Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Post your Doom 64 picture

I really like seeing people making more maps for Doom 64! I particularly like the Doom 64 Retribution source port, but I think it doesn't have all of the custom lighting options that D64 mappers like (I think).

I picked up this rare Doom 64 Promo poster off of eBay for like $17.99. Hell yeah! Gonna put it in a picture frame!

Man, I love how simple and to the point that poster is! So many other titles have to spam the set with all kinds of blabber, chaos and what not. Here, it's just the imposing visage of DOOM. Nothing else needs be said.

I had that poster on my wall when I was 13, I forget which mag it came from.

Sadly, my giant city map has gotten too big for Doom 64's britches. I'm thinking of heavily truncating it to see if it can work better in smaller confines.

6 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Sadly, my giant city map has gotten too big for Doom 64's britches. I'm thinking of heavily truncating it to see if it can work better in smaller confines.

Is the D64 editor better at nodebuilding yet? I've been gun shy about using it since my last level got destroyed. 

I have not had a problem with it in the last few years of using it and Doom Builder by default keeps backups as well. I don't think anyone reported a problem in the Community Project thread either, so far it looks like there's Goatlord's blockmap limit issue for large maps and that's it.

Without looking at the corrupted wad there's no way to tell what went wrong and where.

You have a limit of like 30,000 lines or something, I don't recall the exact number. Even when I kept it under the limit, the level started crashing randomly. I thought it was macro related, although everything was working find until the map a certain level of detail.

Doom Builder Shot of my map 29 replacement. I called it Blood Chasm Castle, dunno why I named it that other then all the blood through out.

https://gyazo.com/d5c8135d5d5715131b6b4ad1b37b72d7

Ingame:

https://gyazo.com/9f32ed1375fd75cc7a32d9b54e3af0bc

https://gyazo.com/8c3f40811d4e1bba505cc889864d580e

https://gyazo.com/2ed8e6635e24e0613a17ffd22cbd39da

Edited by Mithral_Demon

On 7/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, DustFalcon85 said:

I picked up this rare Doom 64 Promo poster off of eBay for like $17.99. Hell yeah! Gonna put it in a picture frame!

My search has narrowed it to two potential issues of Nintendo Power magazine. Issue 95 and 96. One of the posters was a long 3-fold foldout with some artwork as shown on the cover below (Issue 96). It's weird because part of me thinks it's indeed from Issue 95, but my cursory search on the internet didn't bring anything up.

I too own the promo poster. I bought on eBay for $3ish around 2013. I also potentially thought that it could've been an insert in early release copies of the game? Though the size does not really match up. Plus my CIB copy of the game doesn't include it.  If I recall, the poster is just shy of being the same height as a Nintendo Power magazine. It was unusual for NP to give out posters that weren't the long 3-fold variants, but it did happen, that's for sure.

image.png.04cfcb1690172182136efa46f57c5f07.png

image.png.5ef5cd6369a17408a82ee1ee717026fa.png

On 7/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, GoatLord said:

You have a limit of like 30,000 lines or something, I don't recall the exact number. Even when I kept it under the limit, the level started crashing randomly. I thought it was macro related, although everything was working find until the map a certain level of detail.

Know I'm a bit late here, but presuming it's the usual powers-of-two deal, the limit is probably 32,768. Possibly one less, if they're storing that signed. (But I really don't know why you'd do that for lines...)