Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Doom: Annihilation update

The trailer makes it look like another generic, military-themed space-drama-fest that nobody gives two craps about. I'll pass.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:55 AM, TheMightyHeracross said:

Right there in the trailer, 23 seconds in: "We've opened up a portal to Hell"

Look, I know you wanna hate-circlejerk the movie and hey, I don't have particularly high hopes myself to be honest, but come on.

THIS. 

It's almost an impossibility that Doom: Annihilation is going to be great by any measure, and a high chance that will be terrible. With that said, there's something to be said about criticising stuff that honestly is troubling or was shown, rather than just inventing issues out of nothing. 

As for the box art, the first thing I personally thought of was this:
image.png.6ddd627df64d9feb86675178482a7287.png

image.png

I'm still going to give the movie a chance. That doesn't mean that I will like it, but how can I know I won't like it if I don't watch it?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:03 AM, kknot5889 said:

I did not possess her. I did naaaaat.

If a lot of demons killed each other, the world would be a better place to live

2 hours ago, ([zen3001]) said:

If a lot of demons killed each other, the world would be a better place to live

You're tearing me apaaart, Slayer.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:10 AM, Ajora said:

"You’re gonna want to own Doom: Annihilation on October 1st."

Yeeeeeaa, no thanks.

Nah, I'm gonna pick this up for the memes if nothing else. As someone who watches low-budget trashy movies and actually enjoyed the 2005 one for all of its faults (and, my word, there were a LOT of faults) I still think this could be good for myself and a few mates to have a beer and laugh at.

Also, I'm torn on whether this cover looks better than the 2005 one:

510MANVRHXL._SY445_.jpg

Yes, I actually own this on UMD. Stop looking at me like that.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:02 AM, Đeⓧiaz said:

GODDAMIT THEY CAN'T PLACE THE LOGO ON THE CENTER:

JseF9IfMBlg.jpg

Hoo boy, where do I even begin with this cover?

Aside from the demon being off-centered, the demon itself just looks... generic in every sense of the word.

I mean, what are we looking at here? A Hell Knight or Imp with horns? Plus, for some reason, it just screams "Halloween mask that I can purchase off Etsy for $75" (and I say this knowing that there is some excellent shit you can get on Etsy for at least $150).

And I know I'm tooting my own horn here, but some time ago, I actually made a mock-up cover for this Doom movie in particular (and I made this in GIMP):

I mean, it's not exactly what a major movie studio would have to advertise their movie, but at least it's fairly evocative of the movie's content while not having the generic "monster in front of the camera" trope.

I'm still hoping that this Doom movie is going to be at least entertaining and faithful, even if it turns out to be a B-movie through and through. That said, I can't help but feel like that's an impressively low bar to clear, and I haven't been quite impressed with what I've seen so far, including the trailer.

Honestly, if this movie does somehow end up being worse than the 2005 movie, at least it should suck on its own merits and not because of what certain "characters" may say about it (and it pains me to say that they're gonna end up celebrating and pushing their clickbait even further if this movie ends up in the single digits of its Rotten Tomatoes score, critical or audience).

I still hope that Tony and the crew can end up pulling this off because I know that they've been doing what they can to actually treat the source material with the respect it deserves, but only time will tell. We still have the trailer that's supposed to come out next week.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:55 AM, Ajora said:

I liked this movie better when it was called 'Donnie Darko'. 

Donnie Darko Doom. Someone get on it.

I think there’s almost no chance this will be better than the 2005 film, that movie was not good but was still panned harder than it deserved, imo - there were some cool shots and memorable moments, it felt like a real movie because there was a big budget and some real talent involved.

I think the only shot this has is “so bad it’s good” status because everything I’ve seen looks worse (saying “hell” a few times a good film does not make). The costumes, camera work, set design and acting are all inferior at first glance. I even re-watched the old Doom movie just to fact check myself on that and it checks out. I know you shouldn’t judge a film by its trailer but that’s literally what trailers exist for.

Given the hate circle jerk that an “ok but not great” movie like Doom 2005 got, this thing is going to be ravaged by many many people. It kinda sucks in a way, I’m sure the people working on Doom Annthilation are doing the best they can - the budget was like 1 million wasn’t it? That’s a really small budget for an action film, I don’t think a lot of people realise how thin they had to stretch that to get anything made at all.

Expectations for video game films should always be in the toilet unless you want to be disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

there was a big budget and some real talent involved.

