Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

This tweet and Reddit post caught my eye. Doom 64 got rated 16 by PEGI. Starting off. Unfortunately I had to sell my Nintendo 64 and Doom 64 on eBay because for two reasons. 1: I have to pay off my bills and 2: when I play Doom 64 on an HDTV, everything's so grainy and looks like shit on an flat-screen HDTV. The Nintendo 64 is best played on CRT TVs so you won't get that grainy picture. So my guess is that NightDive Studios is working w/ Bethesda on bringing Doom 64 to PC and modern consoles? I saw on Twitter that NDS CEO Steven Kick and Doom 64 EX creator @Kaiser is attending QuakeCon. I also saw that prices for Doom 64 carts are over $30 and increasing as time goes on. If Doom 64 does come to PC and consoles. This will make people who didn't get to experience Doom 64 back in 1997 happy without resorting to pay a lot for a Nintendo 64 console, an CRT TV and a Doom 64 Cart or resorting to illegally hunting down a ROM.

Edited by DustFalcon85

Interesting - would be nice to complete the circle and have a legit version of D64 that doesn't require those nasty RCA cables and that godawful squeaky controller.

Just make sure you have a Bethesda.net account, eh?

1 minute ago, scalliano said:

Just make sure you have a Bethesda.net account, eh?

Already got one and have it linked on Xbox and Playstation. ;-)

Hopefully this makes it onto the Switch as well. It would be amazing to see it return to its platform of origin.

If it is true then it would make sense that NDS (hurhur) are actually working on bringing it over officially, seeing as their biggest talent seems to be sorting out convoluted licensing bloo-blahs (NOLF notwithstanding). Finally, the last piece of the Doom puzzle falls into place.

So, see you all in 2021 when they do the same thing with Quake? Please?

Personally, I'd take this with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure that Doom 64 was labeled as a PC/PS4 game by accident, though I'm not sure why it'd take PEGI so long to get around giving Doom 64 a rating.

EDIT: Well, holy fuck, that blew away my expectations. Turns out that Doom 64 is getting a rerelease.

Edited by GamingMarine

Kaiser, the guy that did Doom 64 EX as well as several other ports for Nightdive, has been giving lots of hints that Doome 64 is happening.

At first I liked the idea of an official Doom 64 re-release but now I kind of hope it doesn't come out again. If it does, what does that mean for projects like mine, Retribution, and GEC Master Edition?

14 minutes ago, Nevander said:

At first I liked the idea of an official Doom 64 re-release but now I kind of hope it doesn't come out again. If it does, what does that mean for projects like mine, Retribution, and GEC Master Edition?

That's actually a valid concern. It would be a little... problematic to see what happens with those project if it turns out to be true, could that mean insta-CND'ed?

24 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Kaiser, the guy that did Doom 64 EX as well as several other ports for Nightdive, has been giving lots of hints that Doome 64 is happening.

Any links or something?

41 minutes ago, seed said:

Any links or something?

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser

His latest retweet is about the PEGI rating for Doom 64. Also, after posting a photo of QuakeCon's historical showcase booths for all the Doom releases, he posted a separate photo of the booth featuring the Doom 64 box and cartridge, photo in the spoiler below. [Source Link]

Spoiler

EAbHFhzXYAAt7hp.jpg.257285fe533b35269da81d63b7026743.jpg

There is still the possibility that PEGI had the wrong title listed in its ratings, and that Kaiser is only tweeting this because hey, he's the guy who did Doom 64EX, of course he'd find this cool enough to post on its own. It's a hell of a combination of related events, though.

14 minutes ago, Lollie said:

There is still the possibility that PEGI had the wrong title listed in its ratings, and that Kaiser is only tweeting this because hey, he's the guy who did Doom 64EX, of course he'd find this cool enough to post on its own. It's a hell of a combination of related events, though.

Yeah, also the fact that he didn't shut down the leak/speculation yet kinda gives me hope that it is in fact true.

Man I'm gonna jump on walls if he's trolling us lol.

To be fair, even if this doesn't work out right now (I'm being skeptical about this for my own sake lol), feeding the hype for something like this can lead to a company jumping on the bandwagon - once they see how fans react to it. Hell, that's how it worked for Metal Wolf Chaos and Devolver Digital (it took three years, but it's out next month), or Deadpool and its leaked test footage.

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

A fair question, and it would be a shame to see all of that hard work be for nought. That said, on the other hand it could mean that we'd have a legit .WAD file to mod for.

Unless, of course, they encrypt the shit out of it, which is entirely possible.

Given how terrible the Switch port has shown itself to be, I don't have much confidence. Still, if they call upon the Night Dive team, we can hope it's going to be competently done.

Though even then, don't discount the possibility that it will be worse than Doom64 EX, given corporate demands. Stuff like having to sign in on a Bethesda account, or having to wrap everything in Unity so all the soundtrack is exported to .wav format, etc. can make even a good base into a crappy whole.

Well said, especially considering that, even discounting the DRM crap, the PS3 and 360 ports (now suddenly delisted - I wonder why) are vastly superior in every way to what was shovelled out yesterday.

Hopefully, if this IS true, they continue to use the KEX engine. Surely, not even a Unity wrapper can screw THAT up?

Right?

22 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Well said, especially considering that, even discounting the DRM crap, the PS3 and 360 ports (now suddenly delisted - I wonder why) are vastly superior in every way to what was shovelled out yesterday.

Which is just so fascinating. They had a pretty solid port to work with, so what could the reasons for not using that as a base for future projects?

I lucked out that my old roomie gave his N64 to me. Soon after, I found used Doom 64 complete in box for $20, that was probably the low point in value. My wife then got a great plasma TV from a co-worker. And N64 games look great on the plasma screen. A perfect storm for me!

