Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

this is prolly better posted in "unpopular opinions", but... bioshock is overrated. it is a mediocre shooter with a cheap attempt at story.

now you can shoot me.

Some games do cut scenes well, but in others I just want to throw the disk out of a window and into a ditch.
Doom 3's got on my nerves as sparse as they were, but in the og Halo trilogy, I was actually interested and watched them even though you could skip them.
Unskippable ones are a letdown if the games story blows, Half Life proved that a game doesn't need cinematics to tell a great story, but if I'm going to watch it, it better be good and not in the middle of gamplay just to tell me that "I can't open random door yet".

48 minutes ago, ketmar said:

this is prolly better posted in "unpopular opinions", but... bioshock is overrated. it is a mediocre shooter with a cheap attempt at story.

I'll double down on that, with "System Shock 2 is overrated, too" :)

How different is Half-life 1 npc dialogues from 2? Because if they are the same unskippable exposition dumbs I'll go with a big NOPE.

In HL1 you get to just ignore the NPCs if you want to, HL2 shoves them in your face and doesn't let you move on until they're done talking. Beginning of Red Letter day? It's like the dialogues in the first chapter of HL1 but re-used much more often.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

59 minutes ago, grommile said:

I'll double down on that, with "System Shock 2 is overrated, too" :)

I... kinda agree, because the physics and gunplay in that game absolutely suck balls... Yes, I get it, it was not meant to be a full blown shooter but that's still no excuse for the gunplay and physics to be garbage.

I like the game for what it is, and I enjoyed it when I played it, but at the same time the original Deus Ex is how SS2 should have felt imo.

1 hour ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Some games do cut scenes well, but in others I just want to throw the disk out of a window and into a ditch.
Doom 3's got on my nerves as sparse as they were, but in the og Halo trilogy, I was actually interested and watched them even though you could skip them.
Unskippable ones are a letdown if the games story blows, Half Life proved that a game doesn't need cinematics to tell a great story, but if I'm going to watch it, it better be good and not in the middle of gamplay just to tell me that "I can't open random door yet".

The main difference here though, is that HL still has cutscenes, and unskippable ones no less, just that it doesn't rely on cinematics for them. This is why people who are not interested into the story aspect of the games will have a very hard time enjoying them.

39 minutes ago, seed said:

The main difference here though, is that HL still has cutscenes, and unskippable ones no less

Half life 2 was bad for that in a way, as was already stated with the red letter day chapter and through out at least once a chapter.
The only ones I can think of for Half Life 1 on the top of my head is Inbound, the test chamber control room, and endgame, I think the end sequence of Blast Pit counts too, but I'll admit that was cool as hell.

13 hours ago, seed said:

The main difference here though, is that HL still has cutscenes, and unskippable ones no less, just that it doesn't rely on cinematics for them.

yeah. the several times when the game strips player of controls were mostly in-universe logical. it wasn't like most other games doing it: "ok, you crossed the trigger line, now your avatar is completely controlled by a script, and will do the things on his own". that is what makes me mad -- i want to maintain at least an illusion of choice. even if some dialogue or scene is not skippable, at least allow me to roam around freely while it lasts. it may not change much, and it still will be a cutscene in a technical terms, but i won't feel myself like a zombie, driven by irresistable will of unknown god. ;-)

14 hours ago, Pegg said:

How different is Half-life 1 npc dialogues from 2? Because if they are the same unskippable exposition dumbs I'll go with a big NOPE.

They're still there, but there are less of them, and they don't go on for as long. Lot of NPCs who talk to you but they don't lock down the level like they do in HL2 so you can just walk away from them.

One thing I just noticed with an "ehhhh". Every game now has a Reveal-o-vision. You know, you press a button - WAZOOM - a shitty filter obscures the screen and interactive things get highlighted. You spend up to 30% of the game looking at it this way. Batman has it. Far Cry has it. Witcher has it. Thief has it. Pretty much every open world, even semi-open world, has a version of it. Every time there's a different (weak) story explanation for this superpower.

Of course the real reason is that games are overdesigned and art direction is more important than gameplay - without this thing you wouldn't know where you can go and what you can touch. I'd rather have PS2-era graphics with clear visual direction than this lazy, intrusive solution that takes me out of the game (it's so cool I have a magical power of HIGHLIGHTING LIGHT SWITCHES).

Just... ehhhhh.

The fact that they made me terrible at playing real games I used to be good at as a child because of all the hand-holding.

37 minutes ago, Szuran said:

One thing I just noticed with an "ehhhh". Every game now has a Reveal-o-vision. You know, you press a button - WAZOOM - a shitty filter obscures the screen and interactive things get highlighted. You spend up to 30% of the game looking at it this way. Batman has it. Far Cry has it. Witcher has it. Thief has it. Pretty much every open world, even semi-open world, has a version of it. Every time there's a different (weak) story explanation for this superpower.

