Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@eLeR Creative

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a pretty big map skillfully put together. Every part plays an important role, and they’re connected to each other organically. The combat is mostly good. A lot of it takes place in open space, but there are only one or two hitscanners that are borderline cheap. The traps can be fierce but usually not spammy. I had two fairly big (but not hard to address) issues. One is that I absolutely hate the beginning. It’s tight space with nothing but pistol and chainsaw, but you’re fighting a significant number of lost souls and a baron of hell. And secondly, I think the ammo and health need a readjustment. Beyond the terrible start, ammo is just too low for my liking early on in general. It seems there may be a plausible order to play the map and be in good shape throughout, but with how nonlinear it is, there should be decent pickups wherever you go, maybe not for health, but definitely for ammo. So, for honesty’s sake, I did spend a fair amount of time not enjoying this map, but I can’t say it’s not a good map overall, and I think pretty simple changes would go a long way.

Bottom line: Definite mapping skill is on display here, but Thing balance detracts

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I did get myself lost for a short bit and a long bit. The short bit was because a lift needs something to draw more attention to it. The long bit was entirely my fault. Progression is pretty clear and a lot of fun. The big outdoor area serves as an effective hub and always has something new going on. Combat is much less tedious than Map 01, well suited to this kind of map.

Well you probably waited to long to play this. :)

As in level01 a lot of the problems are already solved and the Cyber will give you much more trouble now. What I found interesting is that you missed almost all of the secret areas, even if I put some goodies visible but not reachable without them there and - off course - that you missed the door. :)

And the music...man, I'm so glad that in between I found some fitting (and longer) tunes. :)

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: I like it a lot more than Map 01

Me too, but this was created 15 years later. :) 

As mentioned often by me, it's so great that we mappers have now the possibility to watch players test our work before release, this makes it much simpler to see were to twitch a bit and were to add some action/hints/health/ammo.

Both maps have grown a lot in the last two weeks and will be part of a 4 1/2 map-set (4 big ones and a hub) which will be (as map02 is already) solveable in any sequence, but it will probably take more than a month before anything else is testable, because - due to this concept - a lot of finetuning between the maps is needed.

I can only hope you'll find the time then to play the complete set.

@HAK3180 I am most thankful for your feedback! I agree with you. I should have puted more health or armour in an area full of hitscanners (former humans). I think if i puted a megaspehere or a Blu armour this area would have been way more fun by miles.

6 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@eLeR Creative

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a pretty big map skillfully put together. Every part plays an important role, and they’re connected to each other organically. The combat is mostly good. A lot of it takes place in open space, but there are only one or two hitscanners that are borderline cheap. The traps can be fierce but usually not spammy. I had two fairly big (but not hard to address) issues. One is that I absolutely hate the beginning. It’s tight space with nothing but pistol and chainsaw, but you’re fighting a significant number of lost souls and a baron of hell. And secondly, I think the ammo and health need a readjustment. Beyond the terrible start, ammo is just too low for my liking early on in general. It seems there may be a plausible order to play the map and be in good shape throughout, but with how nonlinear it is, there should be decent pickups wherever you go, maybe not for health, but definitely for ammo. So, for honesty’s sake, I did spend a fair amount of time not enjoying this map, but I can’t say it’s not a good map overall, and I think pretty simple changes would go a long way.

Bottom line: Definite mapping skill is on display here, but Thing balance detracts

@HAK3180

Thanks for your time and opinion.

I can not quite agree with you regarding the placement of ammunition on the map (its small amount). This is not a mistake in designing only thoughtful action.

• First, you chose UV, and I designed this level of difficulty to make it really demanding - among other things, by the scant (but not insufficient) amount of ammunition.

• Secondly you play in a very aggressive way. In military terminology, they call it the reconnaissance by fighting :) As I watched your game, you often skipped ammunition, first aid kits, etc. (In summary, you collected about 50% of things) In the description I indicated that the map layout enforces a careful fight so you were theoretically warned.

As for the beginning of the game, I will first outline the outline of the story in the map description.

„In the prison, where we have been closed, there is an earthquake. The hell's domain has begun to penetrate into our world. From the portals began to go out demons who have slaughtered personnel and prisoners. Blood and fire everywhere. Using the confusion, we killed the guard and try to escape from here, before darkness swallows us.”

As you can see, the first sublocation is going to staged an escape from a prison possessed by demons. Scarce quantities of ammunition (prison is not an arsenal) dark rooms, demons coming out of nowhere were to introduce the player in the right climate and enforce appropriate feelings / behavior: fear, powerlessness, the need to get out of this place as soon as possible. The most important thing is to escape from this damned place, not kill every enemy you encounter.

Once again thank you for your opinion.

Hello, since you already played my SCOURGE4, i would like to see you play my SCOURGE2 and SCOURGE3. SCOURGE1 was my first WAD...and no...not very good. Not that im saying that the SCOURGE2/3 are better...

I appreciate this if you may...

