Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexo

Doom GBA was completed 100 times in under 1 day.

That's one of the sickest things I've ever seen. Whether you choose to interpret 'sick' as a positive or negative thing is up to you.

Congratulations, though. You one-upped this guy by a whooping 18. :P

Edited by dr_st

good lord, I watched some of the highlights and I always find it insane and amazing when people are able to run challenges for this long. This is pretty amazing.

This is a very specific sort of hardcore category, and I like it. Well done!

I hope you have given yourself the proper time to rest now, physically and mentally.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:39 AM, dr_st said:

That's one of the sickest things I've ever seen. Whether you choose to interpret 'sick' as a positive or negative thing is up to you.

Congratulations, though. You one-upped this guy by a whooping 18. :P

I'll take sick at its 90's variation of meaning 'rad'... lol. and that guy should have prepared to be... 'beaten'.. xD

On 6/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, SaladBadger said:

I always find it insane and amazing when people are able to run challenges for this long. This is pretty amazing.

Thanks! I don't recommend trying it without a lot of experience playing a single port/game. There were some parts where one mishap could have cost more then 10 minutes at a time just 4 or 5 months ago. A lot of time was spent routing to ensure all back ups were accounted for in the attempt, every levels failing possibility.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, Pavera said:

This is a very specific sort of hardcore category, and I like it. Well done!

I hope you have given yourself the proper time to rest now, physically and mentally.

Hardcore indeed, thanks! Just finding new ways to challenge myself with this particular version has been a journey in itself. I rested up for a few days after, but haven't been able to push over 15 hours of being awake after the attempt... so I guess my days of staying up for many hours at a time are over, thanks to this insanity of a speedrun.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, Eurisko said:

Truly incredible. Well done sir.

Thank you, maybe someday I'll be back to attempt this in 32X or even... PC?!? (That last part is sarcasm)

Sega 32X is possible in just under 12 minutes, even on runs without out of bounds. The full game only has 16 levels, and can be reset in a matter of 20 second intervals. The big problem would be having to hold the run/strafe buttons for so long. In regular sessions, after only an hour or 2, your thumb can cramp up really bad even in a play session after many months from your previous attempt.

PC 100 times in 1 day is probably not possible, considering the best times for a full run on ITYTD are 13:30-13:50 range respectively. Playing under 14 minutes everytime would be required, perfect E2M6, E2M7 every attempt, Good E3 key grabs... you would truly have to be a Master to accomplish that task.

Under 14:24 for every single attempt would be required to complete PC 100 times in a single 24 hour period, with no breaks... MADNESS!

I saw that you often go out of bounds by running into walls or using the rocket launcher. Does anyone knows why this works with the GBA version, but not with the PC version?

100 runs in ONE DAY!!!

World records are nice and all but please don't torture yourself this much. 

I'll answer my own comment. I checked Jaguar Doom's source code which has been optimized to run on less powerful CPUs and is used by GBA Doom. In the collision detection code, when a thing moves fast, it no longer checks a position in the middle of the source position and the target position. This allows you to move through walls when you move fast just like Mancubus fireballs can go through walls in vanilla Doom.