Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theDia

Swapping color-palette between maps?

Question

Hi there Doom editing-gods,

a simple idea but probably not a simple solution.

The idea:

In a mapset suddenly you land in a grayscale world, after cleaning this map the world will be (doom)-colorfull again.

Theoretically it's no big deal to change the Doom-color-palette to a functioning greyscale (see below) one for a single map, but in a mapset....hmmh. Any ideas?

doompalBW.png

13 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, theDia said:

In a mapset suddenly you land in a grayscale world, after cleaning this map the world will be (doom)-colorfull again.

Not possible in original DOOM/BOOM.

However, if you use an advanced source port, like GZDoom, any colour or hue is possible.

2 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

However, if you use an advanced source port, like GZDoom, any colour or hue is possible.

Yeah I forgot to mention - I´m unsing GZDoom and edit with Slade, which off course let me choose a palette, but only for the whole set and this would ruin the gag. It also would be possible to add the color-changed-map as an extra wad-file, but this also would not work for me, because the set will be an hub-mapset.

I'm pretty sure the solution is somewhere in reach and I simply to stupid to see the obvious signs. :)

BTW @Kappes Buur - schicker Name - auch Rheinländer, oder?

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

It's possible in boom but it would be a pain in the ass. see that GoS wad that has a different colormap applied to the entirety of each map. You can also change the colormap for a map (or subsection of a map) dynamically by raising all the sectors above or below the specified height of the 242 control sector. it's not pragmatic if the set is slated for zdoom obviously, but it's definitely doable (I have some demo wads floating around where the map geometry insta-pops up and down on a timer and all the enemies change from one color range to another like they're in a disco club ;D).

a colormap generally is not a substitute for a whole new palette, but grays are one of the few palette ranges where a colormap approximation is actually really good.

You're in luck that for grayscale specifically, you can use desaturation instead of changing the palette or colormap.

Select all sectors, and in their light color properties, set desaturation to 255.

1 hour ago, Ribbiks said:

It's possible in boom but it would be a pain in the ass. see that GoS wad that has a different colormap applied to the entirety of each map.

WTF. I've been wanting to do this for years but was told it wasn't possible!

To be fair I did ask specifically about PLAYPAL, but still, better to know this late than never at least.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You're in luck that for grayscale specifically, you can use desaturation instead of changing the palette or colormap.

Select all sectors, and in their light color properties, set desaturation to 255.

Which would be great if I had started my work in UDMF, but the mapset was begun in 2002 in "Doom in Hexen-Format" which hadn't those nifty tricks available. Or is it possible to include just one UDMF-map in a wad without destroying the rest (three maps are already done) of it?

EDIT (just ten minutes later :) ):

It seems it is possible - even in a hud-based design. Of course I have to force myself now to use UDMF special features to not distract from the rest of the maps, but at least it seems my idea is doable in a way. If it works out like planned we will see. :)

Edited by theDia

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

WTF. I've been wanting to do this for years but was told it wasn't possible!

One of the reasons I've stuck with this format of mapping for so long is that I'm constantly surprised by how many cool things you can milk out of boom features + deh (and it gets even crazier if you add mbf). Many possibilities, comparatively few of which have been properly showcased in notable projects.

Here's a random vid from one of my test maps that swaps colormaps on a timer:

9 hours ago, theDia said:

BTW @Kappes Buur - schicker Name - auch Rheinländer, oder?

ehemaliger Rheinländer (Kölle Alaaf)

You found out that you can use maps with different formats in the same pwad.

If you want them all in the same format have a look at my tutorial

4 hours ago, theDia said:

Which would be great if I had started my work in UDMF, but the mapset was begun in 2002 in "Doom in Hexen-Format" which hadn't those nifty tricks available.

In Hexen format, you need to go through a script that will init every sector with Sector_SetColor.

4 hours ago, theDia said:

Or is it possible to include just one UDMF-map in a wad without destroying the rest (three maps are already done) of it?

Of course. Even Doom format! Each map is converted to the internal format when loaded, so it doesn't matter what the original format is; in the same that it doesn't matter whether a texture is in Doom's native picture format, or in PNG, or even in JPG, TGA, DDS...

54 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

ehemaliger Rheinländer (Kölle Alaaf)

Dann dürfte ich als Düsseldorfer ja eigentlich kaum mit dir reden. :) Heja DEG!

54 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

You found out that you can use maps with different formats in the same pwad.

If you want them all in the same format have a look at my tutorial

Thanks, I will do this after designing and testing the new level (I'm still not sure it will work the way I plan it at all). My biggest fear is that working in UDMF I will fall in love with all the new possibilities and rework the other maps completely according, which will put the release even further in the future (and I want my cacoaward in 2019 :) ). 

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

In Hexen format, you need to go through a script that will init every sector with Sector_SetColor.

Which would in case of the size of my levels be a real pain in the a**. :)

54 minutes ago, Gez said:

Of course. Even Doom format! Each map is converted to the internal format when loaded, so it doesn't matter what the original format is; in the same that it doesn't matter whether a texture is in Doom's native picture format, or in PNG, or even in JPG, TGA, DDS...

Isn't it great to see that even after almost 25 years of mapping in different engines one can still learn some new stuff about the classics?. That's why I love Dooms engine - it's an endless wonder.:)

26 minutes ago, theDia said:

Which would in case of the size of my levels be a real pain in the a**. :)

Not necessarily:

int i;
for (i = 0; i < 256; ++i)
{
	Sector_SetColor(i, 255, 255, 255, 255);
}

There you go.

26 minutes ago, Gez said:

Not necessarily:

int i;
for (i = 0; i < 256; ++i)
{
	Sector_SetColor(i, 255, 255, 255, 255);
}

There you go.

Great - so it would be possible also to change back and forth during the level progression. This opens a lot of new ways to bring what I have planned over to the player...