Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Stream soon.

Looks good so far, so many mods on the chaingun...did I see one that creates a shield as a mod?  Doom Hunter looks great

The voice heard in the Doomhunter clip sounds a lot like our ol' buddy Betruger, either he himself actually appears or his voice actor returns.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

The voice heard in the Doomhunter clip sounds a lot like our ol' buddy Betruger, either he himself actually appears or his voice actor returns.

agree!!

I like the idea of a cartoonish mad scientist type who’s responsible for all these weird cyborgs.

But is he human, or a demon?

Also, did anyone notice that the music in the opening clip was another part of the story trailer music?

No but seriously...is that Betruger?

Its just funny that they put that voice on where there is a CYBORG demon on the loose...

I guess it could be one of the priests...its just he gives me "corporate"  feel...

if thats Betruger the lore is gone be even more epic then i thought...

So now that I'm bored as all hell of the talking at this point, I'll say that the two minutes or so of new footage we got was pretty neat.  The DoomHunter seems like an interesting enemy.  I like the idea that some rogue crazy UAC technician has been working for the demons to make these new abominations for their forces, if that's the angle they're going with.  It explains how a relatively stupid and primitive species ends with stuff like the Arachnotrons, Masterminds, Mancubi etc, as well as the cyborg dudes we've been seeing.

In the Q&A, Hugo's answer regarding not messing with the source material and referencing Star Wars is a crock of shit.

Not saying what he says is incorrect at a high level, but DOOM 2016 is, story wise, super different from the original DOOMs. That guy was a Marine. A normal human being. Just a grunt, that took down Hell.

This one is a Slayer with backstory in a fantasy inspired world.

They are absolutely messing with the source material. Not saying the new games are bad, but it's a bit rich for him to get high and might about respecting the source material when they've almost retconned everything.

19 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Battlemode sounds like Versus mode from L4D.

Then that means its going to be a lot of fun. I honestly cant wait to play it, and murder doom slayers as a Marauder. Still a little sad that Battlemode is still our only multiplayer gamemode. Im still holding onto hope that they'll add arena style gamemodes later on.

Obviously were all going to play each demon in battlemode, but which demons are you guys going to main? Im gonna main the Marauder, and the Mancubus.

Just now, hunting4r2d2 said:

Hope this guy appears in the campaign:(Titan pic)

Yeah, it looks like the big guy we saw at the end of the story trailer

14 minutes ago, thewormofautumn said:

In the Q&A, Hugo's answer regarding not messing with the source material and referencing Star Wars is a crock of shit.

Not saying what he says is incorrect at a high level, but DOOM 2016 is, story wise, super different from the original DOOMs. That guy was a Marine. A normal human being. Just a grunt, that took down Hell.

They are absolutely messing with the source material. Not saying the new games are bad, but it's a bit rich for him to get high and might about respecting the source material when they've almost retconned everything.

Yeah that part really rubbed me the wrong way. Almost to an extent that made me uncomfortable, but probably for different reasons. First of all I have to point out how low a blow that was, desperately trying to cash in on a 1½ year old discussion. Thankfully only one guy in the audience responded to that and apart from him it was so awkwardly silent. Somewhat of a dick move and I definitely lost some respect for the guy right there. I mean, you wouldn't expect JJ Abrams to rag on Doom 2016 while promoting his next movie.

Anyway. I think he's got it backwards. It dawned on me right then and there why Doom Eternal is the iteration of Doom that interests me the least and why I am more fond of "New Star Wars" than I am of "New Doom". It seems to me id software of 2019 is more afraid of the fans than anything. He even said it himself; He wouldn't want to "ruin someone's childhood" by having a different take on something and it shows. Just take a look at what happened going from Doom 2016 to Doom Eternal. Lots of design decisions revoked with the sole purpose of "pleasing the fans". Reverting the Mancubus, the Plasma Rifle, the Cyberdemon. It's not that I *don't* think these Doom2 versions of the designs are better, I do, but it's also kinda disingenuous and fan-servicey.

