Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tangerine

Doom 1-3 on the Switch?!

3 hours ago, seed said:

I don't understand the hate for Unity and even for requiring a Bethesda account to play...

It's probably because it means you're required to login using an internet connection, and If you just want to quickly play the game on the go with no internet connection you won't be able to.

I don't know why they even require you to have a bethesda account, is it just to agree to some giant wall of text?

If you have the chainsaw, the only way to switch back to the fist is by finding a berserk. Unlike both vanilla and BFG edition, switching to another weapon again after that makes the fist unselectable again. Because the "give berserk" cheat in the menu doesn't automatically switch back to the fist, it can be pointless if you have the chainsaw.

And despite what people are saying, the original team are credited. The picture of Doomguy holding Daisy's head (and possibly other end-of-episode screens) is replaced with the "id Software is..." screen from the original, and they're mentioned again in the scrolling credits seen briefly at the end of the video showing the fancy credits.

Joining just to discuss these ports. An issue nobody seems to be talking about is the lack of aspect correction, making everything appear shorter & fatter than it should.

2 hours ago, Baby Doomer said:

Joining just to discuss these ports. An issue nobody seems to be talking about is the lack of aspect correction, making everything appear shorter & fatter than it should.

I'm actually very pissed about this, yesterday i was gonna buy them but thank god i looked into it and i saw all the bullshit with the messed up sounds and music and DRM SHIT

i'm so god damn pissed i can't even describe the anger i have for bethesda right now.

i hope they fix the god damn game like a good company.

See, I was wondering about this. More specifically, I was wondering if it was their plan all along to have the login thing as a lightning rod for criticism, so when it's removed players will begrudgingly accept anything else that's half-assed about these versions. Maybe that's crazy. I have no idea.

This is good, now fix the million problems that plague this release please :p .

YongYea couldn't resist making a video about this, oh well that's one less problem. now make it support the original game's mods :p

https://www.gaminginstincts.com/doom-64-pegi-rating-for-ps4-and-pc-spotted/

doom 64 ex on the way!

i was kinda expecting new ports for doom1|2 to drop with DOOM Eternal. These seem a little rushed but I guess its part of the marketing.  I think it makes more sense to release games at e3 or alongside the final product.  I dont think quakecon is a great place to release games, imo.  Tournaments?-yes! rereleases?-naw! I dont know why they were not released concurrently with DOOM Eternal, because that is going to be alongside stradia and its going to be a huge game release.  Everyone is wrapping up summer vacation right now which I dont think is the ideal time to be selling games.  I dunno.

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

That's embarrassing...

I really hope they release an update soon fixing at the least the music and the aspect correction. This is very possibly the worst Doom port released.

You know, the mandatory Bethesda login being an accident seems plausible considering how rushed these ports are.

5 minutes ago, chemo said:

You know, the mandatory Bethesda login being an accident seems plausible considering how rushed these ports are.

Must agree here this time. These ports are clearly not ready for prime time.

8 minutes ago, Ferk said:

That's embarrassing...

I really hope they release an update soon fixing at the least the music and the aspect correction. This is very possibly the worst Doom port released.

The lightning should also be fixed, and everything sounds muffled to me. Jump to 10:51 to see something wrong with the lightning, there's way too much light around the player:

22 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Somehow classic DOOM and DOOM 2 went from <20mb in size from their original PC data size to over 450mb in size on the mobile and switch ports.

How else you will make people think that their phones are already dated and they MUST buy a new ones? Since smartphones are big part of most people life, this is a huge money fishing pool. I believe that phone companies even pays developers to make fat apps and games. "No worries, new model with bigger memory is on the way".

10 hours ago, seed said:

I don't understand the hate for Unity and even for requiring a Bethesda account to play...

Can someone at least elaborate on why using Unity for the classic Doom games is such a horrible idea?

This. I want to know why unity is supposedly so terrible.

I've been playing it on my switch in some couch coop & dm (so fun! Like n64 split screen days all over again!) with my brother in law, and yeah... It controls like any other analog stick/gamepad game, but it runs very well and doesn't seem drastically different other than some minor changes (pills on medpacks like BFG edition), maybe some lighting is off here or there.

Also picked it up on Android, plays identical as switch version. Of course, better off using belokos doom touch for more customizations and mods and native nostalgia on android... but overall the switch/PS4/xbone/Android/iOS official classic release works and plays remarkably well for vanilla with some resolution improvements.

So why again is unity terrible (other than it's overengineering a classic title for a port that probably didn't require that much effort anyway)??

I am not going to hate on Unity but what baffles me is that why couldn't they simply use a source port like Crispy Doom (or any port that is slim and has clean code) as a base to develop these ports. And why did they bother to add those Master Levels but NOT add Final Doom+NRFTL.

18 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I am not going to hate on Unity but what baffles me is that why couldn't they simply use a source port like Crispy Doom (or any port that is slim and has clean code) as a base to develop these ports.

GPL licensing is probably not something they want to deal with when they need to make something that can be ported to several extremely-proprietary platforms.

They use Unity as a shell to handle interfacing, but they didn't want to bother including a MIDI player (like they did for the Xbox port) so the music was turned to wav, bloating the data considerably.

EDIT: SiFi270 beat me to it a few posts above!

Just came across another reason why this port is complete garbage:

If you pick up the chainsaw, you can never switch back to your fists unless you collect Berserk (in which case you still can't get back to your fists if you ever switch away from them).

3 hours ago, seed said:

The lightning should also be fixed, and everything sounds muffled to me. Jump to 10:51 to see something wrong with the lightning, there's way too much light around the player:

/video

Jesus that looks awful!  It just keeps getting worse and worse.

12 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Seeing how they're treating the first 2 DooM games (and to a lesser extent, DooM 3). This does NOT give me confidence in DooM 5...

Doom Eternal is an entirely different beast, though. While there are some things that kinda disappoint in these ports, it's also cool to have it on the latest consoles if you wanna play there. Especially the switch 

4 hours ago, Lygophilia said:

I've never got around finishing Doom 3, but I would like to.

It's totally worth your time, just stick to the vanilla versions on Steam. These are ports of the BFG Edition, which screws with a lot of the game's fundamentals.

Hell, even the OG Xbox versions are more faithful.

I have done some digging into the WAD files include in the switch release. As mentioned in another post that the format is basically the same as the Xbox Live Arcade file format but the WADs themselves are different.

There is now a new background image lump called DMENUPIC in Doom and Doom 2:

DMENUPIC.png.29193598cfaed411ee0d029bec1acbb8.png

For Doom 1, E1M10 has been removed (E1M4 is modified, likely because of this) and for some reason E4M1 is now at the very end of the WAD with a minor change

Doom 1.9:

DOOM.WAD_E4M1-1.9.png.f3a3ac2446e033d462e91274d7b073dc.png

Switch:

DOOM.WAD_E4M1-Switch.png.c19e04d7397160062f9e54a3f0804ed5.png

Edit: Looks to be modified to remove the Nine Inch Nails reference

Doom 2 has MAP06 moved to the end of the WAD and looks to have a few like THINGS, VERTEXES changes but looking at the map in slade it looks the same so it might just be to fix some bugs (LINEDEFS and SIDEDEFS haven't changed). MAP31 and MAP31 are also at the end of the WAD but this is likely because they remove the Nazi references. No MAP33 like in the XBLA version. I didn't bother checking all the Master Level WADs