Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrJohnReviews

Doom & Doom 2 on the Switch - 1st Impressions

Okay so today I bought Doom & Doom 2 on the switch to see if these ports ran fine DRM aside, and I´m gotta say the port is dang average

Plays fine the gameplay is fine, but the main issue that I have aside from the DRM crap is that the music is slow compared to the original, I mean if you played Sonic 1 on a PAL Mega Drive, you know exactly what I´m talking about, it´s pretty distracting.

The sound effects sometimes have some Pitch Shifting, that it´s kinda annoying depending on your point of view;

Controls wise it controls fine but sadly you can´t change the controls, not to mention you can´t change the brightness or gamma in this port as well doom 2 on the switch

You have the HD Rumble but it´s meh.

Multiplayer, I haven´t tried yet cuz I have nobody that plays doom with me.

Overall, while it´s not a bad port DRM issues aside, It could´ve been so much more, I feel like Bethesda should remove the DRM crap, and the worst part is that theres no PINGAS MOD in both of Doom & Doom 2 switch ports, I´m enjoying it but it could´ve been so much more if Bethesda was more competent.

5/10

Sounds like zero modding capabilities too..They would be dumb to not allow some sort of user mods to be used..

Whelp. That's 3 DooM games I have to skip for the switch now... wait... 3 doom games... DooM 3 (un)confirmed for switch! Jokes aside, why on EARTH does Bethesda need to add DRM to flippin' Ultimate DooM / DooM II? They're super old games. Sure its their IP but... who's going to steal DooM/DooM 2 when FreeDooM already exists? (I mean the mods FreeDooM and FreeDooM2, not stating that DooM is free. It most certainly is not. Please buy DooM/DooM II). Heck, by the sounds of what I can research, you're better off hacking your Switch and inserting DooM via homebrew.

It looks like those ports have more DRMs than DOOM 2016. I don't understand why people would even buy them (except collectors and completely unaware people) because Chocolate-Doom has already been ported to the switch and it works better than any official ports.

Mfw they get doom addicted to smack and make it walk the streets

:(     

4 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Smack Doom.  Someone get on that 

Bethesda has you covered with their slowed down soundtrack, Unity engine, and DRM. Doom guy has been reduced to sucking dick for email addresses.

As far as I'm concerned these ports are joke wads

Adding DRM to a game as ancient as Doom is fucking laughable

Where were you when you heard about Bethesda officially releasing a botched port of the original Doom complete with DRM? I was taking a particularly stinky shit which seems fitting.

The thing that shits me up the wall about Doom ports is how much ass they all suck. Not fan-made source ports of course, but official ports and console ports.

It’s like the big decision when porting Doom is “how much do we wanna shit on this game? Should we just shart near it so only a few speckles of diarrhoea hit it like the Saturn port? Maybe we should take a fat steaming dump directly on it, like the 3DO port did? Perhaps we can just piss on it but use the piss to stick some glitter on there, a la the PlayStation port. Nah, too much effort. Let’s just take a boring, regular-sized crap on it as seen on the 32x. Playable but gimped - that’s the way the fans like it, right?”

The best console port of Doom is the 360 because it’s only a little broken, the music and sounds play back at the wrong pitch and speed, but that’s it. Are you fucking kidding me? Don’t even fucking consider the prospect of enhancements with these shit-tier ports either!! Freelook? Jumping?! That might take 5 god damn minutes of effort! Doom doesn’t deserve that! Hell, if we start adding features, people might realise that FPS games haven’t actually gotten better since Doom - we can’t have that!

God damn if you hate this game so much just take it out back and shoot it FFS, these shitfuck ports are an insult! Literally, this shit offends me personally even though that makes 0 sense!

edit: Bethesda has decided to deactivate the DRM following ridicule - good

Edited by Doomkid

@Doomkid I feel like there are two different things here. Before the PS/N64 the consoles simply weren't really powerful enough to run Doom as on PC. For the 3DO port specifically we know that the ridiculously short development time was a major factor for it being garbage.

But on modern systems that's not really an excuse. At this point it's just sloppy, a lazy way to squeeze out a few more bucks with the least effort. Unlike the ports made by the community, it's driven by money and not love for the game. The vast majority of the target audience (i.e. the people who aren't familiar with the game as the Doom community is) will not even notice the bugs/inconsistencies. Like, you'll not realize that the music is too slow unless you're pretty familiar with it. I bet not even the developers realize how botched this version is.

I think you’ve made a great point Boris, at least the old ports have a good reason to be cut down or inferior in some way. From PS1-era tech and onward there has been no excuse other than laziness.

30 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Where on the shit-o-meter is the SNES port?

I have scientifically concluded that the SNES Doom experience is like being trapped in a crowded bus while someone lets out a really awful fart. It’s really annoying and you can’t wait for it to be over, but at least the fecal content was unintentional and simply a result of not having enough space.

34 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Where on the shit-o-meter is the SNES port?

When I completely lost access to a PC for awhile I tried it as an alternative, as I'm also an avid old school junkie. It seemed very very slow compared to what I was used to. The SNES Wolfenstein port was tons of fun and very fluid. But I have to admit it's a bit like losing my glasses, the graphics are downgraded but it's still a good romp

Edit 1: Old school console junkie*

44 minutes ago, boris said:

I bet not even the developers realize how botched this version is.

