Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Modern games like Hexen?

I'm looking to shoot some ogres, knights and cultist with my machinegunwand or bash them with my morgenstern in glorious first person view. Is there anything like Hexen available on PS4 or Xbox One? I found a game called Ziggurat and it's actually a lot of fun, but it feels like a bonus challenge mode you'd unlock after campaign, and there's no proper campaign here.

I was going to suggest Amid Evil but a quick google search tells me it's not yet available on PS4 or Xbox One.

you very likely allready own a laptop that could run amid evil on the lower settings at least

Do you want something "like Hexen" simply for the theme, or do you want something "like Hexen" for exploration-focused, semi non-linear gameplay.. you know, like actual Hexen?

If linearity is not a problem, Amid Evil will do the trick (it's awesome). Otherwise, I have no idea.

Yeah, Amid Evil is the only game that springs to mind. But it's more like Quake with a Hexen/Heretic feel. It's relatively linear, one level at a time, but some of the levels are huge and complex. But there's no hub system, aside from the one you use to select epsisodes; like Quake. If you're looking for extensive backtracking and "puzzle solving", and an inventory... I have no idea either. 

Possibly Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which I still need to finish. Every time I start that game something else comes up and I forget about it, but it looks promising, if not bugged to hell. But Vampire: The Masquerade was bugged to hell and it was still fun. I'm not saying buy Dark Messiah, but look at some videos and see if you like it. I did, from what I've played, I've just never gotten through the damn thing.

@amackert well, the best thing would be "really like Hexen", with semi-linear gameplay... I don't really like these pseudo-retro shooters like the remake of Shadow Warrior, where you go in a straight line and shoot thousands of enemies, and this somehow gets called "like Quake" or "like DN3D". For now I settled for... Thief 4, which isn't a shooter but does fantasy and quite a lot of freedom in linear levels. I kinda like it.

@Jello gotta find out more about level design of DMoM&M, because from snippets I saw it looks very simplistic in this regard.