Thanks! ;)

@eLeR Creative, It seems to me that most of the feedback you've gotten suggests the map is potentially "unfair" in different ways, including ammo and health balance. You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you want with anyone's opinion, including mine, but I don't think it's very productive to seek others' opinions if one is only looking to reinforce one's already held opinions.

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

If you care about Doom’s legacy and/or its milestone birthdays, this is probably something you’d enjoy: it’s kinda hybrid Doom 1-2 in its presentation and feel. Simple progression and decent challenge. I think it could use a few more shells.

Bottom line: A nostalgic, yet somewhat innovative opener

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

It’s tight and linear, but the space is used well. There’s a lot of height changes, scenery changes, and switch action to give this map a dynamic feel. Plus there are a couple fierce ambushes that give it a little bit of bite. Visually, I didn’t really notice much, which is generally a good thing.

Bottom line: straightforward confined action

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@eLeR Creative, It seems to me that most of the feedback you've gotten suggests the map is potentially "unfair" in different ways, including ammo and health balance. You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you want with anyone's opinion, including mine, but I don't think it's very productive to seek others' opinions if one is only looking to reinforce one's already held opinions.

It's not like that. I do not want to convince everyone to my arguments.  I wanted to explain why I did it. I value your opinion and other players very much. I already know that a restrictive amount of ammunition / first aid kits, etc. is not a good idea for designing a good (difficult / demanding) map.

I will keep this in mind when designing new levels and I will probably make a rebalance in "Get out of the dark".

@eLeR Creative, my apologies. I read too fast and now realize there were not formerly difficulty levels implemented. And truth be told, I don't always read a lot of the thread; I just find vital information, download, and play. So for future reference, I definitely prefer a little style information, etc. in the request itself, even if it repeats what's said in the thread.

@nicolas monti

download the .wad

Visually, I thought this one was a little more bare than some of this mapper’s vanilla work, but the design is really good. It’s the kind of map you’d remember later on because of its distinct circle approach. The flow works wonderfully and the combat is engaging, though I’m not a fan of the teleport cliché that happens a couple times

Bottom line: An identifiable Doom 1-ish map with good gameplay and perhaps too little health

26 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Bottom line: An identifiable Doom 1-ish map with good gameplay and perhaps too little health

Thanks, I'll watch it and I'll add a little health at the needed point, this is wip so your videos really help to improve the mapset.

Edited by nicolas monti

On 4/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I actually had two versions of the level (they are the same except for music and textures). French Doomer UV  Maxed it. 

That's a whole lot of nope lined up along the wall in that thumbnail, Jesus Christ.

31 minutes ago, DecoyZulu said:

That's a whole lot of nope lined up along the wall in that thumbnail, Jesus Christ.

If you play it with Boom, you should not have any problems. If you play it with ZDoom, however, it is the opposite.

45 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

If you play it with Boom, you should not have any problems. If you play it with ZDoom, however, it is the opposite.

Why's that? I've never used Boom before.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

Progression is usually smooth and easy to follow, though there are some very obscure trigger points. Visuals are all over the place but mostly scarce detail and somewhat random texturing. Combat is a mixed bag. There’s a ton of grind but some fun stuff too, sometimes gimmicky.

Bottom line: It’s not a great map, and it’s too long for such an early effort, but you can see improvement.

Here's two Doom maps for you to play if you have the time. Boom compatible. Shouldn't take more than an hour to play through, I think. I need some feedback on gameplay from someone who doesn't necessarily know my work, so I can get a feeling on where I am as level designer and what kind of difficulty I should aim for. Stuff like that. I'm rusty and out of touch but trying to get some new maps done. A video with some commentary on my two Gore maps would be nice and helpful.

Here's a link to the thread I made for the maps.  I've also attached the zip file to this message.

GoreM1M2.zip

12 hours ago, DecoyZulu said:

Why's that? I've never used Boom before.

It is because in Boom, the arch-viles and the imps don't move around because they are in the same spot. In ZDoom, they move around, allowing them to barbecue you.

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

There’s not much typical about this map, so some may not like it, but the only thing I don’t like about it is that there’s not more of it. It’s all about movement but it’s not a rigid platforming ordeal. The scenery is a lot of fun too; it’s a believable space that you want to take in.

Bottom line: Fun concept. I wish it were longer.

Hello fellow Doomer!

I'm fairly new to map making but I managed to make 2 maps (my first). I would love you to check them out and give an honest opinion about them. Magicana recomended me to check this post out so I did :) MAP02 was a struggle, I had to make the whole map from scratch because I messed up, first outdoor map :')

Works with GZDoom, no jumping but free look away :)

Cheers!

link: https://www90.zippyshare.com/v/bonYsSWO/file.html

@Casketkrusher, please provide a more direct link. I literally couldn't wade through all the ads and nonsense to download the file. Google Drive? Dropbox?

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Casketkrusher, please provide a more direct link. I literally couldn't wade through all the ads and nonsense to download the file. Google Drive? Dropbox?

Yes no problem I got a dropbox link for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jy4481o2b3ylq2/Doom - Condemned To Eternity.rar?dl=0

Edited by Casketkrusher