Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nekr0s1s

Unpopular Modern Opinions

What are your unpopular modern* opinions?

*Modern as in everything from 2008 to the present day.

here are some of my own (subject to updates):

- Duke Nukem Forever is pretty fun for what it is.

- I don't mind the two missing stages and other stuff in the PC version of Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round. All i wanted was a cool true 3D fighting game.

-

- Spec Ops: The Line should be mandatory playing for anyone who is a fan of story-based gaming

- "Walking Simulators" (oh how I loathe that term) are not inherently bad

Advanced issues found

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

- Spec Ops: The Line should be mandatory playing for anyone who is a fan of story-based gaming

Yeah, I need to one day play Spec Ops just for its story, even though the gameplay probably won't do much for me. And who said anything bad about walking simulators? (I kind of like the term.) The Stanley Parable was brilliant. 

9 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

Duke Nukem Forever is pretty fun for what it is.

Agreed. Everyone shits on DNF for the wrong reasons.

On 7/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Both popular opinions.

- EA isn't evil, it just needs to support a lot of shareholders. Imagine a pack mule with 5,000 people on top and EA is the pack mule.

- Epic Games Store isn't bad, it gives me all sorts of desirable free games.

- Mass Effect 1 has all the glaring and comedic downfalls as Aliens: Colonial Marines, but you can fuck someone so it becomes a 9/10 game.

- Shovelware isn't killing Steam, it's people being conditioned to wait for discounts and bundles that's killing game sales.

- Shmups are dead, especially when there's only one at $50.

- Waifus overcome less desirable genres like shmups.

- Axiom Verge became popular because there are no official Metroids outside of Nintendo. Same for Stardew Valley. There were no Harvest Moons.

- People bought Undertale, thinking it was an Earthbound game as it has similar art and its from a furry that created Earthbound fan games. The graphics are all over the place on that game.

- Crypt of the Necrodancer is an awful game. It took months for the devs to get it to a playable state for me and then when they did it was awful. Two of my least favorite genres mashed up. The only thing that makes it good is the art and the music.

- Good game art is 90% of what makes a good game.

- Indie games are only popular because thank god you don't have to pay $60 for them.

- Pixel art games suck and should be free by now.

- Duke Nukem Forever is a good game once you get past the first two hours.

- Borderlands (and many multiplayer games) is a terrible game that you have to bring friends with and that's what makes it a good game. They wouldn't be your friends if you didn't have a good time with them.

- Aliens: Colonial Marines is a good game, with glaring issues.

- Valve isn't the devil for making Steam, but Valve is for making lootboxes.

- People that excessively like Portal, the Witcher, and Dark Souls seem like brainless quote bags.

- People feel Spec-Ops: The Line is so underrated it's become overrated.

- Braid isn't a masterpiece. It's quite bad.

- Limbo is an overrated flash game with up for jump.

- Nintendo needs to bring its Virtual Console to the Switch and we will see how well indies flourish.

- Switch E-shop has filled with junk and that's why you see games on sale for 9 - 99 cents.

- Gunpoint was stolen from the Art of Theft.
- I'll end with a quote from my cousin's fiance "I like Fallout 76, because it's a different place to hang out with my friends online."

On 7/13/2019 at 11:34 PM, Maser said:

Dark Souls is not a hard game. 

GTA5 sucks compared to GTA4.

Woah are you trying to get Doomworld burned to the ground from outsiders? Dark Souls isn't a hard game, I agree. Keep your shield up and you'll be fine. GTA5 is awesome and GTA4 had too much realism to social satire.

I will judge how unpopular my opinions are based on the likes I get.

Edited by geo

Oh yes, and while I already posted it in the 'retro' thread, it apparently fits here:

Dungeon Siege III is the best game in the  series.

- The game design in the Dark Souls games is atrocious. I watched some footage on YouTube and thought I was watching a bad mod for another game.

- Fallout 4, for all it's faults, is still a great game with much improved gunplay and the best world Bethesda has created. I also experienced relatively few bugs and I do not think it crashed on me until I started adding a lot of mods.

- The Shadow Warrior reboot was terrible. Repetitive gameplay, damage sponge enemies and some of the worst level design I have ever seen. Painfully linear and lazy. Look beyond any of the artificial barriers that funnel you to the next arena and there is literally no detail beyond the barrier. Murders what little immersion the game had. I could not bring myself to play more than a few levels.

ah, and while we're here: The Witcher is a boring visual novel marketed as RPG.

p.s.: and this time i am absolutely serious.

12 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

What Remains of Edith Finch is very good despite barely having any gameplay.

The game is pure gameplay :/

14 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Yeah, the term is bad, and yes, there are many great games in that genre, they are just for people who care about stories and characters.

6 hours ago, ketmar said:

all modern games sux. "indie" games sux twice as hard.

Most modern games do, but the indie scene in terms of quality and artistry is what is keeping the industry healthy now and since some years ago.

8 hours ago, Maser said:

Dark Souls is not a hard game. 

