Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

Regardless, I would advise you download it now while you still can. I love my work and I hope I can continue to make updates.

Yeah, the first thing I did after reading about this possible release was making sure I got the latest version of Retribution. It's my favourite of the D64 recreations. Thank you, Nevander! Hopefully you can still work on this.

11 hours ago, Nevander said:

Hey guys, if Doom 64 is actually being re-released or officially ported, it's possible I may be given a C&D. I certainly hope not though.

I don't know if they would also go after Absolution TC, Brutal Doom 64, GZDoom64, or GEC Master Edition as well. Mine and BD64 are certainly the most well known so there's no doubt we would be targeted first (and possibly only us).

EX is most likely safe, since you need the ROM anyway. It's literally only an executable. No data is included with EX.

I hope they will view my project and others as "fan recreations" or something similar, instead of as an actual "remake." The former may allow them to stay up, since they are not really the original game in that sense.

Regardless, I would advise you download it now while you still can. I love my work and I hope I can continue to make updates.

In the case of a C&D, couldn't you just remove the assets and then require the official wad in order to function?

It depends on the quality of their port, of course, but most likely, D64R will be a much better port than their own, judging by the terrible ports they released for Doom 1 and 2.

10 minutes ago, LeoNatan said:

In the case of a C&D, couldn't you just remove the assets and then require the official wad in order to function?

It depends on the quality of their port, of course, but most likely, D64R will be a much better port than their own, judging by the terrible ports they released for Doom 1 and 2.

Except that this time around, they might actually get NDS to do the job, besides Kaiser already made D64 EX, they might as well modify that and turn it into an official multi-platform port for the game. And NDS are known for their high quality remasters of the games of olde.

But that being said, how did we not think about this at all lol. The mod could simply be modified, but that's probably going to be a pretty time-consuming job since it will have to work with a different game that's running on a different engine.

48 minutes ago, seed said:

NDS are known for their high quality remasters

Good joke.

13 minutes ago, Thenuke said:

Good joke.

Fresh Supply is the only exception as far as I'm aware, and that because they ran out of time.

Looks like they finally sorted out who owns the Doom 64 trademark after the Midway collapse as Bethesda applied for the rating. By the way Zenimax has got Bethesda to behave, it would not surprise me that some aggressive tactics to establish a copyright might occur. I also think they wont let NDS and the Kex engine, which Doom 64 EX was an early example of, port out Doom 64. But as others have said there doesn't seem to be anything in Doom 64 EX that they can do a lawsuit over, so we'll have that always (I hope).

What I have heard is that the Doom 1 and 2 release is in an engine re-built in Unity. I bet they will leverage that engine to do a Doom 64 port. I probably wouldn't be interested in a straight port, because we have that already and Doom 64: Retribution which adds so much great extras. My wish would be that they obtained some of the original models so a HD port could be done, but I doubt any of that was held onto when Midway folded.

Regardless @Nevander my offer from twitch still stands, which is taking any of my audio work (or anything else you might like in my pk3) for use. Also as long as this project still stands, and since I wasn't always true to the original D64 audio with my work, I can upscale the audio of the few-missing original D64 sounds if wanted!

It's not rebuilt in Unity. It's a source port that is running inside Unity, so that they don't have to deal with platform specifics, such as input, drawing, sound, etc.

It's still quite an incompetent port, because it runs at 90% speed. People are complaining about the music sounding off, but the entire game is crawling and nobody is speaking about it. Just shows how much of a "fan" these youtuber clowns are.

17 hours ago, seed said:

Except that this time around, they might actually get NDS to do the job, besides Kaiser already made D64 EX, they might as well modify that and turn it into an official multi-platform port for the game. And NDS are known for their high quality remasters of the games of olde.

But that being said, how did we not think about this at all lol. The mod could simply be modified, but that's probably going to be a pretty time-consuming job since it will have to work with a different game that's running on a different engine.

It shouldn't be such a time-consuming job. Asset references can be modified in a script.

13 minutes ago, LeoNatan said:

Just shows how much of a "fan" these youtuber clowns are.

