Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: 2017 Collection

August, 2019

(Cool pic coming soon! I'm busy, sorry!)

> Download 2017 Collection
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboards:

Spoiler

Standard

1. [1] Survived [1:11:47] Bdubzzz - Sturdy stuff from the defending champion. As with last month, he sets the bar early.
  2. [1] Survived [1:41:23] antares031 - I, too, like to be invisible when I go skydiving.
  3. [2] Map05 Alfonzo - Never count your arch-viles before they burst into flames. I had this one in the bag, dag nabbit!
  4. [1] Map05 ReaperAA - Strong showing, with most of his time in the black. Sadly ran the soles off his rad boots before taking a dip in the lava.
  5. [1] Map02 Anima Zero - Demons don't usually set the alarm off, so I can understand standing contemplative before getting ripped to pieces.
  6. [1] Map01 NaZa - Pixel perfect Good At Doom. This is why the square is Doom's natural shape!
  7. [1] Map01 seed - Did most of the hard work in the baron scuffle before eating a tasty green snack.
  8. [1] Map01 Crusader No Regret - Welcome back! Those blue bottles aren't poisonous, you know. You can drink from them.
  9. [2] Map01 NoisyVelvet - Apparently, Punchline was the rule and not the exception.
  10. -

Prepared

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In August 2019, The Doomworld Ironman League dies to @an_mutt's 2017 Collection, a small episode of medium-sized levels borrowing heavily from the sorts of high concept design that defined much of the speed-mapping era in the middle part of the decade. But this, as mutt states explicitly in the text file, is not the result of any speed-mapping session. mutt's gothic bloodwerks are meticulously crafted and flush-looking layouts with wholesale elimination of weapons, throttling of ammunition, and a strong emphasis on situational awareness. A deep understanding of Doom's combat intricacies is required to keep pace with this unconventional set; and so I expect a great many unconventional deaths.

All eyes now turn to the Britbowl, wherein one able-bodied participant is probably crapping his daks, right about now.

Essential Info

• Doom 2 as the IWAD selected.
  • Compatibility level 9, or "(Boom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • 5 levels total (MAP06 has no exit)
  • Estimated 1 hour play time.
prboom-plus -file an17 -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4 -record dwironman...
Spoiler
  • There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of plays that are strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format). No pistol-starting.

• Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 

• No additional WADs may be loaded.

• No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.

• No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.

• If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on MAP01 of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.

• You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.

• You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.

• You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.

• If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.

• Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.

• If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
    2. This is not a blind run. I have played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
    3. This is not a blind run. I have watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)
The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)
The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)
Doom 64 for Doom 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
TNT: Renascence & Resistance (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Ultimate Doom The Way id Did (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Fomalhaut (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Stardate 20X6 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Come on you Brits! It's time to clean bowl mutt's title defense right in the PINS. Strike him down in his own alley!

Congratulations also to @Bdubzzz on his first DWIronman victory. Past results were a bit up and down but you've really come into your own this year. I hope you find some stiff competition in the months ahead! I plan to be there... eventually. The halcyon days of Insertion are a long time gone, now.

And welcome to our new members!

52 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

mutt's gothic bloodwerks are meticulously crafted and flush-looking layouts with wholesale elimination of weapons, throttling of ammunition, and a strong emphasis on situational awareness. A deep understanding of Doom's combat intricacies is required to keep pace with this unconventional set

Wonderful. Just wonderful. And I'm so good at Doom already ...

52 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

The Doomworld Ironman League dies to @an_mutt's 2017 Collection

Does this mark the beginning of a tour of Britbowlers creations? That would only be fair instead of giving 1 Britbowler a natural edge over the rest (for only 1 month, but still). Does this mean that the coming months will see selections like Eviternity, Deathless, and Nova III or Behemoth?

So this is brit time for rest of the year? 

Never heard of this mapset too...it's too hidden. Let's see how I'll go with this one.

Never heard of this wad. I wonder when I will stumble upon a familiar/cat2 wad.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Does this mark the beginning of a tour of Britbowlers creations? That would only be fair instead of giving 1 Britbowler a natural edge over the rest (for only 1 month, but still). Does this mean that the coming months will see selections like Eviternity, Deathless, and Nova III or Behemoth?

I so want this to happen.

I'm not really sure what I'm getting myself into but I'm going to give this a go for the sake of my brother. Out of moral support. And also an obligation to be his competitive sibling rival. In this household, one shot at Ironman League glory deserves another!

(I hope I properly understand and abide by the rules this time.)

Could it be...

Could ReaperAA actually survive another blind mapset like he did last time with Lunatic?

Spoiler

No not this time. But I died at map 5 and came within 100 monsters of surviving this wad.

