Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

anyone been getting these Deepsea errors?

Everytime I right click a sector to edit the tags, types, etc, in Zdoom/Hexen mode, Deepsea gives me these two error msg, then shuts down:

Has anyone been getting these errors? I hope its just me and not the software, because I don't want to de-grade back to a old version (I still have the old version from 2-13-02 that still works)

Does this happen with all wads? And do you have DeePSea 11.66?

EDIT: stupid, stupid, stupid...

i HATE those error messages... i'm assuming you have Windows 2000? the memory could not be "read" (read is in quotes... wtf?)

i've never had errors like that w/ DeePsea... i have registered DeePsea 11.66. it used to freeze countless times but then the problem just sorta went away... strange

Is this a recent event? Sounds like it is or else you would have reported it sooner. If so, then it's unlikely it's DeePsea itself.
The "memory could not be read" sounds like a hardware error - seems it would get a protection exception, not that message?

Lots of things can cause issues, from new video/sound drivers (most common) to new "background" programs such as keyboard intercept jobbies (also common), hardware changes and so on, including corruption of the level by the other utilities you are using. Or even the dreaded cross-linked file since you indicate an older (prior?) version works.

Please send me the level and I'll test it - tell me the sector this happens on or if anywhere. I run XP, which I think you also are running (can run on 98 too). That's the only way to quickly find answers.

Also when you send the level I can update you to 11.66. No big changes. I've never had time to update the webpage - 11.66 has been out for a long time. Mostly a change to 2nd sidedef missing texture display defaults.

The "memory could not be read" sounds like a hardware error

False. "The memory could not be read" is the standard error message when a program attempts to read memory it hasn't allocated (at least on my computer).

Epyo said:

Does this happen with all wads?

it happens when I am editing in Zdoom/Hexen mode, doesn't matter what wad I am editing on

deep said:

Is this a recent event? Sounds like it is or else you would have reported it sooner. If so, then it's unlikely it's DeePsea itself.
The "memory could not be read" sounds like a hardware error - seems it would get a protection exception, not that message?

Lots of things can cause issues, from new video/sound drivers (most common) to new "background" programs such as keyboard intercept jobbies (also common), hardware changes and so on, including corruption of the level by the other utilities you are using. Or even the dreaded cross-linked file since you indicate an older (prior?) version works.

Please send me the level and I'll test it - tell me the sector this happens on or if anywhere. I run XP, which I think you also are running (can run on 98 too). That's the only way to quickly find answers.

Also when you send the level I can update you to 11.66. No big changes. I've never had time to update the webpage - 11.66 has been out for a long time. Mostly a change to 2nd sidedef missing texture display defaults.

It could be my drivers for my video card, but this been happening ever since I upgraded to 11.65, which was a while back. I just thought is was my memory that went bad.....but when I was messing with a older version, it doesn't crash when I try to edit a sector's properties in zdoom/hexen mode...

so I am begining to think it could be 11.65...

btw, I am running in Windows 2000

Fredrik said:

False. "The memory could not be read" is the standard error message when a program attempts to read memory it hasn't allocated (at least on my computer).

If a program references an address not allocated) you get a protection fault (as I noted). I've never seen the above message for a good reason (see below). For anyone that gets this message, just check this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;262490

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197122

Follow the instructions in the article. There are other similar knowledge base remarks on the same error message. Depends on what you are smoking that day.

Btw - there is no difference in the dialogs between regular and Hexen mode. So that can't be the problem. The variables are the level size and contents. Probably pushing memory requirements a tad bit more.

And since you've had 11.65 for a long time - why didn't you write me long ago?

deep said:

And since you've had 11.65 for a long time - why didn't you write me long ago?

I did, but you said it could be bad memory. A couple of days ago, I remembered I still had my old version of Deepsea from feb 12, 2002, on my hard drive and I installed that version again to see if it does the same thing, and it didn't crash, so I thought maybe it was the 11.65 version.

Btw, I am going to install the latest service pack for windows 2000 to see if that fixes it.

I tried to edit above earlier but couldn't access.

It's true you wrote before. I had several guesses (one of which was memory), but you never followed up with the info I requested.

I also sent you 11.66 on 9/2/02, another reason it didn't click with me.

So I assume your post means you are behind on service packs?

You should be able to edit your own earlier posts. Maybe you just hit someone else's by mistake.

I use Deepsea and have never gotten those two errors. Deep does enjoy randomly crashing on me sometimes, however.

I was about to bitch cause I thought I was using 11.65 and I bought deepsea just a few months ago, but alas, it's 11.66. you rocketh deep, love the software. I've built a few whoppers with it already and haven't seen this error.

deep said:

I tried to edit above earlier but couldn't access.

