Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hunting4r2d2

The New BFG

In the recent Battlemode trailer I noticed two interesting aspects of the BFG:

1.   The weapon has a much higher ammo count is now much higher (90 cells) and consumes 30 cells per shot.

2.   It now has a weapon mod with a visible icon right next to the ammo count.

BFG.png.11ad46124e9f25635d399f51b7f473f7.png

I wonder if this means we're receiving the cut BFG mods from Doom 2016 since some of those mods (i.e., quake 3 one) would justify the need to divide the ammo into smaller cells.

I just wonder how much can you do with BFG mods besides the BFG10K from Quake 3 and the cut alpha/beta "christmas lights" fire from the pre release versions.

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I just wonder how much can you do with BFG mods besides the BFG10K from Quake 3 and the cut alpha/beta "christmas lights" fire from the pre release versions.

It is pretty hard to make a player pick anything else a super weapon could do over it just being a super weapon, so maybe just make it a badass super weapon with different styles. It could fire a giant laser. Or shoot lightning tendrils that pummel enemies at an absurd distance.

BFG II

The theoretical design for the BFG-9000 was first put forward by the R&D department in the Advanced Research Complex, and the concept was later given its own funding program. The BFG Division was formed to develop a working design. Several prototype weapons have since been made. The prototypes never went into full production due to numerous testing accidents and the deadly radiation spikes produced. Previous versions of the weapon had slightly different energy patterns to the current generation. Some released solitary Argent spheres that unleash a deadly wave upon impact, others formed an Argent laser that cuts through anything in its path. The current prototype, the BFG-9000, creates Argent streams that seek out targets and boils them alive.

I'm betting on these.

If I remember correctly, the four mods cut from 2016 were a flamethrower, a quake 3 BFG fire mode, a railgun shot, and even more powerful argent sphere that traveled at an arc. Honestly, any of these are fair game.

The argent sphere is referencing the OG BFG and the Argent laser is referencing the unmaker from doom 64 in my opinion

I wonder if one of the possible mods could involve homing streams of projectiles that resemble the alpha/beta fire but one could also see it as a tribute to the Wraithverge from Hexen.

Picture of the new Doom Eternal badge pins with the BFG included.  It's still called the "BFG 9000" and it's model looks more or less the same besides some minor detail changes in the front.

Doom-Pin-Badge-Set-NS-04.jpg

I was kinda wishing they'd bring back the handle things from the classic designs, considering Eternal's art direction and how even the BFG in Rage 2 had it. (even if it wasn't done in a way that made sense because it only had one handle instead of two for some reason)

But you can't always have everything.

Maybe there's a part where you find the BFG with them and the Doomguy takes them off because he doesn't need them or something.

bfg examples.png

On 10/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, whatup876 said:

I wonder if one of the possible mods could involve homing streams of projectiles that resemble the alpha/beta fire but one could also see it as a tribute to the Wraithverge from Hexen.

Considering these would be seeking plasma balls piercing through enemies than conscious ghosts, then that would resemble Bloodscourge more than wraithverge.

What I wonder more is that if it will actually act more like BFG from Quake 2, and have more ammo for it. I find the ammo supply for it way too rare in Doom 2016, definitelly not enough to have constant fun with it.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:10 PM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

and have more ammo for it. I find the ammo supply for it way too rare in Doom 2016, definitelly not enough to have constant fun with it. 

Probably because they treated the weapon as a "just in case" type of thing.

Hope it's not just a button press like what's happening with the chainsaw now.

But yeah, a BFG that shoots a spread of homing projectiles, some of which going for the same enemy depending on the current enemy count, could be something.

Might as well be what this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jYFneBvWo could have been.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I'd still like for it to have a huge single devastating ball that just zaps everyone around it as it flies.

For normal fire, sure. I think they're discussing alt fire / weapon mod.