And Holy Hell!!!. This is a pretty brutal no f*cks given type of wad. From the very first level, I was begging for ammo. Lots of fist fights in the first 2 levels. I have no idea how I even got to this point. Thus I am mostly satisfied with my performance despite how I died in the end.

Demo: an17demo.zip (category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 9)

Reached map 5 at around 1:03:00

Edited by ReaperAA

You know, someone oughta put together a youtube highlights reel of the best fails of ironman over the years.  I'm pretty sure several of my own fails would make it in, including the best way to handle a horde of bull demons on map 2...assuming you want your ass kicked by X and get a gold medal for your fail like I did.  I don't know if this is my best fail in an ironman of all time, but it's certainly top 5, heh.

First time ever playing this wad too.  Some very tight ammo counts in the first two maps that promote heavy usage of the berserk fist.  May have to check out the rest of the levels down the road.

DWIronman_an17_AnimaZero.zip

4 hours ago, Anima Zero said:

You know, someone oughta put together a youtube highlights reel of the best fails of ironman over the years

This is a very good idea. Eris was in the habit of making videos of the TNS events a few years back and I was going to recruit him at the end of 2016 to put together something like this, but it fell through. Perhaps now is the time! We needn't wait for an anniversary.

I distinctly remember Archi slipping off a rocky platform in Crusades as he was firing his RL and face-planting into an explosion for one of the best Ironman deaths that year. There's a treasure trove of footage out there! I just have to read the obituaries and pick out the best.

Last month I had quite the advantage having played vanguard a bunch so it was a good mapset to score a victory on. Also I think my skills in doom have improved a lot recently just from doing a lot more speedruns and playing TNS every Thursday... where as in 2018... I never played TNS/survival before? Cant remember lol

Category 1 Survived in 1:11:47 - played this one quite carefully, as you have to do with blind map sets or else your chances of survival are probably quite low, but with that said I think my time will be easy to beat for mutt if he survives his own wad ;p

Spoiler

If you aren't good at tyson.. better practice before doing an attempt :D I will say the mapset is quite generous in health and armor... you just have to at least manage your ammo but there is plenty of room to take a few rev fireballs to the face and not be screwed.

DWIronman-AN-dubz.zip

10 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Muahaha, good luck beating me, losers!

Challenge accepted.

23 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

All eyes now turn to the Britbowl

Speaking of the Britbowl, I don't recall seeing the standings in months. I know @Dragonfly makes the graphics by hand, and he's been rather busy lately (I mean, not busy enough to not stream 25+ days last month, but never mind that), so I'm not arguing for a new graphic. Just a list would be sufficient, for those of curious to the current standings.

And if the standings have been posted already and I just missed them ... then I'll fall back on citing my tremendous powers of observation.

3 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Speaking of the Britbowl, I don't recall seeing the standings in months. I know @Dragonfly makes the graphics by hand, and he's been rather busy lately (I mean, not busy enough to not stream 25+ days last month, but never mind that), so I'm not arguing for a new graphic. Just a list would be sufficient, for those of curious to the current standings.

The Britbowl standings pre-Sigil can be found here. Then just add points according to how they performed in Sigil and Lunatic/Vanguard months and u get the current Britbowl standings.

Category 1. Almost killed myself at the very beginning Survived in 1:41:23. I had only a few issues with this mapset, mostly with pain sectors and arch-vile ambushes. Other than that, it was pretty fun to play.

anta_ironman_an17.zip

21 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I can only produce these graphics while at work as I am a moron who still hasn't put the source files on my dropbox, heh. If I don't have too busy a day at work I'll try and get to it tomorrow.

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

dwironman_aug19_naza.zip

category 1

here's a prime candidate for "best deaths" contention

Edited by NaZa

18 minutes ago, seed said:

The Raw Power of the Rocket Launcher™ .

Rawcket Lawnchair.TM

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/463471348

(starts at 17:49 into the stream, since I do Ironeagle #10 first)

Category 1 run, died on map 4 to my old nemesis for the 585858th time. Was a fun mapset to then go on and finish from my Doom wad request list. I look forward to the creator's run later this month....

@Loud Silence Nice. Just for future reference and sorry for not putting this in the OP but if you could only use the latest stable build of Eternity and only when a vanilla set is selected (-complevel 2, 3) that would be great, thanks. That way I don't have to swap in a new engine just to play one demo and with the -vanilla parameter I can play it back in prboom/glboom+ for convenience.

That's okay! And yes, just for boom compatible stuff. Happy for you to keep using eternity in vanilla with the -vanilla parameter set. All good :)

I'm really enjoying watching these runs so far. I was concerned that the quirky design would hamstring too many of the regulars too early in the set but everyone is giving it a fair go. Imagine if @Suitepee died to that revenant at the start, though... my word. 10 health, was it?

Looking forward to the rest. I'm oddly giddy about this one!