Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anonymous

What kind of case are you getting

I'm still undecided, I guess the color should match the monitor but I could get a -windowed Alluminum case with a blue neon light inside.(but will the neon light and alluminum just make it heat up like crazy since I'm also planning on overclocking my rig?)
-white, but the side slides open for easy and fast access to your computers guts.
-one I saw that was metalic grey and had hage fans on both sides of the case that covered almost the whole sides(which might be even better since I plan on overclocking my Rig for Doom 3)
-Black maybe? but that means I need a Black Monitor.

WT_ would you upgrade your computer case for a game? That's _______ ________.

I'll just be upgrading my laptop video card. No other upgrades required.

i am getting my self a chieftec matrix black fulltower

i dont advice overcloaking.. the chanse of messing things up is so big.. and do you really need to push those couple of hundred mhz out of a prosessor? do you need it.. i dont think so.. what do you want to do with that little bit of extra speed.. NOTHING.. there isnt any game out there that needs more then a 1ghz system

i my self wil get a watercooling kit.. cuz it makes no noise.. and keeps the stuff cooler then fans.. but i am not overcloking anything.. the risk is 2 big.. and i dont need it

I'm not upgrading my computer case just for a game. I'm building my own PC and thought that a alluminum windowed computer with a blue light inside would look amazing but maybe it would overheat even more because it's metalic and has a blue neon light. Why Overclock it because I want to get the most out of doom 3 as I can, and as long as I have a killer cooling system it shouldn't overheat to the point where it burns out that's another reeason I though of getting the case that's metalic grey because it has two fans covering both sides of the case.

Anonymous if your serious about a new pc, then you need to realize getting a top end pc isn't going to need overclocking to run Doom 3 at over 40 fps.

i am getting my self a chieftec matrix black fulltower

i dont advice overcloaking.. the chanse of messing things up is so big.. and do you really need to push those couple of hundred mhz out of a prosessor? do you need it.. i dont think so.. what do you want to do with that little bit of extra speed.. NOTHING.. there isnt any game out there that needs more then a 1ghz system

i my self wil get a watercooling kit.. cuz it makes no noise.. and keeps the stuff cooler then fans.. but i am not overcloking anything.. the risk is 2 big.. and i dont need it

Please tell me you're not serious. Please tell me this is a troll, and that you really aren't intending on getting a watercooler and then not overclocking.

First of all, the Chieftec cases aren't bad but I personally wouldn't use one. Something about my case weighing more than the rest of the system and falling apart the first time someone kicks it.

Secondly, if you have even the slightest clue, you're not going to fuck anything up by overclocking. Period. I know guys who knew jack shit about computers who've built their own systems, overclocked them, and then ran them at moderately overclocked speeds for months on end with nary a problem. The only way you'll screw something up is if you're ignorant or incompetent - though I could see how some of the people on these boards could fall into both those categories.

Thirdly, there are quite a few games out right now that won't run well on a 1Ghz system, or even a 1.4Ghz + system. As just a single example, UT2003 runs quite mediocre-ly on a 1Ghz Athlon, and even worse on a 1.5Ghz P4. To really get the game going with any kind of moderate detail settings, it takes 1.5 or so Ghz of AthlonXP or 2+Ghz of P4. There are other games, too - most notably Morrowind (and especially Morrowind: Tribunal) and GTA3.

Lastly, watercooling is much more dangerous and far more pointless than overclocking, especially if you're NOT overclocking. If you don't intend on overclocking then just get a gay-assed aluminum heatsink and a chintzy 5400RPM 60mm fan and be done with it. Quiet cooling, and you never have to worry about hoses breaking or leaking or the pump malfunctioning or anything like that. All you have to worry about is the fan malfunctioning, and there are sensors on all modern motherboards that will kill the system's power if that happens.

STOP POSTING IN HARDWARE THREADS, HAMMER-STROKE. You don't know what you're talking about. This isn't even the first time I've said that.

Anonymous, metallic (and especially aluminum) cases cool MUCH better than plastic ones. Go for an aluminum full-tower case from Lian-Li or Coolermaster if you're serious about overclocking.