They made the videos for the money and the popularity. I doubt 90% of those people talking about the Switch/Android ports of Doom barely know about Doom itself.

Yes, but they claim to be "biggest Doom fans" "back in the day". It's pathetic. YouTube has become a cesspool of "personalities" that only care about money.

Edit: Apparently I can't post more than a few posts a day. That's ridiculous.

Edited by LeoNatan

On 7/29/2019 at 3:20 PM, LeoNatan said:

Yes, but they claim to be "biggest Doom fans" "back in the day". It's pathetic. YouTube has become a cesspool of "personalities" that only care about money.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's kind of hard to find high quality gaming contents on Youtube these days.

Anyways let's stop before this topic derailed into a general discussion about the fall of Youtube.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

18 hours ago, Thenuke said:

Good joke.

Fresh Supply is a lot better now Post patch... where's the Joke again?

I'll be sure to grab D64: R while i still can if this really becomes a big issue

As if that kind of thing ever stopped mods and things being available anyway. Not to mention the sheer volume of already existing mods here on Doomworld that use parts of various other commercial games or other ports.

Hopefully nothing will happen, and it would be a pity if it does. I really want to see D64R get released with the Doom 64 lighting effects eventually.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, seed said:

Fresh Supply is the only exception as far as I'm aware, and that because they ran out of time.

12 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Fresh Supply is a lot better now Post patch... where's the Joke again?

Well, I don't want to turn this topic into an unrelated debate so I'll just say that :

Spoiler

_They didn't release the original levels for Turok 2 even when having been asked politely, it's been 2 years now. (Their half-assed responses to that are hilarious)

_They didn't release all the N64 levels for Forsaken, just some of them. (It's like a half-finished job, you port everything or nothing, you just don't port like you want, you have to do your job right)

_Even after the patches, Fresh Supply still feels so wrong, especially when it comes to the splash damage of the explosions and the damage system, everything seems nerfed, the enemies and even the player.

I feel like they're so proud of their Kex engine that they don't even give the attention these games deserve anymore, when they're done with one game, they just move on to the next one. They just keep disappointing me. If your job is to bring back old games to life, do it right, respect the game and finish the port.

But I digress, I might as well say something related to the topic. ^^'

@Nevander , has there been progress since last time ? :)

On 7/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, Nevander said:

Hey guys, if Doom 64 is actually being re-released or officially ported, it's possible I may be given a C&D. I certainly hope not though.

You know, this might sound naively optimistic, but I really don't think this will be an issue. If it were a Nintendo property, then yeah (well, it would have happened a long time ago) but I don't see Bethesda and certainly not Night Dive seeing this as a financial threat, and they are certainly more aware as a company of the community backlash and the threat to sales that would entail. The same folks that value the TC's will be a good faction of the folks purchasing this if it happens, regardless of already owning the TC's, and they wouldn't really impede sales of PS4 or Switch official D64 ports.  

On 7/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, Spladam said:

You know, this might sound naively optimistic, but I really don't think this will be an issue. If it were a Nintendo property, then yeah (well, it would have happened a long time ago) but I don't see Bethesda and certainly not Night Dive seeing this as a financial threat, and they are certainly more aware as a company of the community backlash and the threat to sales that would entail. The same folks that value the TC's will be a good faction of the folks purchasing this if it happens, regardless of already owning the TC's, and they wouldn't really impede sales of PS4 or Switch official D64 ports.  

Good observation. Because Midway developed and published Doom 64 while Id Software oversaw and monitored the game's development. In the long run, Doom 64 will likely be in good hands.

I've put the D64R files on GZDoom's files (sorry for redundancy) but it seems like it wouldn't detect the wad itself. GZDoom is on g4.2.0 and the version for the wad is the one from November. Is there any fix for it? 

