Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

I asked about the QC 2014 closed door trailer

I was very fortunate to meet Hugo and Marty at QuakeCon this year.  I asked them both the same question...

Can the Doom community see the QuakeCon 2014 Sneak Peak trailer?

Marty wasn't sure what I was referring to.

Hugo on the other hand told me it doesn't exist anymore.  When Midnight Spartan and I asked "Really?" he interrupted before we could follow up and told us that it is GONE! He seemed very sincere about it and I think he was tired of answering this question.  It must of been asked a lot before.   My impression is that the video got lost in translation and it will never exist again.  Oh well...

It would of been great to have this video for historical purposes. 

Edited by Zemini

Oh man, out of all the things you could have asked you asked that? Why not ask them something about the Doom community? I mean we already know they love Brutal Doom but do they play any other WADs besides that? Do they make their own WADs? Do they use WADs for inspiration? Do they use these forums for feedback?

I didn't want to drill him with lots of questions.  THis was a very personal one for me so I wanted to ask.  I also asked about the Baalgar and got a interesting answer.

The Q&A guy (can't remember his name) gave me some tidbits regarding classic doom.

-They love GZDoom and want that to be somehow utilized on the Switch - as well and player made maps and mods. 

-Uploading vanilla maps (and Doom 64) is a "We can't say right now but we have some surprises in the future".

-Yes!!  I suggested they put their favorite fan maps and in house wads as features and/or uploads to the slayers club.  Seemed like a promising suggestion.

-Hugo Martin reads everything posted about the new doom pretty much everywhere. This includes Reddit and facebook pages.  He lurks from within.

Edited by Zemini

When I first introduced myself to Hugo he told me they certainly know about Doomworld and they are happy with the feedback (even if we don't like all their decisions).

25 minutes ago, Zemini said:

-They love GZDoom and want that to be somehow utilized on the Switch - as well and player made maps and mods.  Uploading vanilla maps (and Doom 64) is a "We can't say right now but we have some surprises in the future".

gonna be real good fun when players get stuck in maps because of how GZDoom handles the Z-axis differently by default, never mind the free-aim as well as jumping and crouching.

They actually showed parts of it in the farewell tribute to Tim before the keynote on Friday.

Specfically, they showed the moment Tim tells everyone in the room that their all alone now (after live broadcast ended at QuakeCon 2014) and they're going to reveal the new Doom game to them. You can hear the crowd begin to cheer as it cuts to a different scene. That part was never aired live and have been told by attendee from qcon 2014 that it was the immediate precursor to the reveal however it's possible they stopped filming at that point to prevent the footage from ever leaking.

Aside from that, it's been confirmed the BE3 event 2015 worldwide reveal was the same footage revealed only to the attendees at Qcon 2014.

Did you say to him "put GZDoom on Switch" and he humored you? Because that will never happen.

5 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Did you say to him "put GZDoom on Switch" and he humored you? Because that will never happen.

This also surprises me. Was Zenimax not just mentioning some features of GZdoom as part of a remake project cease they sent a cease and desist a few weeks back? 

Perhaps someone at id studio convinced the big corporate Zenimax decisionmakers to lighten up and let them use GZdoom going forward?

24 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

This also surprises me. Was Zenimax not just mentioning some features of GZdoom as part of a remake project cease they sent a cease and desist a few weeks back? 

As far as I understand the situation, that remake was committing some copyright infringement. The use of GZDoom (which also appeared to be modified) was not the reason it received a C&D, and then there was also the usage of Freedoom in a highly questionable way.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Uploading vanilla maps (and Doom 64) is a "We can't say right now but we have some surprises in the future".

Could it be? 1.0

Also if they manage to do something with GZDoom, that probably also means sayonara accuracy.

40 minutes ago, Linguica said:

That didn't come from Hugo but from one of the developers at the stand.  I had the impression it was wishful hoping.

4 hours ago, Zemini said:

That didn't come from Hugo but from one of the developers at the stand.  I had the impression it was wishful hoping.

So by GZDoom on Switch you mean "one guy said it would be cool" and it is absolutely not coming to Switch. Glad we cleared this up!

Maybe I need to make my self more clear.  I never said they said it was coming only that there was desire.  The Id developer at the stand told me he was worked on the port.  Maybe he just was lying.  He mentioned that he wants (which doesn't mean that is going to happen) to see user made levels (and mods) playable on the new portable version.  A long term goal perhaps?  I mentioned GZDoom and he said he loves GZDOom, Doom builder and Slade and makes user made levels with the other port team all the time.  That is it.

17 hours ago, Zemini said:

I also asked about the Baalgar and got a interesting answer.

Could you share the answer they gave you about the Baalgar? I've been interested in the meaning of his name. I think I'm wrong but it has something to do with Lord of something, possibly shadows...

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Could you share the answer they gave you about the Baalgar? I've been interested in the meaning of his name. I think I'm wrong but it has something to do with Lord of something, possibly shadows...

There really isn't much to share which is why I didnt mention it.  I just wanted to ask if we see a Baalgar again in some form.  I had several drinks at this point so my memory is hazy.  The you-tube guy Midnight was right near me so he might remember his exact words.

Me:  Hey do you know what the Baalgar is?

Hugo:  Yes that is ugh (snaps fingers to recollect) ... the cyber demon.

Me:  Will he make a return in Doom Eternal?

Hugo:  (Big smile on his face) you will have to wait ... you are going to be in for a big surprise.

That can basically mean anything.