Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a fun little map. Very nice visuals, including outdoor space done pretty well. You feel the three dimensions in this map with the tall appearance and numerous elevated monsters. It has only humans and imps, so it’s fun to shotgun your way through the mini-hordes.  

Bottom line: a fun, easy shotgun target practice with a sort of grand appearance

11 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@EtherBot, if you provide a list of the maps that do not depend on crouching, I will play those maps. 

that's slightly unorthodox but alright i suppose. i note these maps are not playable on pistol start.

it is easier to tell you which maps to skip (in other words, the ones that require crouching).

map02

map06

map09

map111

map20 is much easier when crouching, but still technically beatable if you dont want to crouch

25 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a fun little map. Very nice visuals, including outdoor space done pretty well. You feel the three dimensions in this map with the tall appearance and numerous elevated monsters. It has only humans and imps, so it’s fun to shotgun your way through the mini-hordes.  

Bottom line: a fun, easy shotgun target practice with a sort of grand appearance

Thank you for the review! The map was made easy because it's a map01 and well for me Map01's should be simple,fun and short. For future maps i will try to make the texture chanching more smoother. As for the Traps , they were meant to be easy.I hope if you play map02 you have fun aswell!

@nicolas monti

download the .wad

It looks fine for vanilla. It’s got a Knee Deep in the Dead inspired layout and progression with more of an E4 difficulty – sergeants everywhere keep you on your toes. It’s not groundbreaking, but there’s nothing to complain about.

Bottom line: classic Doom 1-style map with a bite

@Magicana

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a pretty basic Doom map without much to note except it uses some nonstandard textures. It also has a section that expects the use of rockets. If you don’t, you can get into trouble later in the very tight sections where rockets are much less plausible.

Bottom line: It's a pretty simple Doom map - not bad, not really exciting.

@noisebloom

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a first map, so it’s not great, especially the look of the thing, but it boasts some interesting ideas, like a lot of visible walk triggers (step switches) and an interesting arsenal combination. Progression is simple  and makes sense.

Bottom line: Some outside the box thinking is a good thing to start a mapping career

@HAK3180 - I appreciate the review! I've really enjoyed watching your videos - you always have a lot of good food for thought (now even moreso since I'm the mapper)...

@EtherBot

download the .zip

This is a megawad, but I can’t imagine many people being too keen on continuing after this opener. It’s crude visually and has almost no interesting combat. It’s just a little maze with nothing very clever or innovative about it.

Bottom line: It’s an orthogonal maze that lacks beauty or interesting combat

@EtherBot

download the .zip

I guess the idea itself works: hit a series of switches that open something somewhere. Keep doing until exit. It’s like the end part of the Factory or Tenements. But it doesn’t look good and the opposition does very little to keep Doomguy from simply running through it.

Bottom line: Press switch. Backtrack. Ignore monsters. Repeat. Win.

@EtherBot

download the .zip

There’s a little bit of fun to be had in avoiding the damaging floor via the oddly shaped safe sectors, but apart from the arch-vile, the monsters are pretty worthless. And again there is no visual appeal.

Bottom line: The best one yet, but that’s not saying much, unfortunately.

@HAK3180

haha very intrigued by your reactions so far. If you plan on continuing I don't want to spoil much. I'm curious to see how playing pistolstart the whole way through effects the playthrough since a lot of the pickups early on are fairly significant in later levels (but its all nullified over time, honestly). You should be fine... The levels begin very very open, which you point out, but they grow more constrained as you progress. I'm curious to hear your thoughts, but don't be afraid to be negative lol. I made these maps in 2016-17, nothing you can say can hurt my feelings at this point.

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a pretty basic Doom map without much to note except it uses some nonstandard textures. It also has a section that expects the use of rockets. If you don’t, you can get into trouble later in the very tight sections where rockets are much less plausible.

Bottom line: It's a pretty simple Doom map - not bad, not really exciting.

I was really starting to cringe when you were using up all your shells in that rocket section - Just thinking "Oh shit I didn't think of this". My intention for the room was predominantly to use rockets, but to put the player in two minds with the few Lost Souls that spawn - I personally used a combination of SSG and rockets, but I never tried it with just shells. Definitely my bad on that. It is possible to do the later section without many shells - You just need to escape back to the lit room and blast rockets down the little tunnel.

