Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spaztacus

U Doom map - Boomstick

Hey there Doomworld!!!!  With Sigil out, I've gotten back into Doomworld playing and decided to brush off Doom Builder.  This is a simple E1M1 replacement.  Plan on working on at least a full Episode 1, if not 2, 3, and 4!!!!

Please let me know what you think.  Tested with GZDoom 4.1.2.  I don't think it is Vanilla compatible.  Difficulty not implemented yet.  I've never done a difficulty implementation before, so I'll have to play with that.  Probably sits at UV, or HMP+ as it stands.

Boomstick.zip

Did a playthrough of your map

Was pretty interesting. I quite enjoy Ultimate Doom (For all its limited roster and no SSG). It's probably the only default level track that I really enjoy. The dark maze managed to get me the first time around - I was pretty annoyed/impressed with that.

Probably an imbalance of ammo in the map between shotgun and bullets - Exacerbated because the only chain-gun (That I found) was later in the map in a secret.

I'm not a big fan of the shootable switch - It's very easy to miss, and is better suited for secrets and the like. Visually the only thing I will pick on (Because it's a nice looking UDoom map to my eyes) is that you forgot to lower unpeg the doortrak textures on the exit door, and I don't like the lit up switch for the exit (That last one is just preference).

Neat little map though.

@ketmar - thanks for playing

@Magicana- thanks for the play through. The shootable switch was really because of Sigil lol. I always felt like it was a mechanic not used often in the Doom Community. I also felt the ammo was off, but wasn’t sure how to balance if someone does not find the secrets. By the way, how did you feel about the secrets?  Too easy, not rewarding enough, too rewarding?  And, ugh, I hate that I missed the doortrak at the end. One of my biggest pet peeves and it caught me.  Thanks for the feedback. 

33 minutes ago, spaztacus said:

@ketmar - thanks for playing

@Magicana- thanks for the play through. The shootable switch was really because of Sigil lol. I always felt like it was a mechanic not used often in the Doom Community. I also felt the ammo was off, but wasn’t sure how to balance if someone does not find the secrets. By the way, how did you feel about the secrets?  Too easy, not rewarding enough, too rewarding?  And, ugh, I hate that I missed the doortrak at the end. One of my biggest pet peeves and it caught me.  Thanks for the feedback. 

The secrets I found were quite rewarding - I had the Wolfenstein 3d grin when I found that chaingun.

9 hours ago, spaztacus said:

Did you run it in Doom 1, or Ultimate Doom?

Doh! I had it running with Doom 2. I forget to change it sometimes.

2 hours ago, Magicana said:

The secrets I found were quite rewarding - I had the Wolfenstein 3d grin when I found that chaingun.

Hahaha

11 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Doh! I had it running with Doom 2. I forget to change it sometimes.

I have that problem sometimes lol

@Suitepee thanks for the playthrough.  Your play through is making me second guess the chainsaw secret lol.  Maybe I'll move it to one of the secrets you missed hehe.