Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@nicolas monti

Doomworld forum topic

Darkness is the name of the game here, but it’s implemented fairly and cleverly. I really like how this map connects and/or changes so that it feels like a big picture, rather than a series of rooms connected only by door.

Bottom line: Another identifiable map with a strong layout

@The Mysterious Moustachio @DMPhobos

Doomworld form topic (project)

I love the layout. It's mostly wide open but very clever and your traveling about is intuitive. I love the look. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's clean, diverse, and nicely detailed. I love the action. It takes a while to develop a sense of safety, but getting there is not annoying in any way. Two of the three secrets (didn’t find the third) were just simple supply closets, so at least 66% is a little too high a ratio of that for me, but that’s about the extent of my complaining.

Bottom line: wide open exploratory fun

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

Bottom line: Another identifiable map with a strong layout

A really cool Montimap with some utterly vicious traps. However, there's no HAK3180 commentary with it. I checked the Interception map and again, no commentary track. I then learned it started with Austinado's map. Natch, your running commentary is one of the things we like most about your videos, and in Frasnian, it sure looked like you were making comments because I recognize the way you move the mouse when you're looking around and making remarks. Here's hoping you haven't lost the commentary tracks and can just restore them and re-upload the videos.

If you are tagged in this post, please read the whole thing, especially before "reacting"

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

However, there's no HAK3180 commentary with it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. You know, I used to watch at least some of my videos before posting them here, perhaps a practice I need to get back into. It looks like it coincides with a Windows update. Seems the recording software suddenly didn't remember my secondary recording device, i.e. microphone. I haven't changed settings on the recording software in months. But I've got it straightened out now.

Unfortunately, I've only seen this message after finishing my recordings for today, which was...eight maps. And more unfortunately yet, I did so many because I won't be recording again until Thursday. 

So... this applies to the following:

@Austinado (Scourge III Map 03)

@nicolas monti (Massexe map 06)

@The Mysterious Moustachio/@DMPhobos (Interception II Map 20)

Your videos are up without commentary. I can redo these as demos with commentary if you want. I could attempt to add "live" after-the-fact commentary to the videos, which I have one not-so-great idea on how to do. Or we can just leave it as is. Your choice.

So, if you want your video redone with live commentary, please invisibility sphere this post. If you want me to add after-the-fact commentary to the FDA video, please invulnerability this post. If you don't react or react otherwise, I will leave the video as is.

And then you guys for upcoming:

@Milkman (Birthday Bash Map 06)

@Casketkrusher (Condemned to Eternity Map 03)

@GhostPlayer (Eternal Nightmares Revenge Map 01)

@RonnieJamesDiner (10 - 10 Maps 4-6)

@Steve D (Shotgun Symphony M3

@Capellan (Spectrum M5)

I can upload my commentary-less video or I can redo the map(s) as a live commentary SDA. And if you want the latter, I guess there's no reason you couldn't have the former too, as they're already done.

So, if you want a live commentary SDA in addition to the game sounds only FDA, please megasphere this post.

If you want a live commentary SDA instead of the game sounds only FDA, please invulnerability this post.

If you don't react or react otherwise, you are good with the game sounds only FDA.

I can't see putting you through M3 again. That's a good 20 - 30 minutes of work. Nuh-uh. It's just one of those unfortunate things. I loved this Win10 update because it gave me my long lusted-after Dark Mode. The price I pay is the loss of a commentary track. So it goes. Maybe just some extra written comments when you upload it, especially anything that bothered you or that you didn't like. I'm currently working on v1.1 -- I had no choice after I discovered some ridiculous texture errors -- so there's still time to work on anything that's truly messed up.

Sorry I didn't catch it sooner.

The commentary is definitely the most important thing, to me, but I'm loathe to make you re-play maps.

Would it be easier to record a separate audio commentary while you're watching your existing video, and then upload the audio track somewhere like Google drive?  I'm happy to play both the video and the audio track at the same time, and it saves you having to re-do the map and re-upload a whole video?

@HAK3180 I'm quite happy with the commentary-less FDA's you've already done, considering it's just maps 4-6. I've been loving the commentary so far, but I don't think it's necessary for you to do the extra work. I'm mostly interested in watching how the maps play out (i.e. what kind of strategy gets employed, which scenarios are the easiest/hardest, etc.). Thanks!

