Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Tim Willits to Leave id Software

Welp, this is happening. 

On a personal note, he actually follows me on Instagram and has liked much of my Doom cosplay posts. 

In any case:

Godspeed, good sir. 

Edited by Man of Doom

I wish him every success in the future! I'll be interested to know where he ends up next.

Oh no! Who are we going to blame for everything bad from id now? Todd Howard?

1 hour ago, Chubzdoomer said:

I never was a fan of Willits.

The contribution of his that came to mind when I read this was E4M5, which was probably my least favorite map of the WAD, and one of my least favorite UD maps overall. The flow of it was... awkward, to say the least, and I really did not enjoy it.

I don't judge anyone who likes it, though - just my preference.

7 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

The contribution of his that came to mind when I read this was E4M5, which was probably my least favorite map of the WAD, and one of my least favorite UD maps overall. The flow of it was... awkward, to say the least, and I really did not enjoy it.

I actually liked that map, though the ceilings could have been a little less flat.

10 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Let me just quote the wiki then: "4M5: They Will Repent is the fifth map of Thy Flesh Consumed in Doom. It was designed by Tim Willits, with the original layout created by his sister, Theresa Chasar."

He didn't even design that map, at least not all on his own. I would speculate he took a familiar layout to get up to speed on the id tools.

As for special multiplayer maps, that is obviously bullshit. I would recommend people try playing Super Mario Brothers 3 from 1988 and look at the special battle mode level there. Chances are pretty good that the people at id has played this mode.  https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3/Battle_Game

I won't cry any tears over Willits departure, but he did create som good Quake maps, e1m2-5. His other sp maps aren't all that good. DM6 is an often played map, but it is very simplistic and from a design point of view not very interesting. DM2,3,4 are much more interesting maps and play well. DM5 is his best looking dm map, but it doesn't play very well unfortunatly. DM1 is ok, but nothing more and suffers from being a weird intro to dm map without the more powerful weapons and powerups.

Whether he did or did not invent standalone DM maps as a concept (and the evidence suggests he didn't), still have to recognize him for pushing the envelope on Quake's multiplayer scene to the max as a esports standard and industry dominator and his involvement and spirit of driving QuakeCon even all these years later.

Thanks Tim for your contributions to the id gaming legacy over the years, and best of luck on future endeavours!

2 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I wonder how many of the id software personnel that joined before John Romero left in 1996 that are still with id software today are left?

Having had a quick look at Moby Games it looks like the oldest employees at ID are

Since Wolfenstein

Kevin Cloud - Artist

Donna Jackson - Office Manager

Since Quake 2

Marty Stratton - Producer

Since Quake 3

Robert Duffy - Programmer

Since Doom 3

Andy Chang - Artist

Patrick Duffy - Artist

Jerry Keehan - Level Designer

20 minutes ago, zokum said:

Let me just quote the wiki then: "4M5: They Will Repent is the fifth map of Thy Flesh Consumed in Doom. It was designed by Tim Willits, with the original layout created by his sister, Theresa Chasar."

He didn't even design that map, at least not all on his own. I would speculate he took a familiar layout to get up to speed on the id tools.

Oh - I never knew that, and that's interesting to know.

14 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

Having had a quick look at Moby Games it looks like the oldest employees at ID are

Since Wolfenstein

Kevin Cloud - Artist

Donna Jackson - Office Manager

Since Quake 2

Marty Stratton - Producer

Since Quake 3

Robert Duffy - Programmer

Since Doom 3

Andy Chang - Artist

Patrick Duffy - Artist

Jerry Keehan - Level Designer

Pat Duffy moved to Bethesda studios. No longer with id. Just for future reference

Heading to Nintendo or Epic Games?

Probably because Quake Champions and RAGE failed. Still, people often overlook his achievements.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Oh no! Who are we going to blame for everything bad from id now? Todd Howard?

Pete Hines. Eternal is gonna have MTX, mark my words.

TBH I'm kind of ambivolent about Willits leaving, what with him playing a major part in influencing my gaming habits, but also being a total and utter selloutin recent times advocating for always-on DRM and the like.

53 minutes ago, geo said:

Heading to Nintendo or Epic Games?

He'd be a good fit for Stadia :P

I can't remember if it's an interview or a completely fabricated memory (I have those from time to time), but I think I remember Willits laying claim to q3dm4, which is a simple duel map which I always appreciated. Presumably he had other imprints upon quake 3 so the dude can't be all bad, I reckon that was the last game where one guy could be responsible for all facets of a map though.

4 hours ago, Chubzdoomer said:

Ironically (Edit: not ironically) he had almost no role what-so-ever in the development of DOOM '16

What are you basing this on? I'm not saying you're wrong, but how exactly do you assess how much of a part he played in that game?

Regardless, I know people like to shit on Willits a lot, but I do have a level of respect for what he created during his time at id. Doom 3 was and is a great game, though I understand why some people hated some of the design and creative decisions of the game. Rage had a fresh batch of problems as well, but that game was at *least* equally hampered by technical issues that I don't see Willits being responsible for. He's certainly partially to blame for the design problems in the game, however. I haven't played Rage 2 yet, but the complaints about that seem to largely echo those of the first game (great combat, sloppy story and pacing.) 

All in all, I would say Willits is a capable designer who, from what I can see, tried to take on too many other roles that he wasn't as good at. He probably should have just stuck to his role as a level designer. Being good at level design and crafting gunplay doesn't mean you should take on the role of creative head or director of a game. When Willits did that, the results were usually less than stellar, as Rage and Quake Champions demonstrate. Sometimes it's a better idea to just stick to your strengths.  

Edited by Caffeine Freak

5 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

What are you basing this on? I'm not saying you're wrong, but how exactly do you assess how much of a part he played in that game?

Regardless, I know people like to shit on Willits a lot, but I do have a level of respect for what he created during his time at id. Doom 3 was and is a great game, though I understand why some people hated some of the design and creative decisions of the game. Rage had a fresh batch of problems as well, but that game was at *least* equally hampered by technical issues that I don't see Willits being responsible for. He's certainly partially to blame for the creative problems in the game, however. I haven't played Rage 2 yet, but the complaints about that seem to largely echo those of the first game (great combat, sloppy story and pacing.) 

All in all, I would say Willits is a capable designer who, from what I can see, tried to take on too many other roles that he wasn't as good at. He probably should have just stuck to his role as a level designer. Being good at level design and crafting gunplay doesn't mean you should take on the role of creative head or director of a game. When Willits did that, the results were usually less than stellar, as Rage and Quake Champions demonstrate. Sometimes it's a better idea to just stick to your strengths.  

Exactly what I think, he should have stayed a level designer. 

Sad to see him go but I'm excited for where he goes next with his career. He's had an impressive run so far, definitely a guy I have a lot of respect for.

1 hour ago, scalliano said:

Pete Hines. Eternal is gonna have MTX, mark my words.

TBH I'm kind of ambivolent about Willits leaving, what with him playing a major part in influencing my gaming habits, but also being a total and utter selloutin recent times advocating for always-on DRM and the like.

He'd be a good fit for Stadia :P

Because it will last 2 - 4 years before Google throws in the towel? Maybe Oculus wants him.