Except that in the Arkham games it's an integral part of the experience. Detective Vision plays a big role during Predator challenges and aids you in building a strategy for flushing out the thugs occupying the rooms, especially those you can't see directly. It has a noticeable impact upon gameplay, which was designed to take advantage of it.

It's also part of being Batman y'know, a game like the Arkham ones would not be what they are if they would be missing such iconic gadgets or abilities.

Batman was one of the first and it didn't bother me back then, I don't know how I'd react now. I'm just fed up with this thing being in every new action game I pick up. Or I just started to be.

My Thief 4 adventure continues and oh boy... I enjoy this game, but it's a stew of bad modern design decisions.

I come and see some character and I'm supposed to choose my upgrade. Make my arrows not make noise when hitting. Make my steps completely silent. Make my moves in combat faster so I can dodge quicker.

And since I haven't had a single chance to use combat moves or arrows, I'm just imagining cool scenarios where I have to work around the fact my arrows hit loud or my combat skills are low so I need to avoid fights. And I'm thinking: why would you deprave me of this challenge? Why did you design it in the first place if you don't want me to take it? How much more interesting the game would be WITH all these things to think your way around?

Someone here mentioned pointless upgrades. I think I like pointless more than these. Pointless just don't matter, here it's like they strip the already dumbed down gameplay. And why would I NOT choose them? Say I want to add challenge, but why do I have to do this artificially, in an immersion-breaking way?

Also, why not make me really work for upgrades? Or the other way around - why not STRIP me from these conveniences the more I'm experienced to add challenge? Like marble floor appeared later in Thief 1 and suddenly you're not quiet anymore. It's, like, the obvious thing to do? To increase difficulty, not to make me basically a god?

Oh sure, there's the high difficulty level, but... it doesn't allow you to attack characters other than guards. ...why? I wanted to go for this difficulty but this limitation is making the game even more artificial than it already is.

Funny thing, I really dig this game for some reason and continue despite these flaws.

Edited by Szuran

the meme culture ruins the immersion of some games.

I hope id does't put a fucking floss dance tount in doom eternal

I don't think they will but they allready had some stupid taunts in the doom 2016 multiplayer

I didn't like the 2.5D era in fighting games and lack of good range of known 3D fighters. For one of these reasons, it was a hard decision to drop the genre. In 1990s, the genre had so much variety to choose from, which those games will never be re-released or have sequels.

Other than that, it's rare to find any modern games I like. I usually go for old school games that I haven't played before or old school inspired.

Besides modern Doom, Daemon x Machina and Dark Souls are the only ones I like.

The fact that Bethesda can take down Doom 1-3 from backwards compatibility on Xbox One after releasing them natively for the platform.

The fact they remove multiplayer from all these games.

The fact they make these ancient and now exclusively single player games ONLINE ONLY.

48 minutes ago, Szuran said:

The fact that Bethesda can take down Doom 1-3 from backwards compatibility on Xbox One after releasing them natively for the platform.

But you do realize this can happen with virtually any other game, right?

This can't happen on PS3, which will run my PS1 games till the end of time, offline, update or no update.

This can't happen on PS2, which will do the same.

This can happen only in the shitty landscape of service-based gaming where you don't own a goddamn thing.

The fact that the video game industry and fans encourage people to take video games waaay too seriously and get really worked up over them... I now understand people when they say, "get a life, nerd"

I'm not sure if anybody has already stated this. But I'm so sick and tired of these game companies, and clueless people online labeling gamers who want to preserve old or potentially losable media "pirates". No idiot; Online based video games/storefronts don't last forever (Exhibit A, for if you still don't believe me). Whether it be a game with no physical release that's download only, or a game that has NEVER BEEN DOCUMENTED ON EVER (cough cough- Exhibit B); It sucks to see content that developers worked so hard on fall to the wayside, because of corporate greed.

A more recent case of this happening is Doom 1&2 on the Xbox Live Arcade, and Doom Classic Complete on PSN. I actually talked about this recently, I know Bethesda took them down to push the new unity versions of Doom; But it still sucks so bad. What people often forget about piracy; Is that without it, we can't play games like Scott Pilgrim vs the world (Xbox360, PS3), Contra & Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (Wii), hell; Even Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSI, 3DS). 

Look, if you're interested in this kind of stuff; I'd recommend looking at https://delistedgames.com/, the colossal list of dead video games is actually astounding. I just wish people would stop focusing on the negatives of piracy so much; Because there indeed is a positive side to it, as with everything.

1 hour ago, Memerz1 said:

Look, if you're interested in this kind of stuff; I'd recommend looking at https://delistedgames.com/, the colossal list of dead video games is actually astounding. I just wish people would stop focusing on the negatives of piracy so much; Because there indeed is a positive side to it, as with everything.

