Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

Eternal TAS demos

Wow! It has been 10 years already since Andy's first TAS demos posted. Too bad not all maps have been being TASed so far.

I'll try to beat all unTASed maps and improve Andy's old demos. I don't know if the project will be finished in 2019, but let's try our best. Maps 2, 3, 23, 24 remaining.

Map 1 UV-Max in 2:30:

et01x230.zip

Edited by Dimon12321 : Dropped useless info

11 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Previous records were j4rio's 3:20 and Andy's 3:31 (TAS).

I'm pretty sure my demo is not a TAS. What's the point of lumping those together, let alone consider it a "previous record"?

13 hours ago, j4rio said:

I'm pretty sure my demo is not a TAS. What's the point of lumping those together, let alone consider it a "previous record"?

Oh, sorry! It turned out that it sounds ambiguous. Just to mention previous best runs because my demo comes as an improvement. I fixed my massage a little.

Edited by Dimon12321

On 7/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, Dimon12321 said:

I'll try to beat all unTASed maps and improve Andy's old demos. I don't know if the project will be finished in 2019, but let's try our best. Maps 2, 3, 23, 24 remaining.

There's also MAP16.

Good luck, I watched your struggle with Eviternity, and, what can I say, mistakes such as not paying attention to a secret not registering are part of the experience. It happened to me right at the start of my first built demo, and I realized that after I built a good portion of it... 

I didn't do MAP16 as I don't particularly like it, and MAP23/24 because I expected more pain than satisfaction. In both I expect way too many monsters wandering anywhere and this makes me feel I don't have full control. Maybe a more relaxed approach would help?

There's however a level I would TAS again one day, and that's MAP30. Too many incredible mistakes, plus I found a better route.

17 hours ago, vdgg said:

I didn't do MAP16 as I don't particularly like it, and MAP23/24 because I expected more pain than satisfaction. In both I expect way too many monsters wandering anywhere and this makes me feel I don't have full control. Maybe a more relaxed approach would help?

My recent Map 1 TAS fails at predicting monsters' routes though the map itself is not that complex. It would be great if we had a map where all monsters' positions, actions and angles are shown - than we could track possible improvements much easier. When a map is complex, there is no point in beating it frame-by-frame at once (especially, for UV-Max runs). There should be several attempts before the final movie submission.

Map 2 UV-Max in 3:44.

et02x344.zip

Other notable timings are Andy Olivera's 6:22 (TAS) and j4rio's 6:48 (RTA).

Edited by Dimon12321

1 hour ago, GrumpyCat said:

Very high quality, entertaining, pleasant to watch TASes, please keep up the good work!

I'm glad to hear this. There are 2 more Eternal maps that don't have a UV-MAX TAS. I'm planning to beat many popular WADs or at least touch them. You can find my wishlist on my profile page. My primary goals are: get a master degree, evade the army recruitment and get a proper job. Then I will spend more time TASing Doom.

Edited by Dimon12321

Map 23 UV-Max in 4:57

et23mx457.zip

One map remaining! Oh my God, Map 24 TAS was postponed twice before finally being lost. Nevertheless, I'm going to beat it and finish the project. 

Edited by Dimon12321

Map 24 UV-Max in 8:43

et24mx843.zip

I have a honor to inform you all that it was the last map in our project! Now all 32 maps in Eternal Doom have high-quality UV-Max TASes. All the TAS demos are recorded and collected in that YouTube playlist. Have a nice watch!

I'd like to thank:

@Andy Olivera - for initiating this project and beating the first 15 maps, as well as his giant effort in making UV-Max TAS movies;

@vdgg - for taking over the mantle and beating other 14 maps;

@j4rio - for his nerves of steel. He is a true Doom Tyson (he punched out all 32 maps, OMG);

together with 

@Searcher

@HavoX,

@GrumpyCat,

@Andromeda,

@SAV88,

@Grazza,

@JonaG,

@Man Q. Bus - for their positive feedback on my work.

This is the last major post in this thread, at least, for the nearest future, unless vdgg will post his improved TAS of Map 30 one day. So, please share you mind and memories, guys!

It's finally finished! Well done, vdgg and Dimon!

My very first Eternal TAS was created back in 2003. Took us long enough, didn't it? :-)

On 7/19/2020 at 7:21 PM, Andy Olivera said:

My very first Eternal TAS was created back in 2003. Took us long enough, didn't it? :-)

That was your magic December when you made first 3 maps. Looks like you was passing by, accidentally found Eternal Doom and tested it =)

It's kinda odd why you dropped it and revisited it in 2009. I guess Doom Replay Editor impressed you greatly because your 2009 was quite productive of TAS making: 5 Eternal maps and 5 Darkening Ep.2 maps.

Similar situation happened to vdgg when he took over the mantle in 2013. While surfing this thread, I was surprised about his 3-year break (2015 -> 2018). On the other hand, his 2018 was as productive as 2013.

What concerns me, I found your project by accident. Was surfing YouTube and found your Map 12 TAS which was recorded by @entryway. I had discovered Doom TASing 2 months before that. So, after I watched it, I was curious if there were more TASes of Eternal Doom. Doomworld's search brought me here and... I became the 3rd participant.

Since then I have grown a lot. Speed is a nice feature in UV-Max TASes, but aesthetics and smoothness are more appreciated by the audience. Maskim Xul's Map 2 TAS was the first one which changed my style. That's why my Maps 23-24 look different comparing to Maps 1-3 and 16.

I am so pleased with our UV-Max collection! However, we still have an unfinished UV-Speed TAS from 2004. I'm not sure if I'll have enough patience and power to beat 23 more maps for a D2ALL TAS, but I'll give it a try in 2021.

Edited by Dimon12321