One of the amazing things to do back in 2000-2004 was to see how they reimagined this monster or that weapon in Doom3. I don't really care about that for Doom Eternal because it's all pretty damn predictable. Go with the power fantasy head canon and scour forums to figure out what "fans want". That's exactly what they didn't do with TLJ. They went with a completely different type of director and gave him 100% trust. I still haven't decided whether I really liked the movie, but it was someone's vision, someone's baby, someone's take and thus controversial.

...And even then I think they ended up understanding the source material better than they do with Doom Eternal.

All that said, I still do look foward to Doom Eternal. It's a day one purchase for me and I'll probably build a new computer for the purpose...well, at least partially for that purpose....but I'm not *all* that excited for it because it does feel a lot less like a dedicated group of artists working on a common vision and more of a corporate cash grab this time around.

The new Star Wars movies ARE crap. Just more "subversive" garbage. Glad he called it out. 

If you want to get a point across, not writing an inflammatory one-liner post is probably a better strategy :)

It does have to do with Doom because most game companies and movie studios are just pandering to what they believe is the "current audience" and I won't get into what "current audience" is. Instead, they are doing what no one else is doing, which is giving us exactly what we want. 

But the current audience is the power fantasy. Every other action game or movie today is all about being powerful, going over the top. Doom 2016 "kinda" broke the mold with shooters by not going call of doom, but today it's a pretty different market and Doom Eternal seems to be really fanservicey to me. That doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game, by no means, but it does feel pretty toothless and risk adverse compared to former id games.

Just now, Shaviro said:

But the current audience is the power fantasy. Every other action game or movie today is all about being powerful, going over the top. Doom 2016 "kinda" broke the mold with shooters by not going call of doom, but today it's a pretty different market and Doom Eternal seems to be really fanservicey to me. That doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game, by no means, but it does feel pretty toothless and risk adverse compared to former id games.

I guess they should put in 100 cutscenes and emotional moments then...

You got it backwards, they are doing exactly the oppoisite of what everyone else is.

1 hour ago, thewormofautumn said:

Big difference is Last Jedi sucked balls and Doom 2016 and Eternal fucking rock. It’s completely believable that the evolution of doom guy is the Slayer. Last Jedi was not an evolution, but a complete dick punch against everything that came before.

Just now, bj25x said:

Big difference is Last Jedi sucked balls and Doom 2016 and Eternal fucking rock. It’s completely believable that the evolution of doom guy is the Slayer. Last Jedi was not an evolution, but a complete dick punch against everything that came before.

Exactly, the Doomguy evolved alongside the original games, the modding scene and the players as people and Doom fans. After so many episodes, WADs, retrospectives etc. he is no longer the Doomguy, he is the Doomslayer, reflecting the legendary status of the game.

@DooM_RO

There are plenty of ways you could go other than cramming as much nostalgia in there as possible. You know. Marbfaces and what not ;)

Ah I get it. It's just more "subversive" garbage then. I guess it's okay when it's Doom :D

But seriously, they're riding this wave of power fantasy gaming so hard and it's also really diluting their other titles with Wolfenstein and Rage 2. I can't blame them, it's a business after all and I'm way too old to be fangirly about it. Not every game or movie has to cater to one's exact tastes....but this is just as much a wave and a trend as what "everyone else is doing".

Edited by Shaviro

They're giving me exactly what I want. It's not a garbage reimagining like Thiaf 2014 for example. 

47 minutes ago, bj25x said:

I’m not arguing the merits of it. Good/bad that’s a seperate discussion (which by the way, I happen to agree with Shaviro’s post above especially for Eternal)

Im calling out the hypocrisy of raging on Star Wars for changing the source material and then going and doing the same thing in DOOM.

how it turns out is down to opinion, but it’s still based on changing the backstory 180degrees.

seriously, what does this have to do with the original DOOM

D-El58aWsAA6nt0.jpg

Edited by thewormofautumn : added picture