Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

Would it be cheating if i..

warp myself to the map i'm on but on a lower difficulty, because ultraviolence is kinda too much for me, 

every corner i'm being violated by onethousand god damn imps and i kinda wanna just don't wanna keep dying

is it cheating if i start a new game on a lower difficulty and warping to the level i'm currently on?

If you want to keep your progression for the next map and on the higher difficulty, just give yourself god mode for the current map, or at least sections of it.

Otherwise exactly what Jamon said, better to lower the difficulty than be frustrated.

in fact it is totally valid make that

why is cheating if you only down a little the difficulty?

First of all, it is totally legitimate. Imagine going through the whole WAD again if you want to play a specific map.

Secondly, why do you even care? It is a single player game after all (well, mostly), so play it in the way you have the most fun with. Nobody here is gonna rip your head off for having fun while playing the game.

If a fight is to hard or I softlocked myself due to stupidity or ammo-wasting I always use IDDQD for a short tme until the hurdle is cleared - and I never felt bad about it. And why should I, as @SchwTrdLeenW mentioned - Doom is a mostly single player game and I will have fun playing it. :)

Edited by theDia

for many maps out there even freelook can be considered "cheating". just don't tell anyone, and nobody will blame you. ;-)

I mean, if you use what is technically a cheat code that is cheating in the most rigid sense. In the end though it's playing the way you have the most fun that's important. 

11 hours ago, SchwTrdLeenW said:

First of all, it is totally legitimate. Imagine going through the whole WAD again if you want to play a specific map.

Secondly, why do you even care? It is a single player game after all (well, mostly), so play it in the way you have the most fun with. Nobody here is gonna rip your head off for having fun while playing the game.

This is the Internet.  Of course we're gonna rip off his head for having fun!  We enjoy our anger and righteous indignation!  :)

2 hours ago, Cackledemon said:

There's a part of me that wants to define cheating as "not playing the map in Chocolate Doom".

cute profile pic

You didn't start in skill 1? What are you doing???

Just note that levels 2-3-4 might all be the same, if difficulty is not implemented in the WAD you're playing. If that's the case and your HMP-drop works, congrats! you beat it in UV!

edit: ALSO, if you were 'R33L HxC" you'd be warping to every map to do a pistol start. Warping can make the map harder if you had good weapons. 

41 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

ALSO, if you were 'R33L HxC" you'd be warping to every map to do a pistol start

cheating! why cheat, if it is enough to simply die at that level? ;-)

I used to play 100% UV, all pistol starts, no saves - I ended up not finishing most wads due to frustration. Go ahead and warp on a lower difficulty, it's not giving you an unfair advantage in the map so if you're having fun then it's all good. For the record, I still do UV only (for the most part) + pistol starts but I save now ;p

Pistol starting a map is not a cheat. Start wherever you want on whatever difficulty you want. Hell even warp with your current items; It is your game and you can play whatever difficulty you want (Even if it is a cheat now). All Iwad maps are designed for pistol starting anyway; You'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Pegg said:

Hell even warp with your current items

Is there a way to do this? Even ZDoom's "map *" takes you to pistol start. Or was this figurative? I am just curious now because that could be cool

17 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I used to play 100% UV, all pistol starts, no saves - I ended up not finishing most wads due to frustration. Go ahead and warp on a lower difficulty, it's not giving you an unfair advantage in the map so if you're having fun then it's all good. For the record, I still do UV only (for the most part) + pistol starts but I save now ;p

oh hey it's the moderator i tried to DM on discord, hi!

On 7/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, Cackledemon said:

There's a part of me that wants to define cheating as "not playing the map in Chocolate Doom".

The better part of a week later and I find myself coming back to this thread to elaborate on a drive-by shitpost I left behind. Heh.

I never thought I'd end up a Vanilla purist. I really didn't. But when I first played Chocolate Doom, I found that it was a totally new experience. Weird little things about the game suddenly made sense. It really hit me just how much about modern source ports I had been taking for granted. I realized that if you want to experience the original games as they were originally designed -- you have to play it in Vanilla or in a very conservative source port. Even things like graphical quality have a measurable effect on the gameplay experience: if your screen resolution is higher than the max settings that Vanilla allows, you will be able to clearly see monsters in the distance that would otherwise just be a barely-recognizable blob of pixels that has to be identified by color scheme. Is '90s-era graphics a better way to play the game? Not necessarily, but it's how the game was originally designed. I don't doubt that id would have made the graphics sharper if they could have, but they couldn't, so they didn't, and we got what we got. If you want to experience Doom as it was back in the day, as the game that would become the progenitor of the modern first-person shooter, you have to forgo some modern niceties.

Of course, that's a gigantic "if". If you just wanna play some Doom, just  play some Doom. Eat the meal you cook for yourself with the seasonings and condiments you like, not the just the ones that the twenty-six-year-old recipe asks for. In doing so, you will be giving yourself advantages that may not be part of how the designer designed the game. If that's not cheating, then warping to your previous position on a lower difficulty certainly isn't, since that doesn't actually give you any advantage over having started from the beginning on the earlier difficulty.

tl;dr yeah it could be considered cheating, but you are almost certainly already doing things that could also be considered cheating. It's up to you to decide what "cheating" means, so you might as well give it a definition that lets you have fun with the game instead of bashing your head against the wall.

In my view as long as you are enjoying the game, who cares. It is a single player game and what others have stated and what I think is that you should have fun with the game. There will all ways be someone who disagrees with how you play Doom. I also bet there is someone out there who prefers to play Doom on a computer from 1993 and insists that is the best way to play the game. Just enjoy the game and have fun.

When I was younger I used to hand-wring about playing games “correctly” but now I don’t see games as something to be anxious about doing “correctly” but a short break from normal life that I don’t owe any anxiety to due to the fact it’s supposed to be relaxing not some sort of implicit contest with people better than me who do care about such things who I’m not even trying to compete with anyway.

If you're playing single player, it's not cheating as long as you're still having fun.

On 7/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, Boomslang said:

warp myself to the map i'm on but on a lower difficulty, because ultraviolence is kinda too much for me, 

every corner i'm being violated by onethousand god damn imps and i kinda wanna just don't wanna keep dying

is it cheating if i start a new game on a lower difficulty and warping to the level i'm currently on?

In this instance, no I don't consider it cheating.

If on the other hand you continued to play on UV and threw in IDDQD or IDKFA and just kept going, well yeah, that's cheating.

End of the day, you do you.

cheats should be an assistance that balances your level of handicap as player.

for example, as you get older and maybe not be as good as you used to be anymore due to your lack of agility, or lack of sight, or whatever incapability, you're very well than welcome to balance the settings in a way that can accomodate your capacity.

cheating as in taking advantage over the game is intended when you're more than able to use your own skill, but you have the nerve to win the game without using your own skills.

every player of the past has been slave to limitations that were due to hardware, system crashes, internet lag and all that silly crap that messes up with your gameplay.

since the player handicap is also defined by all those things that don't help making it an equal game it ain't no shame in not coming out being the best player when your adversary wins over you.

of course today we all have better computer systems so we're less slaves to those unbalances.

you can cheat to accomodate your capacity as long as you'll keep a door open to improve your natural skills and, one day at a time, try to add back the limitations that make it difficult for you to play the game, until you reach or get as close to the original behavior of the game, and can say that you're able to beat the game like anybody else :p