It's true you wrote before. I had several guesses (one of which was memory), but you never followed up with the info I requested.

I also sent you 11.66 on 9/2/02, another reason it didn't click with me.

So I assume your post means you are behind on service packs?

yeah, I never trust service packs, but it looks like I have no choice...

I installed Service pack 3 and still doesn't work.

I even got the same error messages when I tried to install the service pack, I had to restart my computer to get the setup working...

I think it has to be my memory.

but I got one stick of 512mb ram. and since its the only one I got, it might be it causing the problems....

Deathman said:

I installed Service pack 3 and still doesn't work.

I even got the same error messages when I tried to install the service pack, I had to restart my computer to get the setup working...

If the service pack gave you the message as it tried to install, then most likely the service pack did not install completely but aborted at that point. IOW, it's likely the fix for this error was not applied so you'll never get rid of the problem.

Do search on the message at microsoft support (or post a message on their support forum) and see if anyone knows about this. I didn't follow all the links for this error message - could be something else there that is relevant.

Or just get XP:)

Btw - I can't help you much further without something to work with - such as the level with the error (or does any level do this?) including any modified OPT files that could be the problem.

What is the weirdest is no dialogs are different for any project. Especially sector mode. Other dialogs just get grayed out areas. Try running with a stock OPT file, since that does make a difference.

well, I tried two different things, first I used another opt file in zdoom/hexen mode, and still gives me the error,

then I went into doom2.prj, and under options I checked zdoom/hexen and still gives me the error.

bah, guess whenever I need to edit a zdoom map, I'll have to use 11.57...

I've tried to get this info before - so I'll try here:

1. Do regular stock levels work ok (not in ZDOOMHEXEN mode)?

2. Does this happen with ANY level, even a stock DOOM level in ZDOOMHEXEN mode?

3. What kind of BG tasks do you have running? Have you tried to disable them and see what happens?

I'm trying to see if it's your level or just a general problem. So please give me some more info. If it's your level, you should send the level to me to see if I can spot something.

It's likely that the service packs are not installed since you said the install crashed. Before you install the service packs, reboot the machine and do nothing else. Also disable your background tasks.

What you should also do is disable ToolBars and see what happens. Press the PAUSE key and disable all the toolbars. A small part relies on IE code. I hope you have at least IE5 installed.

any level, a regular doom wad, or custom pwad, it happens on any.

and I had noton antivirus running, but even disabling it, it still happends

I even borrowed a 512mb ram from a friend in place the the old ram I had and it STILL does the same thing.

edit: OH btw, when I booted my computer today, I got that message at start up.

And it was wuauclt.exe from the service pack folders after I installed sp3....its been getting worse lately..I can't even unstall a program now...

Deathman said:

any level, a regular doom wad, or custom pwad, it happens on any.

Well that makes sense. It was implied all this time that is was ZDOOMHEXEN levels only. Actually even this post is not all that clear. The best way to do these kind of things is to answer each question explicitly. By "any level", you could mean "any" ZDOOMHEXEN level?

As the links I posted stated, it's not a memory problem. It's a bug in Win2000. Things like this can happen just because of a minor shift in the memory footprint which then crosses a boundary and triggers the error.

Looks like you need to reinstall Win2000 or get XP. Something got hosed. You'll be happier with XP anyway regards gaming and new device driver support:)

sorry for not explaining well, I mean when I am in Zdoom/Hexen mode, doesn't matter what I am editing on, as long I am in Zdoom/Hexen mode, this error occurs.

man, I tired reinstalling windows 2000, I put the cd in and clicked reinstall, but gives me that message again.

I'll have to do it via bios.

this could either be my motherboard or windows 2000...which I hope its the os...

Pretty sure it's the OS. Hard to be 100% on these sort of things since it could just be something simple that might be obvious if I was there in person.

Reminds me of a lady that called me on my first installation. She couldn't get her "program" to work. After about 15 stressful minutes (she was getting a bit annoyed), I accidently asked the key question. "What are the lights doing on the computer?", I asked (this was a mini-computer 1979 that had lights that blinked with the timer and such). "There are no lights on", she replied. LOL - she never turned the computer on. True story.

lol!

I am going to do a little "test"

I'll start win2k up in safe mode, and try to make that msg come up again, if it doesn't, then it has to be my drivers......

Sounds like machine code addressing - an issue with your actual system reacting to the program works, i had similar error messages refering to addresses (hex) just for browsing the web , and asked me to debug 'bad' page scripts!. Im guessing its to do with that based on my past probs. Have you got any c++ compilers installed, or any programming enviroment? invites to debug are usually called from the registry when such tools are on your system. This is just abnomrmal exp. ive had :P