GZDoom can't detect Retribution because it's not an IWAD. You have to run it with GZDoom manually, typically by dragging the .WAD file onto gzdoom.exe. You will need to have a Doom 2 IWAD (Doom 2, Plutonia, or TNT) or Freedoom Phase 2.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, Nevander said:

GZDoom can't detect Retribution because it's not an IWAD. You have to run it with GZDoom manually, typically by dragging the .WAD file onto gzdoom.exe. You will need to have a Doom 2 IWAD (Doom 2, Plutonia, or TNT) or Freedoom Phase 2.

Wow, I honestly did not realize you're supposed to do that. Thanks a lot for that, I'm kinda new to the whole wads thing so any help would be great. Thanks (and sorry if I sound a bit too repetitive, also new to the whole forum thing)

2 hours ago, ArcturusRA64 said:

Wow, I honestly did not realize you're supposed to do that. Thanks a lot for that, I'm kinda new to the whole wads thing so any help would be great. Thanks (and sorry if I sound a bit too repetitive, also new to the whole forum thing)

Most PWADs are done this way. Think of IWADs as the actual core game content, and PWADs as stuff that replaces said core game content.

The exception is stuff that has entirely self-contained assets and are essentially total conversions.

Basically, anything listed here gets loaded as a IWAD and has all the stuff needed to load on its own, assuming you have the file.

Anything else that's not one of those is a PWAD and will need the appropriate IWAD to run correctly, which varies from PWAD to PWAD. The Readme for the PWAD should tell you what you need.

For what it's worth, Freedoom Phase 1 is a free/legal replacement for Ultimate Doom, and Freedoom Phase 2 is the same but for Doom II. You can use those to run Doom/Doom II content if you lack the originals.

(PS: Modders can actually declare their files as an IWAD, but these will always end with a .iwad or .ipk3 extension, and have an IWADINFO lump inside. Otherwise, if it doesn't match the internal list, assume it's loaded as a PWAD.)

Edited by Dark Pulse

On 7/29/2019 at 4:03 AM, LeoNatan said:

It's not rebuilt in Unity. It's a source port that is running inside Unity, so that they don't have to deal with platform specifics, such as input, drawing, sound, etc.

It's still quite an incompetent port, because it runs at 90% speed. People are complaining about the music sounding off, but the entire game is crawling and nobody is speaking about it. Just shows how much of a "fan" these youtuber clowns are.

Okay, let's clear up this bit of misinformation. It's not running at 90% speed. The reason the it seems slower is because of how analog movement is handled. It works in the way moving the mouse moves the player in Vanilla Doom and straferunning doesn't work with that alone, thus it seems slower. If you were to use the single joycon mode, which uses the shoulder buttons for strafing, you'll be able to straferun like usual, thus moving at the speed pretty much everyone is used to.

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

@Nevander Doom 64 confirmed re-release at least on Switch, and possibly PC/PS4, coincident with Doom Eternal on November 22nd.

Hmm. I wonder why he didn't say the other consoles too in that reveal? Maybe the accident was that it was rated on those consoles? Maybe it's a Switch only re-release so the modern Nintendo system gets its exclusive back?

13 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Hmm. I wonder why he didn't say the other consoles too in that reveal? Maybe the accident was that it was rated on those consoles? Maybe it's a Switch only re-release so the modern Nintendo system gets its exclusive back?

Probably because it's cribbed from Nintendo Direct. Ratings boards have shown it got put through for PC and PS4 as well, and I'd bet XBone is likely too. 

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Probably because it's cribbed from Nintendo Direct. Ratings boards have shown it got put through for PC and PS4 as well, and I'd bet XBone is likely too. 

Pretty much this. I initially thought the same but then I remembered this was from Nintendo Direct, so they're probably going to announce the rest of the platforms soon afterwards.

I found a lil quirk with the animations, apparently the Super Shotgun fires a bit faster with classic animations than with modern animations.

1 hour ago, ArcturusRA64 said:

I found a lil quirk with the animations, apparently the Super Shotgun fires a bit faster with classic animations than with modern animations.

Funny thing is that I just noticed the same thing today. Also Plasma gun refires instantly with classic animations but not with modern animations (though in plasma's case it is obvious why).