I actually ran into the exact same problem with a Windows update recently. I updated, and then couldn't figure out for the life of me why no one in Discord could hear me. But, the issue was like you said, I had to go back into my settings (both Discord and actually my main audio settings) and tell everything what to use by default again.  

@RonnieJamesDiner

Doomworld forum topic

This map has some nice background scenery and a fun little gimmick. In my first attempt I refuse to shoot for fear of what might happen. That fails. My second attempt is pretty successful until I miss the plasma gun. From there I realize shooting isn't the end of the world. I think this is a cool idea, but this map feels a bit incomplete, like this would be a suitable beginning or end of a map, but it doesn't feel like a full map, while many of the others do, brevity notwithstanding. 

@RonnieJamesDiner

Doomworld forum topic

That the barrels don't play a more significant role is a little bit disappointing, but I like how each section of this map has a unique challenge: first it's about precise and efficient movement. Then it's mostly about self placement. Then you've got to react quickly upon teleporting, and probably take the teleports multiple times to get the bulk cells and keys.

@RonnieJamesDiner

Doomworld forum topic

I like this a lot. I'd love to see this concept explored in a longer set. It's very interesting how the drastically the threat hierarchy can change depending on circumstances. One specific comment I made was that it's not just about whom you target first, but it's also about which ammo you use on whom.. Starting with three rockets, for example, not four, makes a huge difference, in how you approach the vile.

@HAK3180 Ay thank you for the playthrough, i didn't knew you were recording that map so it was cool to see another playthrough!, and it certainly feels different now that it has a different music to what i had in mind, also it seems you found a possible skip hehe. Glad to hear you enjoyed the map

I did thought it was weird that you ran in silence for the first few minutes, but seeing that it supposed to be with commentary it makes sense, obviously i would had loved to hear your thoughts on the map with more detail, but at the same time i don't know you're feeling up for another go, so if you don't feel like redoing the map again, it's fine by me

Edited by DMPhobos

@Capellan 

After the fact commentary audio file is here.

Doomworld forum topic

This map’s and M4’s general layouts are alike: medium-ish rooms connected to more medium-ish rooms. Not a lot of hallways; not a lot of void space. This one reuses previous areas a bit more though, which is perhaps its defining feature. Good ammo balance, good structure, good appearance.

Bottom line: similar to M4, interconnected and engaging

Edited by HAK3180

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic

At the beginning, I wanted to show the connection to the previous map. Hence the load. Then I just didn’t want to start the map with 80. Throughout I comment on the great use of crossfire, which Steve mentioned was a specific goal of M1. I appreciate how my early secret failure didn’t translate to no chance of success. Around 25:30, I comment somewhat neutrally on the very subtle secret hint. About 30:22, I “remember” that the yellow door is blocked; that’s why I wander a bit after that. Just a bit of foolishness. About 34:25 I mention I’m not a huge fan of being locked in there, but I appreciate that I am sorta warned that this is the exit and the map seems to be telling you only to go in there if you are prepared to forfeit the secret exit. But I still cheat to get out.

Again, there’s nothing unique here, but Steve D does a fine job of continuing to make this E1 style combat interesting and challenging. I encountered no baron in this map, and the cacodemons were not exactly spammed. It’s mostly a clever and efficient placement of sergeants, barrels, and enough imps to distract you from the snipers. There's also a good use of barrels that both you and the enemy can use to your advantage.

Bottom line: quality E1 action

@HAK3180 Thanks for the demos, those were fun to watch! Regarding map04, I loved your use of monster infighting, I'd never actually used it to that extent while testing the map, so that was really awesome to see.

18 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

I like this a lot. I'd love to see this concept explored in a longer set. It's very interesting how the drastically the threat hierarchy can change depending on circumstances. One specific comment I made was that it's not just about whom you target first, but it's also about which ammo you use on whom.. Starting with three rockets, for example, not four, makes a huge difference, in how you approach the vile.

This was actually a total re-make (the original release had a completely different map06). Big thanks again to @rdwpa for the feedback on this. I spent a lot of time just testing every combination of monster type/placement in that space, so I'm glad the effort translated into something interesting to play. If I can find a way to explore this specific concept in a larger context, I'll certainly give it a shot. 

I really appreciate the feedback on all three of these maps, thanks again.