GTA5 sucks compared to GTA4.

I have played little of Dark Souls, and is a little difficult but i the "game is near impossible" meme comes because "gamers" nowadays are used to dumbed down, hand holding simplistic videogames that are barely anything else than cutscenes and set pieces, barely any skill based gameplay.

Regarging GTA4, i played little of it and i am currently playing GTA5 for the first time, but the controls in GTA4 are downright atrocious, specially the vehicles, it feels more like a tech demo than anything else, and even though it has stuff that GTA5 lacks, the latter is just a masterpiece.

While we are at it: Cuphead is not hard... Is unfair, big difference.
Is a game (and i hate those kind of games) DESIGNED for you to die, it can get insanely stressful and nerve wrecking because of that, not to mention that is also designed to not playing it alone but for two players, which is ridiculous.

Just now, D88M3R said:

The game is pure gameplay :/

Nah, you just walk from point A to B while texts guide you, even the so called minigames are too restricted. I played it and enjoyed it, but not really for it's gameplay.

5 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

Doom 2016 and Eternal are awful.

Throwing money in to freemium games is self-humiliation.

Have you played Eternal already? D16 is ok, is better than most generic hallway modern fps at least. Not great, though. 

4 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Nah, you just walk from point A to B while texts guide you, even the so called minigames are too restricted. I played it and enjoyed it, but not really for it's gameplay.

I would say it has "minimalistic" gameplay than anything else, i am trying to come up with a game that has less gameplay but i cannot remember anything right now, but there are a few that are practically cutscenes. Also, i thought that the popular opinion is that is a great game? Which it is btw.

18 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

I don't mind the two missing stages and other stuff in the PC version of Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round. All i wanted was a cool true 3D fighting game.

Although that's awfully specific, that's pretty much how I felt about the PC version of MK (2011), a.k.a. MK9. It does not have the PS-exclusive Kratos, or the special Kratos stage, but other than that it was an awesome game and much easier to hack. The boss mod was awesome.

Just now, Loud Silence said:

I saw and it was enough.

That makes your opinion invalid. Eternal might be similiar to 2016 but i'm 100% sure there's gonna be a demo for the game, 2016 had one. Come back when you play the demo.

The only reason CD Projekt Red can make big budget RPGs on an AAA (openworld RPG studio) scale is because they're based in Poland and underpay their workers.

- GTA V is terribly overrated. It's prolly a popular opinion at this point but anyway, I've seen plenty of footage of it and cannot comprehend how so many people worship that game so hard. Even back when it was released and I read about how it sold millions of copies in just a few days I couldn't get what captured the attention of so many people. Yes, I've also played some of it and I don't feel like coming back for more.

- Casuals are not "a plague for gaming". Yeah I know, that's not about a specific game but I see this idea popping up an awful lot so to me it almost looks like casuals are an universally despised category these days, and how games and their mechanics allegedly suck because of them.

- Pixel and retro styled games are awesome.

1 hour ago, D88M3R said:

but the indie scene in terms of quality and artistry is what is keeping the industry healthy now and since some years ago.

+1.

7 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

The only reason CD Projekt Red can make big budget RPGs on an AAA (openworld RPG studio) scale is because they're based in Poland and underpay their workers.

Shouldn't that just be a fact due to how you're phrasing it

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but I'm conflicted the portrayal of the Doom series today. Doom 2016 feels like how people who never played any Doom game imagine what Doom is like. I understand why the "rip and tear" testosterone fueled power fantasy would make for a fun game, but on the same token; You're in fucking hell. You should feel like the entirety of the underworld can crush you faster than you can say "John Romero is about to make you his bitch". Despite the flaws, It's still one of the best fps games we've gotten in the past 5 years.

Doom 3 Was really Boring, I know a lot who enjoy them, but to me All I see in Doom 3 is Dark Corridors where you chase out Demons, that's all I see.

COD Black Ops was Average at Best.

46 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

Not sure if anyone else has said this, but I'm conflicted the portrayal of the Doom series today. Doom 2016 feels like how people who never played any Doom game imagine what Doom is like. I understand why the "rip and tear" testosterone fueled power fantasy would make for a fun game, but on the same token; You're in fucking hell. You should feel like the entirety of the underworld can crush you faster than you can say "John Romero is about to make you his bitch". Despite the flaws, It's still one of the best fps games we've gotten in the past 5 years.

I think Brutal Doom is to thank, which in turn means the Doom comic is to thank.

I find it funny how things play out sometimes.. What was for years just an obscure, dopey little piece of Doom memorabilia ended up playing a significant hand in shaping the perception of the Doom series overall. I always thought the comic was funny in a “wow, this is so UNlike how I imagined the Doomguy to be” kinda way. I pictured a cool-headed guy who’s tough but smart and doesn’t crack under pressure, but we ended up with the roided-out rage beast. Oh well, it could be worse, the power trip aspect is fun either way!

ah, yep. doom reboot games are not Doom at all. they may be not bad arena FPS, but they are so far from "aliens meet the evil dead"...