Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
protgent

title screen demos.

Question

when in gzdoom it does not play those demos. how do i turn them on and how can i record my own?

8 answers to this question

GZDoom will only play back demos recorded in the same version of GZDoom, so you can record your own using GZDoom itself, but as soon as a new version of GZDoom comes out the demo will be broken, and given how often the port updates, it's sadly probably not worth it as your demo will be broken in just a few months.

Vanilla demos will still work in vanilla, which will be the same standard til the end of time, but even then they only play back in vanilla-compat ports. Sadly the title screen demos are pretty much ALWAYS ignored in modern wads due to all this..

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

but as soon as a new version of GZDoom comes out the demo will be broken

im making a iwad/standalone game. and im not updating the source port.  so if i record a demo. it will appear on screen?

That’s right, as long as it’s being played in the same version of the same port it was recorded in, it will work.

GZDoom may not even have demo playback at all in that case, though I thought it did.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

GZDoom may not even have demo playback at all in that case, though I thought it did.

In all the years Ive played GZDoom I've never seen it start or play a demo while waiting...

From the Demo page of the Zdoom Wiki:

ZDoom is also not compatible with the vanilla Doom demo format and will therefore not play the demo loop from the various supported IWADs. Because of the lack of backward demo compatibility, it is not advised to put built-in demo lumps in a ZDoom mod, as they risk getting obsoleted. Instead, a scripted TITLEMAP can be used.