Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Casketkrusher

My very first WAD

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum so if this belongs somewhere else please say so.

Little bit of background, I've been playing Doom for over 20 years now and I recently got myself into map making, its the most fun there is! So this map is my very first I made. I used PS1 assets, music and sound effects because the PS1 Doom is the version I used to play a lot, kinda grew up with it. So that atmosphere is for me the best there is. I don't expect you to be mindblown by it because its my first, but notheless I want to show people that I can do make a decent map. My goal is to make a megawad with around 40 levels. So this one will be the first one in the megawad. I hope you guys like my first attempt at map making. I've tested it with GZDoom. 

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Doom - Condemned To Eterinity.rar

I did a playthrough of your map.

I actually quite enjoyed it. One of the secrets was quite stingy with giving a stimpack... After having to move through damaging floor for quite some distance. Maybe some other kind of pickup would be good here. Ammo was fairly tight, but decent enough to clear.

As a side note, it doesn't run in Boom (I tried after I played through on GZDoom), which isn't a big deal but might be worth noting for anyone who downloads the wad so they don't get a surprise :).

25 minutes ago, Magicana said:

I did a playthrough of your map.

I actually quite enjoyed it. One of the secrets was quite stingy with giving a stimpack... After having to move through damaging floor for quite some distance. Maybe some other kind of pickup would be good here. Ammo was fairly tight, but decent enough to clear.

As a side note, it doesn't run in Boom (I tried after I played through on GZDoom), which isn't a big deal but might be worth noting for anyone who downloads the wad so they don't get a surprise :).

Thank you for playing! Really awesome. Yes, the secret with the stimpack could get a bigger reward. I will note that Boom doesn't work in the future. I never tried Boom before myself so I didn't knew. I wanted to make it more of a survival kind of wad. I like the way of having barley any ammo so you need to play smart. The barrels in the room with the two chaingunners is a good example. Using those barrels to your advantage to save up some ammo. The other 3 armor bonus were right before the exit in a small alcove in the goo pit.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the map though. It definitely did feel a little bit survivalist. I also like loopy maps (In terms of progression I mean) so I enjoyed that part.

Punishing secrets can be an interesting design mechanic (Looking at you, Sunlust), but always much preferred to be a nice bonus. You could possibly even mitigate it with a full size medikit - That would come close to being neutral in terms of damage. Or a medikit with a radsuit to collect the other bonuses in the slime.

My only other recommendation would be to post your map for HAK3180 to play through. He's very good at looking at design and texturing and the like and giving good and useful feedback - Worth watching his stuff not only for your own map, but also for what he posts for other people. His thread is over here: 

31 minutes ago, Magicana said:

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the map though. It definitely did feel a little bit survivalist. I also like loopy maps (In terms of progression I mean) so I enjoyed that part.

Punishing secrets can be an interesting design mechanic (Looking at you, Sunlust), but always much preferred to be a nice bonus. You could possibly even mitigate it with a full size medikit - That would come close to being neutral in terms of damage. Or a medikit with a radsuit to collect the other bonuses in the slime.

My only other recommendation would be to post your map for HAK3180 to play through. He's very good at looking at design and texturing and the like and giving good and useful feedback - Worth watching his stuff not only for your own map, but also for what he posts for other people. His thread is over here: 

Thank you! I will take a look.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:56 PM, Casketkrusher said:

I don't expect you to be mindblown by it

Well, my mind was blown just a bit ;) As soon as I laid my eyes on those coloured lights, I fell with love with your map. I love the D64/PSXDoom ambience, so no surprise there. The map itself was very solid, I had faun with it. Not really difficult, maybe because I played it with Zagemod.

I found both secrets, but apparently I missed many monsters. 20, to be exact. When watching Magicana's playthrough, I see some enemies had not spawned at all for me. I'll provide a link to my gameplay as soon as I upload it to YT.

Great map overall!

2 hours ago, Yebudoom said:

Well, my mind was blown just a bit ;) As soon as I laid my eyes on those coloured lights, I fell with love with your map. I love the D64/PSXDoom ambience, so no surprise there. The map itself was very solid, I had faun with it. Not really difficult, maybe because I played it with Zagemod.

I found both secrets, but apparently I missed many monsters. 20, to be exact. When watching Magicana's playthrough, I see some enemies had not spawned at all for me. I'll provide a link to my gameplay as soon as I upload it to YT.