Definitely agree about that Mancubus. I was 95% of the way to taking it out but decided against it. I wasn't happy with it from the beginning.

I'm very pleased to be an inoffensive mapper now - Means they're not coming out quite as bad! Good points about the lighting from the lamps too.

4 hours ago, Magicana said:

inoffensive mapper

That's a great way to put it. I think the main things you're doing right at this point are twofold: (1) not trying to fix old maps (which I definitely waste waaaay too much time doing) and (2) making short maps, so that even if they're trash (they have not been), players still won't likely rage/boredom quit.

@Super Mighty G

Doomworld forum topic (project)

Note well: the player 1 start in the version I played was not the intended location. Although I was able to play the map, the actual progression/unfolding of the map is quite different than what this footage shows.

It’s a big one. At almost 800 kills, there’s a lot to do, and having played it, I’m not sure how much is necessary or even if order matters. That can be a bit frustrating, not knowing your relative position within a map you know is very large. But it’s got a great, clever layout and lots of challenging action. I thought the ammo balance may be a little off – there were parts were I couldn’t use enough bullets, but toward the end I was doing quasi-slaughter fights with no cells and very few rockets. Appearance is good.

Bottom line: I’ve played really long maps that I’ve enjoyed more, but the fights are good, the layout is skillful, and the progression really is clear enough at the end of the day. The ammo balance may require attention.

Edited by HAK3180

Oh my god, I forgot to move the player start back to the START after I was testing that room. How mortifying. I'm so sorry. No wonder you thought the progression was out of whack.

@Super Mighty G, hahahahahaha! Wow. Actually I do that all the time. I'd love to know where it is supposed to be though. That definitely explains a lot though.

I'm glad it was still playable.

16 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

Oh my god, I forgot to move the player start back to the START after I was testing that room. How mortifying. I'm so sorry. No wonder you thought the progression was out of whack.

Happened to me a lot in the early days. :) But now - using SLADE mostly - I seldom even move the player start at all due to the ability to start the map from any point with just a mouse-click. 

But that @HAK3180 was still able to play through it shows that at least you got a good layout. :) 

3 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

The link in my original post should have the fixed players start now. Again I apologize for the confusion.

EDIT: just read your post. :) Downloading now....

@nicolas monti

download the .wad

This one has a couple more gimmicks – a little platforming to start and a little more teleporting trickery, but it’s still the same basic style, and it’s still executed admirably. Not much else to say except I’m curious what direction this mapset will take.

Bottom line: classic Doom 1-style map with a bite

@HAK3180 I'll watch both videos today/tomorrow, here you go with 2 more maps:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ejbtuz2qx5ryprs/emsian-givetian.wad

Map03: emsian

Map05: givetian

On what is to come, bestiary will be added progressively, all species will be included, first 7 maps E1 style, then other types of tech, e2, alpha, doom2 techbase.. expect everything except hell, also small-mid sized maps that take 10 minutes or so.

@Finnthemapmaker

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the beginning, but from there it goes a little bit downhill. It still has some good fights and a decent appearance, but the style of fights and the layout, both of which are pretty good per se, end up, when taken together, contributing to a bit of a choppy feel. I’d also like to see some armor in this map! But it’s a fun map.

Bottom line: perhaps a little bit tedious but adventurous and fun

@EtherBot

download the .zip

My new favorite. It’s ugly, but it has a cool concept of  running back and forth between switches and their activation points on a narrow elevated maze with lava beneath. Pistol starting, you aren’t really able to kill the cacodemons that fly around and get in your way.

Bottom line: cool little gimmick

@theDia (I don't notice the door visible at 28:41, so I'm lost from then until 37:23. You won't miss anything if you skip that section.)

Doomworld forum topic

I did get myself lost for a short bit and a long bit. The short bit was because a lift needs something to draw more attention to it. The long bit was entirely my fault. Progression is pretty clear and a lot of fun. The big outdoor area serves as an effective hub and always has something new going on. Combat is much less tedious than Map 01, well suited to this kind of map.

Bottom line: I like it a lot more than Map 01