Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

Classic Doom level inconsistencies

I noticed how inconsistent some of the Doom levels are. Sometimes nukage makes a green glow on walls and sometimes not. Sometimes lava and blood does the same thing. In TNT, the game takes place on Io(moon of Jupiter) and there is grass on the ground. How? Post any similar things here. I guess you could also try to explain a few of these things. Maybe the grass on Io is because of a biodome?

5 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

I noticed how inconsistent some of the Doom levels are. Sometimes nukage makes a green glow on walls and sometimes not. Sometimes lava and blood does the same thing. In TNT, the game takes place on Io(moon of Jupiter) and there is grass on the ground. How? Post any similar things here. I guess you could also try to explain a few of these things. Maybe the grass on Io is because of a biodome?

Some people seriously read WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much into these things...

5 minutes ago, DoomSpud said:

Some people seriously read WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much into these things...

Yeah. Idk. I got bored.

4 hours ago, ChicagoTrash said:

Fair enough. I just like thinking about this stuff. 

Videogame producers do that today too. Too much thinking about such details, not enough about fun. But that’s just if you ask me.

19 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It amuses me to read complaints/observations about nonsensical aspects of classic Doom in a Jerry Seinfeld voice

What's the deal with the grass on Jupiter's moon?

What's the deal with the city maps?

What's the deal with catwalks over nukage?

Well since we're all having a nitpick... I'll join in too...

How can monsters breathe oxygen in the Mars moonbases? Does that mean there's breathable oxygen in hell too?
How can Doomguy have exposed skin in outside areas of the moonbases without instantly freezing to death in −112 °C temperatures?
Why doesn't he burn to a crips the second he lands in hell?
Where do Pain Elementals store all their Lost Souls?

Why? Why? WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!

Don't forget about how Revenants, Mancubi, Cyberdemons, SMMs, and hitscanners have seemingly infinite ammo, where does all that ammo come from?

Everyone calls doomguy a marine, but he doesn't seem to be an aqueous creature whatsoever. Dude can't even swim. Something doesn't add up here, Romero!!

Or they ran out of resources\time to do those things everywhere. Artists would love to make a million unique texture for everything but that'll never happen without access to crazy good programs, which weren't available back then. (Not to mention a real worry about games not exceeding specific sizes, where DooM was already too big.

Why Does the Marine run so fast, it doesn't matter, it's a game where everyone is supposed to have fun and not looking at anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by sincity2100

2 hours ago, almostmatt1 said:

Everyone calls doomguy a marine, but he doesn't seem to be an aqueous creature whatsoever. Dude can't even swim. Something doesn't add up here, Romero!!

He’s called a marine because his uniform was going to be aquamarine in color but palette limitations led to Id stripping almost all of the lighter and mid blues and the closest color mapping they could do ended up being way too green. But by that point they had already printed 10,000 user manuals and it was too late to rename him.

Inconsistency in liquid/damaging floors.

Sometimes blood does damage, sometimes it doesn't. From least damaging to most, the order is green nukage (5%), blood (10%) and lava (20%), but not always. On rare occasions, water does damage.

Most of the time if you fall in a nukage pit, there's a lift or teleporter. But not always.

Tech bases have "danger" signs warning you that a floor will do damage. But not always.

I find it pretty funny how Heretic takes place in like five different worlds and they all look exactly the same.

40 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

On rare occasions, water does damage.

This happens in iwad levels!? Which one(s)?

There are even those infamous blue mirrors/giant CPU wafers in E2M2 causing damage.

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Pauly Shore Doom. Someone get on that.

Wheezin' the demons! (yowls like a coyote)

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

This happens in iwad levels!? Which one(s)?

Ultimate Doom.  E3M3 comes to mind.

2 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

Inconsistency in liquid/damaging floors.

Sometimes blood does damage, sometimes it doesn't. From least damaging to most, the order is green nukage (5%), blood (10%) and lava (20%), but not always. On rare occasions, water does damage.

Most of the time if you fall in a nukage pit, there's a lift or teleporter. But not always.

Tech bases have "danger" signs warning you that a floor will do damage. But not always.

All are dependant on how much of an asshole the mapper is.

6 hours ago, almostmatt1 said:

The ultimate conspiracy

Guest Unregistered account

I'm pretty sure the liquid glows not being consistent is just down to the effect being limited to the textures that have it. Also I'm pretty sure the blood ones are supposed to be dried blood rather than a glow but that's also cool to think about.

I've never really saw either as a "glow" of any kind.  Just stain.  Blood does tend to make one hell of a mess, after all.  Nukage?  Not sure, but always saw that as stain.

To be honest it is also quite strange that a giant brown bull with a cyber leg is shooting volleys of rockets to me, but ok.