Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You could make a pretty great survival horror game on this engine.

Just saying, Bethesda (I know you are reading these forum ;) but I can tell the guys at Id have made a really good engine. The AI is really some of the best I've seen. I think AI is the overlooked secret ingredient to a good survival horror game. I realized this while playing the Foundry level on Ultra Nightmare.

When you do certain things in the level such as pick up a key or flip a switch, a couple of Hell Knights spawn, with no warning at all. No music, no scary sounds, nothing. I was going towards the last arena when I hear hoofsteps somewhere and I said to myself "that can't be right, I killed everything". The massive door opens and the bastard just jumps at me, instantly ripping me to shreds because I had low health left. It was honestly one of the scariest experiences I've had in a game and games don't scare me easily. I play and watch horror mostly for the interesting atmosphere but this was genuinely scary. 

Another time I knew what was coming but I missed my shots on it. I panic and jump to the lower area of the level, thinking it would not come after me. I was wrong. It came after me like a freight train. I went up the jump pad and backed up into a corner, like a scared mouse. This guy is fast so I need to see when he's coming. He didn't come for about 30 seconds and I thought something was wrong but I didn't want to move. Eventually he jumped back to the main level but I was prepared with a stun blast and a couple of rockets.

I would love to see a Doom horror game spinoff (or even something totally different) using this engine where the unscripted enemies are smart and can traverse the whole level, just kinda doing their own thing. They know where you are but they are hunting and toying with you. Something like Alien Isolation but adapted to Doom. Maybe they could even have a smarter zombie variant that uses Deathmatch bot AI. Something that delivers the promise of Doom 3.

I can forsee a Snapmap level doing this. A.I. will have to be more scripted that you would like but a pretty good simulation can be made.

It's an idea I have thought about and concluded it's very possible to implement but I don't have the time.

Well yeah I mean Bethesda also publishes The Evil Within games and I hope the next entry in that series uses Id Tech 7. I also believe that The Evil Within 2 uses some Id Tech 6/DOOM code (though admittedly much of it is either new or holdover from the first game's version of Id Tech 5).

37 minutes ago, chemo said:

Well yeah I mean Bethesda also publishes The Evil Within games and I hope the next entry in that series uses Id Tech 7. I also believe that The Evil Within 2 uses some Id Tech 6/DOOM code (though admittedly much of it is either new or holdover from the first game's version of Id Tech 5).

I haven't played either of those games yet but I see a ton of potential in that. Are they basically Resident Evil with another name?

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Are they basically Resident Evil with another name? 

Basically, yeah. They share plenty of gameplay elements and were both co-created by one of the same guys (Shinji Mikami).

On 7/16/2019 at 4:05 PM, DooM_RO said:

I haven't played either of those games yet but I see a ton of potential in that. Are they basically Resident Evil with another name?

Kinda like Resident Evil, the Evil that resides (within). The title itself it's play on Resident Evil since both series were created by Shinji Mikami. It's a lot like RE.

I'm playing RE2 remake right now and just got past the Tyrant. It reminds me of my encounter with those Hell Knights. Games should do more stuff like that.

yea wonder what comes after this game? this is pretty much perfect cap off on doom for like another 5-6 yrs. solid sp + sp dlc + multiplayer

They should make a survival horror spinoff or DLC where you play as a weak scientist. Maybe let Tango Games have a go at it.

Because if you think about it, there is horror/survival horror potential in Doom, that blue keycard room from E1M3 comes to mind. Plus Ultra Nightmare in Doom 2016. Not everyone is the Doomslayer.

Doom 3 part 2! I don't think Doom will touch survival horror again, but they could make a new franchise.

2 hours ago, geo said:

Doom 3 part 2! I don't think Doom will touch survival horror again, but they could make a new franchise.

It could work as a DLC. 

If I were Id, I would use DLCs as testbeds for risky ideas, to see if people like them or not. Maybe they could even swap studios when they make DLCs. Like a survival horror DLC from Tango Games and something weird and experimental by Arkane, kinda like something you see from wacky but interesting community WADs that still fit the Doom gameplay.