I always say digital distribution is the death of culture. I got a friend who's like: "why you need all the boxes?", and my answer is: "because without the boxes I wouldn't be able to play 007 games", for example, since these games will NEVER, EVER be re-released due to licensing. If they were made in the time of digital distribution, they would be lost FOREVER.

I like old games. I like to know that I have them and am able to play them anytime I want. And that no one is going to take them from me.

Also, yes, often old games do reappear, but reappear changed. Like we've just seen with Doom. Everyone is in uproar because of Lucas making old Star Wars unavailable, just remastered editions, but when they do the same to gaming, no one seems to care.

Though physical distribution might still have its purpose, for nowadays' games it should at least change the format. One, because not all PCs come with a disk tray anymore (and this is very unlikely to ever reverse with all the push for digital), and because they can't store nearly enough memory for the games anymore. There's triple-A games that come with 3 or more CDs because of how much space those games take.

Memory sticks sounds better imo, considering how much they can store these days. And no risk of rendering them useless by scratching or keeping them in inadequate conditions, unlike CDs. It can be very annoying to keep CDs in near perfect or good condition, a condition that will only be temporary.

I would also like to add that compatibility is a valid concern, so even if no one's going to take them away from you, and thus they're forever yours to keep, you'd be left only with relics and memories once the fateful day when they'll no longer be capable of running finally arrives, and there might not be anyone interested in making fan patches to fix those issues.

2 hours ago, Szuran said:

Also, yes, often old games do reappear, but reappear changed. Like we've just seen with Doom. Everyone is in uproar because of Lucas making old Star Wars unavailable, just remastered editions, but when they do the same to gaming, no one seems to care.

Just like everything, it depends on the situation. If the remasters are a vast improvement over the originals while still being very faithful (say, they come with all the expansions, bug fixes, add support for higher resolution, better control scheme you can change at any time, perhaps a save system the original never had, and so and so on), then there's really no reason to cry for the originals, unless the new versions come with modifications that break stuff.

Duke World Tour is a good example in this case, as GB's modifications to the original files have rendered them unusable with source ports such as eduke32. The team behind the port had to make modifications in order to support the new files, and even then, they're only partially supported. At least currently, as far as I'm aware. Not to mention that GB has no interest whatsoever to ever bring the original expansions and the platformers back, Randy made that explicitly clear, saying that "anyone who was interested in getting those expansions and platformers would have bought them by now".

Hyper-realistic graphics. Although I appreciate high-fidelity graphics to an extent, they stopped impressing me once they became capable of depicting a reasonable level of realism in a polygonal world. I miss the more abstract artistic styles that resulted from working with limitations with older hardware. They inspired the imagination to fill in the gaps, and had a certain charm and character that I don't feel that much with modern titles.

Although I'm being a little nostalgic, I just don't see them as a priority, and a potential detriment towards maintaining a balanced game development effort. If there is sufficient manpower for eye candy, then I'm all for it, but not at the price of refined game mechanics and bug quashing vigilance.

besides, most human characters still lives in uncanny valley. please, studios, stop making one bad horror game after another! because your characters makes me shit my pants.

5 hours ago, Aldaraia said:

Hyper-realistic graphics. Although I appreciate high-fidelity graphics to an extent, they stopped impressing me once they became capable of depicting a reasonable level of realism in a polygonal world. I miss the more abstract artistic styles that resulted from working with limitations with older hardware. They inspired the imagination to fill in the gaps, and had a certain charm and character that I don't feel that much with modern titles.

Although I'm being a little nostalgic, I just don't see them as a priority, and a potential detriment towards maintaining a balanced game development effort. If there is sufficient manpower for eye candy, then I'm all for it, but not at the price of refined game mechanics and bug quashing vigilance.

Hyperrealistic graphics with a complete lack of simulation.

Yeah yeah yeah, that's great that your game has photorealistic coffeemachines in photorealistic kitchens. THEN WHY DOES THE COFFEEMACHINE DISPLAY CONCRETE WALL BULLET HOLES WHEN I SHOOT IT? IT EVEN MAKES THE SOUNDS OF METAL RICOCHETING ON METAL! Just make the coffeemachine explode in random bits of machine doodads.

-Microtransactions.

-Cheap ass DLC , especially things like selling extra characters for a fighting game for example.

-Digital only releases. Yes I know its the way today but 10-15 years down the line and you want to play that game you bought again, can you? There's no way to be sure.

- Day one patches of obscene size. I'm probably getting picky now but there shouldn't be games being released that need that much patching up on release. You couldn't have got away with this back in the day.

-loot Boxes.

Yes, looking back at what I've just written I am indeed stuck in the 90's.