Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How were the audio/sound effects made?

Were they just premade sounds obtained from somewhere or were they made from scratch? I think the imp death sound is also used in other games like Age of Empires 2. The door sound I think is also featured in other media. Which audio is new and which was premade?

much of it is sourced from Sound Ideas and then cobbled together and edited in various ways. Perkristan gives a look at what kinda things were done here. The rest is recorded from various sources. What are these sources? you'll have to ask bobby prince I guess. He's mentioned some of the things he's done, such as editing a recording of a girl saying "why" for the archvile death sound, and of course there's the famous Icon of Sin sound. I can't find the post anymore, but Bobby once remarked when he needed a mechanical sound for a Duke Nukem game, he recorded a bit of the sound of a vending machine dispensing a drink at the office.

Well I know Bobby Prince made the music, but I was thinking about the actual sound effects. Things like the gun and monster sounds. I know about the arch-vile girl thing. I wonder if the zombie screams are just slowed down stock screams or if they actually recorded somebody screaming and then played with the sounds.

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Things like the gun and monster sounds. I know about the arch-vile girl thing. I wonder if the zombie screams are just slowed down stock screams or if they actually recorded somebody screaming and then played with the sounds.

I'm glad you didn't even attempt to read the thing I linked, as it explains the origin of quite a lot of the monster sounds, and a number of the weapon sounds. Though I guess to be fair the precise origin of the zombie and imp sounds isn't explained. Death sounds for both are from a set of camel recordings, I believe.

if your question is "what are the origins of beastly sounds in a 90's FPS game?", the answer is almost always "raw or modified animal sounds"

16 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

I'm glad you didn't even attempt to read the thing I linked, as it explains the origin of quite a lot of the monster sounds, and a number of the weapon sounds. Though I guess to be fair the precise origin of the zombie and imp sounds isn't explained. Death sounds for both are from a set of camel recordings, I believe.

if your question is "what are the origins of beastly sounds in a 90's FPS game?", the answer is almost always "raw or modified animal sounds"

I did read it, but as you pointed out there were many sounds that weren't explained.

I presume they come from stock libraries.

After reading the link: yes, they do.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:29 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Can anyone find the specific audio file of the girl that was used for the Arch-Vile?

On 7/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, Maximum Matt said:

My guess is Courtney Love 

It's highly likely, she was already in the studio when they recorded her pinky death snort.