Anyway, does anyone know if the recently released Doom 1 & 2 on switch is a Unity wrapper or a Unity remake? I have seen a reddit saying it was a full remake in Unity. My guess is that Bethesda is building up their unity engine to eventually port Doom 64 themselves. I could be wrong but I think Zenimax and Bethesda prefer to keep as much as they can in-house; and I bet they have noticed the success retro FPS has had recently.

But I much prefer if Kaiser with NDS get picked up to do the port, and hopefully add multiplayer. Kaiser has definitely shown such appreciation for the game with Doom 64 EX and his Doom 64 sprite mod for vanilla Doom. Anyway get all of these Doom 64 mods while you can (particularly Doom 64: Retribution)!

On 7/27/2019 at 10:56 AM, Nevander said:

Let's not forget that every Doom 64 TC have an unique features. Like every Console Doom port have an unique features. We're still playing some console ports, so I don't see reasons not doing this with any 64 TC.

BTW, let's not forget that official Doom 64 PC port is NOT the same as Doom N64. So I can call it non-canon manifestation easily.

Mmm, I wasn't going to take my opinion about this, idsoftware can do whatever it wants with its titles, whether good or bad. Even so in the not too distant future I will contribute something
interesting for the (Doom 64 Ex) if everything goes well. =)

And those who are doing their projects with Doom 64, either mine [GEC] ME, or @Nevander D64 Retribution, or any other continue, there is no need to despair.

Absolutely, we all do this because we love the game, that's why we all are here. My monsters project won't be cancelled if Doom64 were going to be re-released.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:56 AM, Nevander said:

A CnD sounds really plausible. I honestly always found any attempts at faithfully recreating Doom 64 in other engines pointless, since D64 EX already did it perfectly, and any official re-release would make it obsolete.

5 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Absolutely, we all do this because we love the game, that's why we all are here. My monsters project won't be cancelled if Doom64 were going to be re-released.

Unfortunately love can do little against corporate suits. We can all hope for an official D64 wad which we can use to run our mods, but we also should prepare for the worst.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, scalliano said:

Unless, of course, they encrypt the shit out of it, which is entirely possible.

I saw on another thread people opening the Unity version's maps to check what was changed, so I believe the resources will be somehow accessible.

5 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Unfortunately love can do little against corporate suits. We can all hope for an official D64 wad which we can use to run our mods, but we also should prepare for the worst.

I know, business are business. As i said on other place here, I don't care about if Doom64 is going to be re-released, I don't see any problem with it. I'm not scared for this Doom64 new, to me it's great news. But projects are projects, projects for community like the other projects with Doom. They want our money, not our love. We do things for community because we love the game. I'm not interested in donations or popularity for our projects, there are many popular ones our there... I have nothing to gain or lose.

If we should prepare for the worst... I don't want to see a shitty version of the game coming for modern consoles. But if NDS have the rights to make it, they can do an almost perfect one from scratch...

On 7/26/2019 at 11:56 PM, Nevander said:

Now that you mention us, we GEC have nothing to lose. GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition was made just for fun and for community, everybody can use it for whatever (it was written on the read me file. GEC Master Edition wasn't made to ashame anyone... Our Doom 64 project started in 2011 and it was going to be home use just for us, because we were so poor that our old computer wasn't able to run neither Doom 64 Absolution nor Doom64 EX. Even a N64 emulator wasn't able to run there. So, thanks to these @Kaiser projects, we started to work on our version. But time flew by and we bought a N64 and a Doom64 cartridge (we downloaded it from the web before) and Doom64 for GZDoom became a project for the community. Actually it's real name is: Doom64 EX for GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition.

You can see many people thanked in the credits.

47 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

It seems like Nightdive may be involved or just trolling us haha

who knows... haha. Some clues may indicate that they are working on it, even Kaiser said it will be never though.

Edited by Gerardo194

I'm up for THIS!!! I found DOOM 64 a nightmare because of that N64 controller. I know and I'm sorry , there's a lot of people who love that controller but I find it a cluster-fuck of buttons and handles. So yes, one copy of DOOM 64 on the PS4 to go please. 

If you arrange the controller setup a la SNES or PSX, it could be better but player turns so slow... A pain in the ass still. Even when your analog stick is broken.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:11 AM, scalliano said:

Hopefully this makes it onto the Switch as well.

Seeing as they just went through the effort of getting Doom 1, Doom 2 and Doom 3 unto the switch it would be very odd to bother releasing Doom 64 but then not put it unto the switch.

Though to be honest as much as I like Doom 64 I feel the PC ports and mods are such high quality that buying it on the PC seems rather pointless. I can sort of rationalize playing it on the console if the port is good however. But if it's just a lazy port that doesn't even have mid-game saving I don't think I will bother. Lack of mid-game saving is the single largest reason I almost never play the original console version.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:56 AM, Nevander said:

Yea that's actually a good point. When the BFG edition came out they removed the original Doom 3 from steam. This could be pretty bad news for Doom 64 mods. Though to be fair it's not like they were ever ok in the first place. People just took advantage of the fact that nobody cared. 

EDIT: Actually, I think Doom 64 EX should be ok since it's not technically a mod but a port that doesn't include the original resources. Then again corporations are greedy so I dunno.

37 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

If you arrange the controller setup a la SNES or PSX, it could be better but player turns so slow... A pain in the ass still. Even when your analog stick is broken.

Yeah , this is something I've tried to do in the past as I've played Final DOOM on PSX but I just find that N64 controller a complete mess. The player turning too slow was a bit of an issue too. 

Edited by Eurisko