I beg to differ here tbh. Sure, stuff like the slowed down music could be an exception, but no way other issues that plague those ports are not indicative of laziness and rushing just get them out of the door. After all, they also come with:

@seed I'd say you have to differentiate between the game itself, and the stuff surrounding the game. I agree that the "trial version" marking is likely a result of being rushed. But with the other stuff you actually need a quite deep knowledge of the game to notice that they are wrong. Broken lighting is blantantly obvious to us, but someone unfamiliar how it should look could as well go "lul old game couldn't do it better".

Especially the aspect ratio issue is such a delicate detail that it will be missed unless you know that the graphics are designed for being displayed 20% taller. For reference, by default DOSBOX isn't configured to do aspect ratio correction in the GOG installation of Doom 2. So people playing that will not even realize that they are not seeing it as the original developers intended, and an enabled aspect ratio correction would actually look wrong to them after that.

21 minutes ago, boris said:

@seed I'd say you have to differentiate between the game itself, and the stuff surrounding the game. I agree that the "trial version" marking is likely a result of being rushed. But with the other stuff you actually need a quite deep knowledge of the game to notice that they are wrong. Broken lighting is blantantly obvious to us, but someone unfamiliar how it should look could as well go "lul old game couldn't do it better".

Especially the aspect ratio issue is such a delicate detail that it will be missed unless you know that the graphics are designed for being displayed 20% taller. For reference, by default DOSBOX isn't configured to do aspect ratio correction in the GOG installation of Doom 2. So people playing that will not even realize that they are not seeing it as the original developers intended, and an enabled aspect ratio correction would actually look wrong to them after that.

Hm, fair enough I guess, although I still have some doubts regarding things such as the lightning since one could easily just boot up virtually any port that has a Software render, or even DOSBox and poof, something's instantly screaming "Wrong", which makes me wonder if the developers even played the games before.

About aspect ratio correction, that's actually not how I noticed those ports don't to it. I simply noticed that the image is abnormally stretched, a bit vertically squished, and some weapon sprites look "fat", most notably the pump Shotgun. It's almost baffling how they missed this since the games seem to run in some kind of letterboxed format across all platforms as opposed to traditionally displaying on the whole screen.

Consoles is wrong land for FPS games. ID Software invented FPS and did it with PC games. Even with perfect console port you would have one wrong thing - console controller instead of mouse+keyboard aka Doomguy's hands and legs.

About crappy ports from official companies: companies are "wasting their time by doing ports for old games", while fans giving their hearts in to that. I'm sure Bethesda knows that most of original Doom players are PC gamers and will not even bother with console, so they made port just to grab few bucks.

2 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Consoles is wrong land for FPS games. ID Software invented FPS and did it with PC games. Even with perfect console port you would have one wrong thing - console controller instead of mouse+keyboard aka Doomguy's hands and legs.

Thing is, the experience varies considerably between games. But FPS titles are usually not very easy to play on console thanks to the different control setup.

At least the saturn port isn't lonely anymore from being the ultimate worst port of doom to a console. 

Music slow down is a major fuck up in my opinion. How hard can be getting a Doom port right in 2019? We're not talking about incapable systems from the mid 90's anymore.

8 hours ago, seed said:
  • No aspect ratio correction.

... waiting for the first bug reports to appear complaining that "port xyz is broken because everything looks vertically stretched" and when being told why they claim the port developers to be idiots "because that Switch version is official, therefore correct..."

Ugh.

38 minutes ago, unerxai said:

How hard can be getting a Doom port right in 2019? We're not talking about incapable systems from the mid 90's anymore.

I think the answer is obvious. Everything is directly proportional to the amount of money being invested here, and that doesn't appear to be much.

This looks like a cheap-ass cash grab, nothing more.

They should at least have hired some source port developer to make sure the game is done right.

57 minutes ago, unerxai said:

Music slow down is a major fuck up in my opinion. How hard can be getting a Doom port right in 2019? We're not talking about incapable systems from the mid 90's anymore.

Yeah, there's absolutely no excuse, especially considering all the money/resources Bethesda has available.

I really wanted Doom and Doom 2 on Switch. I was surprised that nobody ported them officially until now. Frankly I wouldn't mind playing them in this state, but there's no way I'm supporting Bethesda's lazy practices by buying this. Doom has been ported successfully to a myriad of devices. It's been an open source app for many, many years and I'm sure there are a ton of game developers familiar with the code and with Doom porting. I'm guessing they just went ahead and gave a single guy (probably an intern) the task of getting these ports done in a week or something.

Thing is though if you want to get Doom running on your Switch at the moment you'll have to have one of the "original" systems that allow for the hardware based exploit.

As for the random pitches? I don't mind it- I've always played with it so it's natural to me :P

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

The best console port of Doom is the 360 because it’s only a little broken, the music and sounds play back at the wrong pitch and speed, but that’s it. Are you fucking kidding me? Don’t even fucking consider the prospect of enhancements with these shit-tier ports either!! Freelook? Jumping?! That might take 5 god damn minutes of effort! Doom doesn’t deserve that! Hell, if we start adding features, people might realise that FPS games haven’t actually gotten better since Doom - we can’t have that!

Actually, 360 is the best port because it brought us No Rest for the Living :P