16 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

About 34:25 I mention I’m not a huge fan of being locked in there, but I appreciate that I am sorta warned that this is the exit and the map seems to be telling you only to go in there if you are prepared to forfeit the secret exit. But I still cheat to get out.

There's actually a switch right after the exit door that unlocks the way, so that you're able to access the secret exit without cheating :)

@Milkman

Doomworld forum topic

This one’s name (possibly) suggests a lot of chainsaw action, which I don’t like, which could account for my low ammo toward the end. It also has a rather unnecessary invulnerability, but I guess it doesn’t turn things into a breeze because you don’t have much powerful ammo anyway. This thing was also linear to a fault, lacking any interconnections or even hints thereof. I’d not at all be surprised to learn this was the first map created for the set.

Bottom line: Too linear with somewhat awkward combat

Edited by HAK3180

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

Bottom line: It’s well detailed and has a simple, elegant progression. My only issue is the weaponry. It gets a little tedious with so many mid-tiers if you only have shotgun and chaingun.

Thanks for testing :D

I have to balance that. I have to put the bazooka and the Plasma Gun at the beginning levels (Sorry mi english >.<)

@HAK3180 The audio file + video worked great.

I'm not sure if anyone else has done that particular bit of Startan texture shenanigans before, but the answer is "probably".  Certainly I've been monkeying around with other textures in similar ways since MM2 map15, so the basic idea is not new, and there are a lot of maps out there.

Spotted one texture issue and very slightly re-jigged one monster teleport as a result of watching the video.  Link in the playtest thread updated.  I didn't change the BFG secret.  I did previously change one of the secrets on this map because @Demon of the Well said the original was too obtuse, before the public playtest began, but no-one I've watched play M5 has yet found the new easier secret :)

@Capellan, I was intrigued, so I did a tntem secret hunting run. I like when I'm positive something is a secret before activating it, so that was the case this second time with 

Spoiler

the backpack closet. I'm guessing this is the one that hasn't been found yet.

Then, now that I knew where the other three were, I had a feeling about the rough point in the map where the final one would be, so taking things a bit more slowly, I stumbled upon the last one, which is probably the easiest secret of all.

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

This map just feels amateurish. It’s got a little gimmick that isn’t really used well – barons. Nobody is going to fight four barons with shotgun/chaingun. People still would rather not super shotgun multiple barons. And even with an invulnerability + many rockets, if barons aren’t actually blocking progress, there’s not much incentive to kill them all. The map also lacks any interesting geometry/architecture. The little maze was the most fun because it was a decent use of controlled space: a couple distant hitscanners, some imps on top of the maze, and revenants coming in.

Bottom line: Somewhat simplistic Doom, despite custom touches

@DMPhobos, I loved the map, but with a pretty heavy load right now, I think I'll just let the video stand. I'll mention a few things.

• I thought the difficulty was excellent. It walked that fine line of being accessible and challenging. Without great mapping expertise/precision, one often ends up doing one or the other. 
  • The very beginning is actually my SDA because I couldn't figure out how to progress, so I quit to check the complevel. Then I found the shootable switch. I'm probably just an idiot/not all that familiar with these textures. 
  • I definitely assumed the liquid was damaging, so if that's not established earlier in the wad, maybe include a hint that it's okay, like maybe supplies that wouldn't seem worth it to take damage for. But I also pondered what it would be like to have it damaging. I thought it would be interesting to have a few suits throughout and make the liquid -5 or -10 at most.
  •  I thought it did a great job of being navigable. The map was perfectly cohesive, but that did not sacrifice distinct areas, so that even while you were allowed to explore a bit, you knew where you where in the grand scheme.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@Austinado

Doomworld forum topic

This map just feels amateurish. It’s got a little gimmick that isn’t really used well – barons. Nobody is going to fight four barons with shotgun/chaingun. People still would rather not super shotgun multiple barons. And even with an invulnerability + many rockets, if barons aren’t actually blocking progress, there’s not much incentive to kill them all. The map also lacks any interesting geometry/architecture. The little maze was the most fun because it was a decent use of controlled space: a couple distant hitscanners, some imps on top of the maze, and revenants coming in.

Bottom line: Somewhat simplistic Doom, despite custom touches

Man...you are killing me...but yeah..it is what it is. Thank you for playing my map ;)

Admins, is it possible to restore a previous edit history of a post? I seem to have accidentally deleted 16 pages from the original post's table of contents.