And Alientank - while what you say is true, most of us aren't going to be happy with 40FPS. :P

Katarhyne said:

most of us aren't going to be happy with 40FPS. :P

I could be wrong, but isn't the human eye incapable of seeing this name of FPS? If so, what would be the point of more? :o

If I ever have to respond to another comment in the vein of "omg teh human eye cant see more than 24fps olololol~~~~" I will murder every goddamn person on the internet.

Sigh.

I'm not going to give the full explanation. You can find that on the web. Just, rest assured that when you're watching your computer render something in real-time it's going to take at least 50-60 frames per second to make the image seem fluid. Over a hundred is preferable, though once you get past 120 or so, it's largely irrelevant, graphically. It does make a difference in the speed of the rest of the game, however.

edited by Katarhyne: HAMMER-STROKE and I will be taking this discussion to PMs so as not to hijack the thread. Please continue. ^_^

NiGHTMARE said:

I could be wrong, but isn't the human eye incapable of seeing this name of FPS? If so, what would be the point of more? :o

In live-action TV, 24FPS is all that's needed, because each frame naturally blurs between the last frame and the next, which smooths it out a whole lot. With video games, there is no blur effect. Each frame is 100% sharp and has no indication of movement. So it appears noticibly jerky at 24FPS.

Now, if video games were able to produce realistic blur in each frame, similar to live-action film, then there would be no need for frame rates above 24FPS. Nobody has figured out a practical way of doing this.

If you're able, take a look at the 200MPH train level of Unreal Tournament. You'll notice that the outer walls have textures which are left/right blurred specifically for that level. It makes the walls look significantly smoother than all the other objects at a low FPS.

Wait, I pull something out of my ass, and AndrewB admits it as being right?

That aside, yes, when you think about it, a number in the order of ~15 sounds reasonable.

When immersed in a game, I can handle 15fps... but If I'm watching someone play, it looks horrible. I can't really tell the difference upwards of 50-60fps usually.

Now, if video games were able to produce realistic blur in each frame, similar to live-action film, then there would be no need for frame rates above 24FPS. Nobody has figured out a practical way of doing this.

This is actually not true. Most games run in a single thread and thus the framerate of the game is directly tied to the responsiveness of the input and the "intelligence" of the AI, amongst other things. The higher the framerate, the more smoothly the whole game will run - not just the graphical representation of the game world.

I would say that the human eye cannot distinguish FPS higher than, say around 60 FPS or so.

I do recall reading about a special mod that can be made to film projectors to make them run at 48 FPS instead of 24 FPS -- some people tried making some sample films at this rate, and people who viewed them were blown away at the difference that this made.

It is true that around 15 or 20 FPS or so, the human eye is no longer to distinguish between individual frames and the brain starts blending the images together into perceived motion, but I would say that up until 60 FPS or so, the effect gets smoother and smoother. If you try playing Doomsday with the 35 FPS limit turned on, and then turn it off for a higher FPS, there *is* a noticeable difference -- it's hard to explain because either way it looks smooth, but Doomsday at 70 FPS *does* look smoother than Doomsday locked at 35 FPS.

Fredrik, load op Quake 3 and play it at whatever fps you normally get (100 or something). Then go into the console, set "/com_maxfps 15" and tell me you don't see the difference. Then shoot yourself.

Lord FlatHead said:

Fredrik, load op Quake 3 and play it at whatever fps you normally get (100 or something). Then go into the console, set "/com_maxfps 15" and tell me you don't see the difference. Then shoot yourself.

Have you not read the discussion about blur and how real-life video has it and how computer games do not? I assume that you have, and that you're just kidding.

Lord FlatHead said:

Let's try another experiment. Hold your hand in front of your face, with the side against you. Move it sidewards, back and forth, as quickly as you can. Tell me that the eye registers individual frames at 60 Hz.

The whole point is that the eye loses its ability to distinguish between frames at a rather low framerate, but as Linguica pointed out, the more Hz, the smoother it will seem.