Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Maverick013

Were these commercial PWADs ever released for free?

I'm talking about Perdition's Gate, Hell to Pay and The Lost Episodes of Doom. I like collecting retro games and playing vanilla-style maps so I wanted to obtain these, however after searching in the idgames archive I couldn't find them. So I'm guessing the answer will be "no".

Do you guys know something about them?

Perdition's Gate is available from Tom Mustain's website. He came by Doomworld a few years ago & here's what he had to say: "Regarding downloading - the rights reverted to the creators years ago. Who do I need to talk to at DoomWorld to make that clear so people don't get banned for linking a 20 year old Doom add-on?"

Considering Perdition's Gate was released alongside Hell to Pay it's very likely that Hell to Pay can be freely distributed as well.

I don't know the status of the Lost Episodes of Doom though.

The full version of Hell to Pay is still up on Andy's website as an ISO file, though you can also download a slightly smaller ZIP file if you don't want the extra stuff that only runs on DOS as far as I'm aware. It's been up for a long while so I suppose freely distributing Hell to Pay isn't too much of an issue.

Download on front page: http://www.visionsofdoom.us/

If I recall correctly, a version of Perdition's Gate can be obtained from the Doomed Speed Demoes Archive. You might want to take a look at that!

I also just remembered that 'Laura Beyer's Doom', (one of the lesser known commerical WADs) is on the page that Erick linked above. It's a terrible episode replacement with a bad reputation, but you might find that interesting as well! :)

Ah, this is great! Thanks for all the links. And what the hell is THAT Laura Beyer's Doom? I'll download it because it seems to be pretty rare but man, it looks terrible.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, The Maverick013 said:

Ah, this is great! Thanks for all the links. And what the hell is THAT Laura Beyer's Doom? I'll download it because it seems to be pretty rare but man, it looks terrible.

It's a shitty total conversion of Knee deep in the dead with new textures and sprites. You can get it from here:

https://archive.org/details/lbdoom

(Thanks to Owlman for the link)

It's garbage, not good garbage like nuts.wad. This sucks and you are wasting your time if you want to play this.

Yes, I just saw some videos and it's far from being good, but I'll download it collecting purposes and for those times I want to atone my sins by punishing myself into oblivion.

There is a project to add Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay to /idgames: see here and here.  @Jon, this would be amazing if you could complete it, but I do recognize your TODO spans the observable universe already. :>

Yeah I haven't chased Tom Mustaine but he never replied when I asked him about it. The repack job was simple so someone else could try without much effort. 

I'm not sure if the Lost Episodes of Doom was ever made freely available. You can download it from abandonware sites, but I can't speak to the legality of that. You can also download Doom from some abandonware sites--and Doom clearly isn't abandonware.

The Doom Wiki page for The Lost Episodes of Doom includes links that will get you most of the maps. Most of the maps in that megawad were already released at some point by Chris Klie and Bob Carter, so they've packaged all but 2 or 3 of the maps from the commercial release.

5 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I'm not sure if the Lost Episodes of Doom was ever made freely available. You can download it from abandonware sites, but I can't speak to the legality of that. You can also download Doom from some abandonware sites--and Doom clearly isn't abandonware.

The Doom Wiki page for The Lost Episodes of Doom includes links that will get you most of the maps. Most of the maps in that megawad were already released at some point by Chris Klie and Bob Carter, so they've packaged all but 2 or 3 of the maps from the commercial release.

bob carter's maps in that set are some of teh most intriguing early levels imo
not in terms of gameplay though LOL
it's some glorious weirdo mapping from hell

I just checked and it looks like all but one map from The Lost Episodes of Doom were made available and can be found in the archive as separate wad files. I wonder what's the deal with that one map.

On a different note, Perdition's Gate music is great!

2 hours ago, The Maverick013 said:

I just checked and it looks like all but one map from The Lost Episodes of Doom were made available and can be found in the archive as separate wad files. I wonder what's the deal with that one map.

Which map is it? Jovian Déjà Vu Again by Bob Carter (E3M8)?

If it's that one, I'm pretty sure that the reason is because Bob Carter and Jonathan Mendoza brainstormed the idea for that map specifically as the finale for The Lost Episodes and it's actually almost entirely one of Chris Klie's maps, just with minor re-texturing and a few other twists.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, Jaws In Space said:

it's very likely that Hell to Pay can be freely distributed as well.

Nice to see them switching to the free2play model rather than keeping the outdated hell2pay.

The maps in h2p are quite okay, but the sprite replacements are really, really bad.