Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

Any new mappers you guys found interest in?

Is there a new mapper  you guys have noticed that is doin good wads or just improving if so who is that or atleast the name of the wad  ? And one more thing how can you tell someone is improving mapping wise?

2 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

I think I've played 3 maps of @Magicana

And I liked all of them so yes, he is a good new mapper

Thanks for the compliment :). The first two maps in hindsight are barely playable (The next two are much better) but constant improvement :).

3 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

I think I've played 3 maps of @Magicana

And I liked all of them so yes, he is a good new mapper

I second this. Especially like the progress, dude! 

But to respond more generally to the topic (And not just take praise which I like doing);

I enjoy playing through most peoples maps (Exceptions like Labyrinth spring to mind) but I enjoy them for their intended purpose and the skill set of the people making them. No, Bloody Knuckles by @noisebloom isn't Sunlust or Evilternity. It's not trying to be. I enjoy it on the merits of what the map is. I play through a lot of these maps thinking "I wish I could make a map like this", and I'm sure they do at aspects of mine as well.

In terms of seeing if someone is improving - It's easy and difficult. The way people take feedback is important - Do they acknowledge the main points of what they have been told, and what have they done to change it? I've improved with some things and slightly improved on others for my own mapping. As long as people are trying to do things better, that's all you can really do.

10 hours ago, Magicana said:

In terms of seeing if someone is improving - It's easy and difficult. The way people take feedback is important - Do they acknowledge the main points of what they have been told, and what have they done to change it? I've improved with some things and slightly improved on others for my own mapping. As long as people are trying to do things better, that's all you can really do.

Using this as a metric for mapper development is probably generally true, but shouldn't always be true.

As an artist, there's this very significant component of others' perceptions, i.e., you may have executed to your own vision 100%, but if people don't enjoy the map, you have failed at conveying that vision. This is why feedback is valuable. This is very much the philosophy of my current music project: push the envelope, but then use feedback and the notions of what others enjoy to maximize conveyance.

However, once in a blue moon, you'll have an artist that completely alienates his audience, does not compromise, and manages to be that 0.01% that truly revolutionizes his medium and ultimately changes perceptions of what is good.

I haven't seen this with Doom mapping yet (though I haven't played as many Doom WADs as others), but I can't discount the possibility. However, I'd imagine people who have created new genres may have been met with the same scrutiny; I kind of gather, for example, that some people at first just didn't "get" FPS's when Id was working their magic.

I really hope to see some new, different ideas in the Doom mapping community, and if someone out there is really trying to shake up the status quo, I will hopefully not judge them for not conforming, but progression would be hard to grok, I think...

Edited by noisebloom

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

Elend's first map, Hurt, shows real potential for some great things in the future.

I thought hurt was his second map?

Yes, second one. First one is here (and is quite garbage). Thanks a lot, Baaul, but having recently played more Doom, I realize how "boring" the gameplay in my map is. Also, how "static" my actual architecture is.

2 hours ago, elend said:

Yes, second one. First one is here (and is quite garbage). Thanks a lot, Baaul, but having recently played more Doom, I realize how "boring" the gameplay in my map is. Also, how "static" my actual architecture is.

I actually found it quite fun to play.

2 hours ago, elend said:

I think you're being too hard on yourself, to be quite honest! Hurt was actually one of those rare, hour-long maps that kept me engaged the whole way through - including the visuals, which feels like a tall order to create.

On 7/20/2019 at 4:02 AM, Finnthemapmaker said:

And one more thing how can you tell someone is improving mapping wise? 

Make more maps. Release them. Use the feedback given. I released my first solo map pack this year and tester feedback is invaluable.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:20 AM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Make more maps. Release them. Use the feedback given. I released my first solo map pack this year and tester feedback is invaluable.

This. I'm more of a modder than a mapper, but I greatly identify with the sentiment that feedback is invaluable. I only wish I got more of it, heh. :P