Great map overall!

Thank you, I love the PSX version so much, my preffered Doom :) I just finished my second map for my Megawad. It was very difficult for me because as my second map I didn't knew how to make an "outside" area with houses to go in but I managed to get the job done, there are some small sectors which glitch out the skybox for some reason (just black) and I have no clue how to fix this but its very minor, I will look into it some othertime. Personally I like this one over my first one. Its a lot tougher and the secrets are way more efficent and rewarding this time, again I did a bit of survival with not too much ammo but many strategic opportunities for a smart play. There is one enemy that will teleport or not, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. I don't know why though. Also I don't know if it works with mods or not. I only used GZDoom and everything works as intended (standard oldskool Doom controls). Boom doesn't work either Magicana told me. I work with UDMF format and if you have some tips for improvement I could use some help with teleportation, like how to teleport groups together. I now make different linedefs with each their own tag and enemy tag to spawn them. Its not efficent to work with and it takes tons of time to make them all work. Like I used 50 lines for 50 enemies in this one. Any feedback is welcome, I really enjoy making maps and I hope you like it too! Small note, it says its MAP01 but its actually the second map, I removed the first map from this WAD so you can jump straight into the new one. At the end I will compile them all together. I changed plans for the 40 Megawad idea, maybe 10 or 15 is more than enough. I don't know if I can keep up with quality and most of all fun maps to play. In the end its all about joy.

Cheers.

Doom_-_Condemned_To_Eternity_-_MAP02_-_Damnation.rar

Ok, here's my initial playthrough of your first map (with Polish commentary):

Spoiler

Played with Zagemod, and about 20 monsters didn't spawn at all for me. Then I tried it with Enhanced Vanilla Project and the missing monsters spawned. I haven't tried it with no mods.

Seems I named the video uncorrectly, because "Condemned to Eternity" will be the name of your mappack, not this single map. Sorry about that.

I'm looking forward to playing your second map, but I see you created another thread for it, so I'll post there. One suggestion, though: don't give threads names like "My very first WAD" or "My second attempt at map making". That's not informative at all and there are already dozens of threads named like that. Give the map's/wad's actual name as the topic.

17 minutes ago, Yebudoom said:

Ok, here's my initial playthrough of your first map (with Polish commentary):

Hide contents

Played with Zagemod, and about 20 monsters didn't spawn at all for me. Then I tried it with Enhanced Vanilla Project and the missing monsters spawned. I haven't tried it with no mods.

Seems I named the video uncorrectly, because "Condemned to Eternity" will be the name of your mappack, not this single map. Sorry about that.

I'm looking forward to playing your second map, but I see you created another thread for it, so I'll post there. One suggestion, though: don't give threads names like "My very first WAD" or "My second attempt at map making". That's not informative at all and there are already dozens of threads named like that. Give the map's/wad's actual name as the topic.

Thank you for playing, Too bad the missing monsters don't spawn with Zagemod, I'm not sure but maybe it has to do with the UDMF format I use? I'm fairly new to map making so I have not the biggest knowledge of everything yet. For my next maps I'm using a different kind of teleportation for enemies. I only tested it with no mods with GZDoom and everythimg seems to work fine, I'm going to release this mappack with the vanilla as well so people can use mods. I'm currently planning on making around 6 and 1 secret map. 

Cheers!

Played through map 3.

All good stuff again. I spawned some Demon or Spectres when I grabbed the berserk pack... Do they end up coming out somewhere later? I half expected them to teleport behind me, but they never did.

Ammo felt a little tight, but I also shotgunned pinkies after I got the Berserk pack so that's probably my fault.

Also: Looks like some Demons got stuck in the wall in that section with the gradually descending floors that ends up with a Mancubus+caco fight. Might be worth changing your things to squares in Builder - That lets you get really tight with your positioning (Along with snap-off).

Edited by Magicana

24 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/457022637

I play this at 3:01:26 into this playtest livestream. A nice PS1-atmospheric map; the only thing I didn't like was the position of the switch in the nukage.

Thanks for playing. I've noticed more people got confused by it. It actually lowered the platform in the middle of the nukage. I removed it and replaced it with something else instead. There's also a radiation suit this time around. Yeah, 40 maps is probably a bit to ambitious (heat of the moment, and proud to have made my first map). Just finished my 4th map for this. 

Cheers.