Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

SINERGY - A Vanilla Ultimate Doom Megawad - Now on idgames!

I can't download the file. It simply says "can't be previewed" and a DL link never appears. I tried disabling adblocker and problem remains.

1 hour ago, Bryan T said:

I can't download the file. It simply says "can't be previewed" and a DL link never appears. I tried disabling adblocker and problem remains.

because dropbox sucks cocks sorry. simply replace "?dl=0" with "?dl=1" in url, and you don't have to go through idiotic dropbox UI anymore, the file will start downloading instantly.

Finished E1. M8 gets zero love from me, but what a fun episode, particularly M6, 7, and 9.

I've just clocked E2 and I'm loving this so far. Between this and Sigil, I forgot how, without the SSG, you really fear a baron showing up. Especially when, as in this one, the rocket launcher ammo is sparse. The ammo balance is great. It's quite heavy on the damaging floors. You really have to get the most out of a radiation suit. That might annoy some people, but I'm okay with it.

Really nice line in secrets too. The E1 secret level exit really got me stuck to the point of noclipping around and finally figuring it out and feeling really, really stupid.

Yeah, this has made my weekend.

Hit the end of the third episode. I'm not quite as eagle eyed as far as spotting misaligned textures goes, but I did find this one outside area in E3M7 where the lighting appears to be set to flicker and it looks a bit odd. Feels very polished for the most part though.

Oh, I've been playing with Smooth Doom btw. No issues with that so far, not that I could think of any reason for it not to work.

Screenshot_Doom_20190725_024551.jpg

E2 preliminary ranking from favorite to least favorite, with horizontal space being relevant:

7 25     3   19   6 4  8

But what I really came here to say is

Spoiler

Surely E3M5 is inspired by Pandemonium but also And Hell Followed? Am I an idiot or this the first example of "cross-pollination"? 

Edited by HAK3180

@HAK3180 Horizontal space I'm assuming means 'how MUCH better (or worse) was this map than that?' but that alone gives limited context...you could have nine maps ranging from jaw-droppingly good to just good...or ranging from absolutely awful to just bad...or covering the whole gamut from good to bad...etc. I will say boss levels as the weakest looks like a trend...

I may be playing RC1, but the plasma rifle cacodemon trap in E3M7 did not work on Crispy or PrBoom+ -complevel 3. This is due to the cacodemons' sector's height being shorter than they are. I raised the total sector height from 24 to 64 in the editor and it worked fine.

I just want to say, thank you to everyone playing this and keeping me updated with progress and bug spotting. I do see and take every comment into account I just try to avoid commenting myself so as to not hog the Wads and Mods page too much. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:27 AM, MuddyFunster said:

I've just clocked E2 and I'm loving this so far. Between this and Sigil, I forgot how, without the SSG, you really fear a baron showing up. Especially when, as in this one, the rocket launcher ammo is sparse. The ammo balance is great. It's quite heavy on the damaging floors. You really have to get the most out of a radiation suit. That might annoy some people, but I'm okay with it.

Really nice line in secrets too. The E1 secret level exit really got me stuck to the point of noclipping around and finally figuring it out and feeling really, really stupid.

Yeah, this has made my weekend.

Glad you're liking it so far! I hope the last two episodes live up the hype! Cheers

On 7/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, KevvyLava said:

Having a blast playing through these, man.  Excellent work.

Thank you my guy!

14 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I'll be done with Baculus by this weekend (loving it!) so I will definitely be checking this bad boy out!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

@FrancisT18 I saw that you put this up in the Cacoward nomination thread and really do appreciate it!

@HAK3180 You are doing gods work good sir! Every teleport trap has been fixed in the latest DL. I'm really looking forward to your overall thoughts when you finish it.

Can we get a non-Dropbox downloadable version of this? Dropbox is being stupid. No I'm not creating an account to download some .wad, thank you :P

41 minutes ago, Traysandor said:

Can we get a non-Dropbox downloadable version of this? Dropbox is being stupid. No I'm not creating an account to download some .wad, thank you :P

You can go grab it from /idgames as of today. Most people are hosting their wads via Dropbox these days, so it might be worth your time to create that account and be able to host stuff yourself as well. The less secure hosting sites are all infected with malware.

11 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

You can go grab it from /idgames as of today. Most people are hosting their wads via Dropbox these days, so it might be worth your time to create that account and be able to host stuff yourself as well. The less secure hosting sites are all infected with malware.

To be fair, I wouldn't use any other hosting site other than that and Google anyways. I don't do wad modding myself (I tried that once, and my map was one of those that probably belongs in Mock2 somewhere for general awfulness... Needless to say I never mentioned it anywhere, and it was never released). But I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

SINERGY is now on the idgames archive! And funnily enough with all the Doom content ive made this is my first solo project to ever make it there so far. Link is in the OP. Included are the midis that I wrote specifically for this Wad, do with them as you wish (including delteting them if thats not your thing). Thankyou everyone for playing!

I've now played through Episode 1 and well, that was certainly about what I excpected of UDoom Episode 1... Lots of hitscanners and Imps. Just turned up a few notches. Also the E1M9 secret was definitely a thing too... for those who like slaughter anyways.

