Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

When Do Your Maps Get Named?

Map Names  

80 members have voted

1. 1. When in the mapping process do you give your map a name?

• My maps are all called "Entryway"
    • I have a map name before I do anything at all
    • After some planning but before opening Doom Builder
    • At some point during the "actual" mapping process
    • When the map is complete or very close to complete

This is inspired, entirely out of curiosity, by a side discussion in a thread about favorite Doom II maps. I'm not asking when you create a CWILV or mess with MAPINFO, but simply when do you decide the map's name? Please vote and/or discuss.

I've only got four maps that I've put up so this is an amateur opinion, but generally I come up with a name during the "Brainstorming" aspect of a map - When I'm choosing a theme and vaguely choosing layouts in my head. The name isn't solid till I've created the first room in Doombuilder though.

I voted for "Entryway" though because I haven't looked into playing with mapinfo yet.

Generally I try to think of what a map's theme is going to be then give it a name based on that. Also I wanted to vote for Entryway because memes.

I generally have a name before I actually start drawing the map in the editor. That doesn't mean that the name won't change between the start of mapping and having a finished map, but I have one before starting.

I usually start sketching out ideas before I actually have a name and sometimes I have a large chunk of map before a name comes to me.

It depends if I have the map pre-planned or just messing with editor to a point when I have a map layout done/almoust done.

So generally, in the time span from "I have a map name before I do anything at all" to "At some point during the"actual" mapping process".

Of the maps I have completed, I'd say 9 times out of 10, I have a name in mind from the start (based on the theme, location, gameplay, etc.), but by the time I'm done - or near completion - the map has evolved into something more, and it gets re-named based on the final version. 

Usually when I have an idea and a theme in my mind, I build the map around it and leave deciding a name for it until later during the mapping process, so it's either "At some point during the mapping process" or "When the map is complete or very close to complete"

It depends.

For multi-map projects, I usually have a "plot" (or at least, a sense of progression) in mind first, and that leads to map names which leads to map design based on those names.

For single maps, I usually start mapping first and choose a name to fit once the map is well developed.

Not until after the maps are done, they have been assembled into the WAD, and it's time *UGH I GUESS* to make a dehacked patch. And at that, for tradition's sakes, I'll try to make sure the names are roughly-equivalent lengths to the originals they're replacing.

Was interesting doing this with Nine Inch Nails song/album titles and still keeping them (roughly) on-theme with The Becoming. I lucked-out entirely with E2M3 - Ghosts. ;)

I think map names are one of the most important aspects of a map. They're the first thing most players will come across, and set the tone for the entire experience. It doesn't matter how good your map is, if it's called something that doesn't match its character it can spoil the whole tone of the map.

So for that reason I often name my maps part way through making them. When you're right in the midst of solidifying the experience seems like the perfect time to know if a name suits the feel of a map. 

Nearly all of my maps (from 2013 onwards) were only named at the very end. Basically, I look at what I've ended up creating and try to think of a cool-sounding, snappy phrase to sum it all up.

Only exception is "Locked Room Mystery" from the Doomworld Omega Project, and even then, while I had come up with the name before I started mapping, I had a number of alternative ideas and didn't make a final decision until later.

I usually think of what my enemy types, weapons and map style/theme to decide the name of my maps before I actually make them. The map I'm making now is called Lemon Juice because it is an acid facility. And as you go on the levels, it goes to Battery Acid to SO2ClF, SO2 (Flouroantimonic acid). While a little gimmicky, it goes back on the line on the Ph scale because they get harder. Since the whole 3 levels are set in an acidic mechanical area, that where it gets its name.

I think in other cases naming a map before can guide you in a certain way to making what you want to achieve. Now Lemon Juice of all things isnt really a way to guide a player now that I look at it, but even before that I had the design of the maps in mind.

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Of the maps I have completed, I'd say 9 times out of 10, I have a name in mind from the start (based on the theme, location, gameplay, etc.), but by the time I'm done - or near completion - the map has evolved into something more, and it gets re-named based on the final version. 

Exactly what happens here. :)

Even with a lot of pre-planning the worlds we build in Doom tend to get a life on their own after the first few designed areas, so the final name mostly has nothing to do with what was the "production-title". :)

I usually have a general concept for a map going in, almost always with a MIDI in mind because I like making maps around the mood of songs rather than finding songs for the mood of the map. Feels more cohesive to me. Along these lines most of the time I have a name or two already created for a map going in, but I've also changed it while making the map. For me having a map and a song when designing helps me keep the tone in the map consistent.

Honestly, i don't really know what to name my maps most of the time so i guess i just think about something while im doing the mapping. Usually, i end up getting a name once the map is about 70-80% done.

on my side, is pretty rare when i make a new map first before to be named, i usually work first by naming the map and work around it. helped me a lot when i was working on my d64 maps

Changes from map to map/project to project. Sometimes I set out to build a map based on an idea for something particular, sometimes the build just evolves into something and it earns it's identity halfway through the process. There's no set formula for me.

Before opening Doom Builder, I usually have my entire map drawn on paper a Paint.NET file.
Among other things, map name and music are chosen way before the actual mapping phase.

8 hours ago, theDia said:

so the final name mostly has nothing to do with what was the "production-title". :)

Same with music. A lot of my stuff gets an early "working title" which usually stays until the lyrics are finished and I actually have a proper title.

I often have a generic map name during the development but the final name comes near the end.

9 hours ago, Bauul said:

It doesn't matter how good your map is, if it's called something that doesn't match its character it can spoil the whole tone of the map.

Any examples of such a phenomenon? As in good maps with terrible or ill-fitting names.

Sometimes a name occurs to me and I wonder what maps it might apply to. Other times it's a theme I'm going for with the map itself. Either way, I usually have the name before the first room is made.

I honestly can't vote on this poll, as my approach to map naming varies based on the project. For Triacontathlon, the maps are being made to a set of limits, so each map is named once it's finished or near finishing (sometimes the concept lends itself to some obvious names). Other times, like with Big Woodchip, the map was built with the name in mind. Occasionally a project gets a development name that sticks (for example, E2MWalter, an E2 map made for Walter). Way back when I was starting out, the name was the concept and I'd build to achieve that ("street.wad" would need to have some attempt at a street in it, for example).

In fact, generally speaking, I name the project before working on it and then, if that's one map, that map is also named that. If it's a multi-map project, then the map WAD files are generally something like ph_project-name_map01.wad, so I'll need to think of a name/find an appropriate song title at some point.

Usually when the level is complete or nearly complete. Sure I might have initially thought of some theme for the level, but that's unlikely to become the name of the level.

all of my maps were born from names. such masterpieces as "two rectangles and a door", or "three crates and a stimpak". don't ask for urls, tho: they aren't free (i don't want other people to steal my ideas!).

About 10-20% into mapping the level. It gives me a feel for what I want the rest of the map to be like.

In some cases, I do it earlier. "The Heavens Boil" (MAP12 of the as-of-yet incomplete Depths 2), for instance, was a name decided before the level proper was started.

Before I start working on a map, I make a new folder in my documents tab, the folder is then given the name of the map or wad.

Almost always near the end or even after it’s done. I usually have a theme in mind somewhat early on but I want the name to reflect the finished product, that’s why. Names can be cool and memorable but I think people might place too much stock in it. A rose by any other name is still just as beautiful.. or uhh something

tbh, i always remember maps by "mapXX from ABC". automatic doom map name generator creates excellent map names: completely unmemorable, so i can not bother trying to remember them. i will prolly add it to k8vavoom, so you can enjoy endless stream of new map names out of the box.