammos later, so i can use what i have right now.

The office where I work at is getting rebuilt. It's almost finished, and the person in charge of the building asked for names for the new conference rooms. There are five of them, so I recommended Phobos and Deimos as names. When I realized there were five, I threw in Titan, Titron, and Ariel as well.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:48 PM, peach freak said:

I think it's supposed to be snakes. GamingMarine even pointed out the title of the flat. If you look at the picture, you can't see their heads, but you can see a pattern down their backs.

13 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I think it's supposed to be snakes. GamingMarine even pointed out the title of the flat. If you look at the picture, you can't see their heads, but you can see a pattern down their backs.

As much as I thought they were snakes, I thought with the theme of Hell/Episode 3, that intestines would have made more sense (if we have other textures of guts and bones and whatnot).

I burn out on everything Doom after playing / designing levels for months and then end up not touching it for months.  Last time my burn out lasted about a year or something. I haven't even touched Doom since April. I have yet to play Romero's Sigil.

I think a mapper should be able to decide how a user plays a WAD. That means, a mapper should have influence on the desired resolution, dynamic lights on/off, fancy effects on/off, allow gameplay mods yes/no, etc. pp.

Because it can have quite an impact on the perceived look of a WAD imho.