I'll get to the rest of the episodes soon enough.

All finished. Great stuff!

The one level in episode 4 with the teleporter that drops you into a lava lake in the middle of a bunch of imps and barons though... Oof. It's not the most unfair trap I've ever seen, but it's a bit of a sod especially since it seemed like health was super sparse during that stretch of levels. That's literally the only thing I can think of to complain about.

Oh, E4M2. PURE EVIL.

I'll get around to playing this, as soon as my graphics card is fixed.

It does look quite good, and I'll admit I have a preference for a more "classic style" Doom wad.  Looking forward to trying this.

Looking forward to play this! This should do perfectly for my usual Ultimate Doom fix.

Anyone else is having ammo problems in E4M9? I went completely dry before the 2 cyberdemons at the end, even though I had some leftover ammo from previous maps. That's pretty odd, considering ammo is rather pleniful in all other maps. Is the player really supposed to rely on berserk and/or monster infighting here?

Also, what irked me during the whole E4 is the general lack of radsuits. They're barely sufficient when you know exacly where to go, but not if you see the map for the first time. It's particularly bad in E4M2, because the map is confusing and many areas are hard to find.

Finished the first two episodes so far. Great set of maps here, I think. You've really nailed the classic usage of textures -- everything fits together the way I would have expected from UDoom. The boss maps have each been fun too! And quite a spike in difficulty compared to the general episode maps, which I think are a nice low-to-mid simmer. The layouts are well thought out, with lots of clever inter connectivity. Looking forward to finishing this. Great work :) 

Had me hooked from the first post. :) Very enjoyable wad. Plays well in Doom Retro which is my favorite Vanilla port.

Finished this thing. Overall very good. I like the little nods to Doom levels, especially that they were not usually in their respective map slots. As a whole, the set does a pretty good job using barons, which is often my main problem with Ultimate Doom. Basically the only levels I did not like were E1M8, E4M2, E4M9, and half of E4M8. E1M8 was super spammy at the end. E4M2 was Sigly, which I didn't care much for - confusing progression amidst damaging floor. For me it's much more tolerable in E4M7 or even the original E4M6. E4M9 was adventurous and cool to look at, but it just bored me. And the second half of E4M8 was spammy and boring, though I really loved the first half. 

So my E3 ranking with favorite on the left:

2 1 6  754   9  8  3     

I thought this was the worst episode with no major standouts (though no negative standouts either)

And E4:

5 6  7   4           3  1      8     9                2

Those top four are really good and actually bump this episode to probably my second favorite. So that would go E1, E4, E2, E3.

As for stats, I played Ultra-Violence pistol starts. I died plenty. I killed most things and usually got ~50% secrets. I found the secret exit in E3 pretty easily, had to work at E1 and E2, and resorted all the way to Doom Builder to figure out E4.

It's a fine megawad, and I'm quite happy it just appeared one day. Thanks a lot.

So much positivity on here can't thank everyone enough for the feedback and all the great comments. Im glad everyones had fun playing, gives me heaps of motivation to continue mapping.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:04 AM, Caleb13 said:

Anyone else is having ammo problems in E4M9? I went completely dry before the 2 cyberdemons at the end, even though I had some leftover ammo from previous maps. That's pretty odd, considering ammo is rather pleniful in all other maps. Is the player really supposed to rely on berserk and/or monster infighting here?

Also, what irked me during the whole E4 is the general lack of radsuits. They're barely sufficient when you know exacly where to go, but not if you see the map for the first time. It's particularly bad in E4M2, because the map is confusing and many areas are hard to find.

I havent had many problems myself though I play extremely conservatively so my experience was probably very different to yours. Apologies.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Finished this thing. Overall very good. I like the little nods to Doom levels, especially that they were not usually in their respective map slots. As a whole, the set does a pretty good job using barons, which is often my main problem with Ultimate Doom. Basically the only levels I did not like were E1M8, E4M2, E4M9, and half of E4M8. E1M8 was super spammy at the end. E4M2 was Sigly, which I didn't care much for - confusing progression amidst damaging floor. For me it's much more tolerable in E4M7 or even the original E4M6. E4M9 was adventurous and cool to look at, but it just bored me. And the second half of E4M8 was spammy and boring, though I really loved the first half. 

So my E3 ranking with favorite on the left:

2 1 6  754   9  8  3     

I thought this was the worst episode with no major standouts (though no negative standouts either)

And E4:

5 6  7   4           3  1      8     9                2

Those top four are really good and actually bump this episode to probably my second favorite. So that would go E1, E4, E2, E3.

As for stats, I played Ultra-Violence pistol starts. I died plenty. I killed most things and usually got ~50% secrets. I found the secret exit in E3 pretty easily, had to work at E1 and E2, and resorted all the way to Doom Builder to figure out E4.

It's a fine megawad, and I'm quite happy it just appeared one day. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the extensive feedback, if you happened to have recorded any of it I would love to watch it. Much appreciated, glad you enjoyed playing it!