Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

Back again with another map, a techbase/star-base themed level. Custom textures from the Mortiser pack by Nick Baker.

This map requires Doom2.wad to play. It is -not- vanilla compatible (It was mapped using the Boom format).

Entry.zip

Screenshots of the action below.

Screenshot_Doom_20190714_174315.png.d3fd096b2bc80a671ccb50439dd7b334.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190714_174234.png.202ec660345dd40bbf655266fff49c24.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190714_174100.png.a0c96e94606789277f297f05cebb2628.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190714_174036.png.6094807007d90558bc4d5864c985634a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190714_174011.png.5084a6c053bfb76ce57ed931deade3cb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190714_173936.png.062f6c6f75f2fb7cfabf1d0c1a3ef58d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190714_174056.png

I had fun! During one of the mancubus battles my cat (like always) decided to climb on me lol. Made it extra fun.

Spoiler

Gave this a shot. I really like the level of detail you use in your levels. You use detail in a simple, effective manner, and the aesthetic is enjoyable to traverse during a playthrough.

The imp trap at the start made me jump, so nice work there. After that, the tension dropped pretty sharply. There are a lot of moments in which you are shooting a column of enemies in front of you, and the map layout just lets you sit back in a comfortable position and snipe them, which isn't much fun. I want enemies to surprise me from the side, have some sort of strategic advantage, etc.

In contrast, you presented a room that ambushed the player with hordes of imps and lost souls. This was a more interesting endeavor, but my issue with it is that the room really forces you to use the rocket launcher. I found that if you eschew the use of the launcher, you suffer from extreme ammo starvation thereafter, and this isn't very enjoyable. I'm not great with the launcher, so using it effectively in the blue key room was an extreme exercise in patience. Presenting the player with more choice here will be a massive improvement.

I think you have a ton of potential as a mapper, and your levels look fantastic. Adding consistently tense gameplay moments that empower the player will go a long way.

5 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I had fun! During one of the mancubus battles my cat (like always) decided to climb on me lol. Made it extra fun.

Hide contents

I always enjoy watching playthroughs - We approached the map in fairly similar ways, although I think the mod you were playing gave way more ammo than I intended

4 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Gave this a shot. I really like the level of detail you use in your levels. You use detail in a simple, effective manner, and the aesthetic is enjoyable to traverse during a playthrough.

The imp trap at the start made me jump, so nice work there. After that, the tension dropped pretty sharply. There are a lot of moments in which you are shooting a column of enemies in front of you, and the map layout just lets you sit back in a comfortable position and snipe them, which isn't much fun. I want enemies to surprise me from the side, have some sort of strategic advantage, etc.

In contrast, you presented a room that ambushed the player with hordes of imps and lost souls. This was a more interesting endeavor, but my issue with it is that the room really forces you to use the rocket launcher. I found that if you eschew the use of the launcher, you suffer from extreme ammo starvation thereafter, and this isn't very enjoyable. I'm not great with the launcher, so using it effectively in the blue key room was an extreme exercise in patience. Presenting the player with more choice here will be a massive improvement.

I think you have a ton of potential as a mapper, and your levels look fantastic. Adding consistently tense gameplay moments that empower the player will go a long way.

The encounters were a little bit all over the place; easy, like the yellow key, or pretty tough, like the blue key. I honestly assumed everyone would approach the blue key room like I did - And I had that sinking feeling of "Oh shit" watching HAK's video of it as he shotgunned the entire thing. Because I rocketed (Most) of the imps I balanced the rest of the map around that - Definitely something to consider for future encounters I make. I was trying something pretty different with that trap - On one hand, you've been given a full compliment of rockets - On the other, it's relatively tight and the Lost Souls make rockets fairly dangerous.

---

For a bit of fun, I've made a video of my own playthrough of it - A "Developers intent" if you will (How I handle the dark imp "Maze" is not recommended). Shows off the secret at least that no one found (It's in the blue key room).

Shows off the secret at least that no one found (It's in the blue key room).

Damn - I humped the other openings, but not the first...

I am working with a custom mod (which borrowed from some other mods). I'll check if the ammo quantities are changed in the decorate files!

5 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I am working with a custom mod (which borrowed from some other mods). I'll check if the ammo quantities are changed in the decorate files!

@Immorpher - which mod? Just curious...

3 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

@Immorpher - which mod? Just curious...

It's based on Doom 64 Retribution (and Project Void), with the Doom 64 sprites and what not. I am adapting it so it plays friendly with vanilla-ish maps. I am also upscaling some of the weapon sprites and audio quality.