PMSL!!! You're funny :)

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Given the hate circle jerk that an “ok but not great” movie like Doom 2005 got

A hate-circle jerk that was 100% completely justified after fans waited more than a decade and finally got a movie that resembled Doom in name ONLY... Resident Evil in space is what that movie is. Not even that one first-person scene was enough to save the rest of the horrible mash-mash of themes, the bastardised plot and the absolutely abysmal acting from "talents" like The Rock... it was literally a backhanded slap in the face to the fans who had stood by the franchise since the beginning and was embarrassing when people who knew you were a Doom fan saw it and then asked "ummmm, so THAT's the game you're obsessed with?" and then having to explain that the movie doesn't resemble the games at all and actually gives a VERY WRONG impression to unknowing audiences of what Doom is. I've heard the argument that it follows the "Doom 3 plot" and it simply doesn't. It simply does not. There is NOTHING Doom about the Doom movie other than the title, a short FPS sequence, a couple of verbal easter eggs in the script and that's it. I was embarressed to call myself a Doom fan thanks to that movie. It actually made the entire franchise look bad.

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Expectations for video game films should always be in the toilet unless you want to be disappointed.

I cringe and die a little inside at the very annoucement of them...

On 7/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, scalliano said:

Nah, I'm gonna pick this up for the memes if nothing else. As someone who watches low-budget trashy movies and actually enjoyed the 2005 one for all of its faults (and, my word, there were a LOT of faults) I still think this could be good for myself and a few mates to have a beer and laugh at.

Also, I'm torn on whether this cover looks better than the 2005 one:

510MANVRHXL._SY445_.jpg

Yes, I actually own this on UMD. Stop looking at me like that.

YESSs, would love to see a yms on  this

On 7/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, kknot5889 said:

You're tearing me apaaart, Slayer.

anyways, how's your sex life?Untitled.png.44ae7d66bd9e1447a86a9d48b528ea3f.png

The only good part of the 2005 movie was the first person sequence at the end. It still didn't represent what Doom or any other fps looks like, it was too 'slow' moving. His reload times were at the last second & took forever.

When he should have started shooting he's just standing there (I know, shock value seeing the shitty looking demons) It felt more like a casual stroll on HNTR lol- but still it was good. (Am going to watch it again on Blu-ray)

I liked the idea of the teleporter, that was pretty cool. Besides some cheesy lines I liked Karl Urban and The Rock's performance but this isn't co-op lol it's supposed to be lone wolf, the "team" compliment was too much. 

I'll probably pre-order the new movie anyways but I don't blame id for coming out saying that they don't have shit to do with it. Whether now or even in 05 they could have done so much more with the movie.

Speaking of id, Tim Willits is stepping down, anyone know why exactly? Besides the fiasco with him, Romero, American, Carmack (not Adrian, and no relation lol) I always liked him. I watched his episode of Myth Buster's about Doom and how feasible it was to carry all those weapons. 

Even tho Tim wasn't at id from day one, I think he is the only original left? 

I was sad in 09 when id sold to ZeniMax. id was a great standalone company, too bad the forefather's fired each other and disbanded. 

I'm expecting a cheesy but fun b-movie, although I've been a bit embarrassed by the sheer number of people (very few of whom have an iota of filmmaking experience) that have spent the last four months trashing a 30 second trailer. I think a lot of folks are taking delight in having zero faith that a game movie could be anything other than shit.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Welfare Prodigy said:

but this isn't co-op lol it's supposed to be lone wolf, the "team" compliment was too much.

If it was ever gonna work with just one guy acting the shit out of it you'd need Tom Hardy or something.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, RightField said:

If it was ever gonna work with just one guy acting the shit out of it you'd need Tom Hardy or something.

Lmao Touche

Don't ever forget, the sequel to the Mortal Kombat movie was also tagged 'Annihilaition'. And look how that one turned out.

So, how many of you will be sacrificial lambs and buy that abomination on October 1st just so you can nitpick the fuck out of it?

41 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

So, how many of you will be sacrificial lambs and buy that abomination on October 1st just so you can nitpick the fuck out of it?

If it passes the time until Doom Eternal then hell yeah im gonna enjoy some cheesy campy doom stuff until then. 

I'm definitely gonna give it a shot just to see where it goes (but definitely no money involved).

On 7/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, Fonze said:

I loved The Rock's performance in the first Doom movie. 

Semper Fi mother fucker.