Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Switch port?

Im loving it !!! i only play in mobile mode Most Time  before sleeping. Go for it and buy it. You will get the original game, the addon and the lost Mission. Only Multiplayer is missing. 

I gone ahead and bought it. At ten dollars its a fairly good price. So here are my thoughts:

1. The game looks great. One thing that really surprised me about the graphics did not have anything to do with the game itself but the Switch, the actual Switch tablet has a genuinely crisp looking, bright screen that makes playing the game portably that much more of a joy, despite the very wide form with connecting the Joycons feeling awkward at first. In terms of the actual graphics themselves, all the lighting and textures you come to expect from the original PC version is present and accounted for.

2. It performs well. It seems to be targeting the max resolutions of the Switch of both the portable and TV modes, while playing at a max of 60 FPS. This framerate varies though, it can feel silky smooth in some non-combat portions but on the other side of the spectrum, you have instances like exploding a barrel, gibbing three enemies utterly tanking the framerate for a good second or two. It may not be perfect, but it has solid performance and is perfectly playable.

3. The controls on the other hand are mediocre at best. When I first used the Joycons (wirelessly) they felt, well, awkward to me for whatever reason, and this translates to controls not feeling that good in Doom 3 as well. By default horizontal sensitivity is fairly high, but lowering it makes aiming feel much better so you don't end up overshooting your target. Another thing worth noting is the aim assist. While by default it gets the job done I enjoyed the aim assist in the OG Xbox port more. The difference is that the OG Xbox's aim assist felt way more aggressive, feeling less like the game helping you lead a target by slowing down aiming upon the crosshair being close to an enemy and more like the crosshair is locking on to a target upon contact. I thought it worked well. Thankfully as you would expect the keybinds are intuitive.

4. The most controversial aspect of this port is of course the fact that it uses the BFG Edition as a base. The BFG Edition cuts out certain portions of the levels and apparently even makes level lighting brighter. There is of course the armor mounted flashlight, which while I am not bothered by there are people who are. What doesn't make sense is the huge buffs given to ammo drops. This makes the game a tad easier, removes a small layer of gameplay in the form of ammo conservation, but also there isn't an option to disable it and I don't think its the business of any re-release\port\remaster\whatever to fundamentally change the aspects of gameplay at all, and this includes the armor-mounted flashlight unless it would've been an option too. I think a great addition would be to make enabling certain features that bring back a more vanilla experience like a separate flashlight and bringing back cut sections of levels before starting a new game, but sadly I don't think that would ever happen.

And those are my thoughts. Overall I think its a great port and something I'll spend a lot of time with despite the flaws of the BFG Edition, unlike the Doom 1 and 2 ports. Panic Button showed they can make some great ports of games despite the necessary compromises, and I hope they broaden their horizons and port even more games to the Switch. I would love to play FEAR 1 on the go.

Edited by AdrenalinCDA

43 minutes ago, AdrenalinCDA said:

In terms of the actual graphics themselves, all the lighting and textures you come to expect from the original PC version is present and accounted for.

No way. Original Doom 3 was not ported to switch, it's BFG Edition. Even PC versions of original and BFG Edition have different lightning and textures. Also BFG Edition is easier than original because everything is brighter + flashlight is integrated in your armor (in original Doom 3 you hold it in hand). Also i have heard that BFG Edition has too much ammo in comparison to original.

8 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

No way. Original Doom 3 was not ported to switch, it's BFG Edition. Even PC versions of original and BFG Edition have different lightning and textures. Also BFG Edition is easier than original because everything is brighter + flashlight is integrated in your armor (in original Doom 3 you hold it in hand). Also i have heard that BFG Edition has too much ammo in comparison to original. 

I already covered the issues with the BFG Edition (something I acknowledged was flawed), including the flashlight. I am just saying technically its the same engine and at its best (when it is closer to vanilla Doom 3's lighting) it looks good. And textures were unchanged except for some character textures.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot, the ammo. I'll add that in. You may come off as pedantic but you've gave me an idea to expand on my post.

Edited by AdrenalinCDA