Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xindage

Phase 1 Ch 2 > Dev Thread (Bonus Map11)

well just to explain my lack of action in mapping its the same reason of aways, no motivation for it, so when i gto up again i'll do my mapping section again, for now i want to set up few things.

i'm czar hare but this dont mean you cannot edit or create a map for episode yourself, but i'll set some simple "rules" there you're not forced to follow anyway but its for flow purposes, your map must be 10-15% harder than the slot behind and near 10% more time consuming to speedrun so the episode can get some flow, for now only it.

See you guys soon.

Here i'm again, and the expanded version of E2M1 is here: http://www.geocities.ws/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDoom1/e2m1_p3.wad

E2_M1_MAP.png

Edit: I unfortunately forget to fix few things in the DM areas, they have been fixed there's also very small changes around the coop area, and it's the final version.

Waiting you guys just to test this and see if the dificult is cool and if something is wrong in the map. i have played in all skills and i can normaly get 100% run in all.

Edited by Xindage

I just tested your map, it's pretty cool. I couldn't run it in chocolate doom however, it is missing the texture pbrik18. The other problem I found was in sector 424 the player takes damage, but shouldn't.

sorry for my hiatus guys i have been busy irl and well it make my live a real mess anyway i get my mind back on this game and well time to keep going, here's a edit in e2m1 again, this time i was lazy to set screenshot but i added 2 demos inside the wad, one showing just a fast gameplay on map beating it, and the second is a more complete gameplay showing the secrets on way, i  hope you guys enjoy this version and tell me what you guys think. note: To play the demo just run it on vanilla or prboom and let the demos play by itself.

e2m1_p4.7z

I have liked it, it does feature a very proper usage of Aquatex textures, without spamming them in the style of a certain map, where they are used just for the sake of using them.

Bugs / suggestions:

There are two glued serpentipedes (things 333 and 334).

Thing 97 should be tagged as multiplayer-only.

The very first pistol zombie seems totally unnecessary and useless, I would remove him (it?).

Hidding every linedef of deathmatch-only zones makes no sense to me.

There are multiple instances of miniguns and shotguns for each skill level of single-player mode. That seems somewhat redundant and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Edit:

Glaice aka Mr. Chris was willing to donate an incomplete map of him in the style of corrupted tech base, just in case you are interested in filling it with things to replace some map of your episode.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1123111

http://www.mediafire.com/?y8bdbjz6l7l94wd

Edited by DoomeroHispalense

"There are two glued serpentipedes (things 333 and 334)."

> I'm gonna look on it, ty for things id.
"Thing 97 should be tagged as multiplayer-only."
> Ok
"The very first pistol zombie seems totally unnecessary and useless, I would remove him (it?)."
> D:
"Hidding every linedef of deathmatch-only zones makes no sense to me."
> Getting full map and later seen that you cant reach lot of places, dont seens good, also in dm players never use map.
"There are multiple instances of miniguns and shotguns for each skill level of single-player mode. That seems somewhat redundant and unnecessary, in my opinion."
> The multiples intances of shotgun was intentional, now the chaingun i'll have to fix.
"Glaice aka Mr. Chris was willing to donate an incomplete map of him in the style of corrupted tech base, just in case you are interested in filling it with things to replace some map of your episode."
> Gonna look on it.

ok i have apllied the fixes but i'll not release it right now, intead i got a new idea, i'll move this map to e2m(3-5) since the dificult of the map is getting higher since i have expanded it lot, so my plan on this map now is merge both dm and coop areas in one, this is going to make the map way bigger and to confortate it i'll move it from slot, also few maps around 5-7 is a good candidate for a starting map because it's very small, i'll just have to rebalance the monsters placement, so expect the next version of e1m1 to be more harder and big.

man i've been so much off from this game for a long time, but well i'm not really doing nothing, i'm just being lazy busy with stuffs, but i'm doing thigs, bit a bit, maybe I'll reach an end on them in some days, or weeks, i'm slowly pogressing in editing map11 and e2m1 (that i'm sure that i'll have to move somewhere else by being too big right now.

Map11:
image.png.26a791b31c483b9e4e71a6f8aaceeaed.png

As you can see there's a big new arena in the right side, i was testing an new challenge but it turned out bad but i got a diferent idea to actually aplly it in other place,
I heavy changed the dificult skills of this map, and worked a lot in multiplayer monsters only, so expect extra enemys in all skills when multiplayer, But in a fair way, except one random cyberdemon on medium and hard not sure if i remove him.

i made kinda more interesting the upper side by aways keeping the player under action, ever when going back to the others doors in a nutsheel the upperside is even harder on hard skill and more easy on easy.
The spidermastermind is going to be replaced by that my new test challenge, hehehe time for some map07 reprise from my old wad that i posted around, why not. ;P

E2MX - I'll switch this map from slot, it's way too hard for a first episode mapimage.png.d0521bf8c866091dd46d595c6f6a1d30.png.

You start on that arrow, do the way out until the red cross where i plan to be the exit but before you're finishing you have to go on that A point that in same time that's the place that you can use to backtrack to the start of the map, man what a work.
Still much in plan but i managed to the dm area be an part of the main course of the map in coop not all actually but most, so the path to the ending in semi-non linear but still good.
Right now i still dont mainted the skills on the new area that is open, has you can see they're empty yet, so it has work to do in almost everywhere, but i'll keep the one that i did when i started this map.

Well for now that's what I have to update you guys, see you soons and thanks for the patience.

Quick post progress & plans:
Right, I've been doing the work on the map from where i left, and them here's the plan:
image.png.8fed167852996ff3c23117b4168edd8b.png

After reaching the A point (the old exit point) The path to B will be opened, from there you go to C I'll have some good combat there to use a switch to open the new exit area in D also in C you can go to E and reach the starting of the map area F and i'll move the starting point to G and I'll do some rework in the starting area too.
Here goes few screenshots of the new areas.
Screenshot_Doom_20190620_215053.png.960c090c2e1815257fb26ccce4c62078.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190620_215102.png.931e75f6dc59051320e145fd96698aeb.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190620_215156.png.631930996846f0889bd74308ed1570d8.png

map11 fixes, yay! was looking for a place to post lots of angry complaints about several Freedoom maps, but here you are, redoing the map i had the most complaints about! :D

the actual state of map11 is a mix of my beta whit a work of some menber around, this map was supposed to be already removed, for being too similar to doom2's one.

My first try was trying to actually make it look less the original doom2, so i make it look a little more plutonia whit new theme, layout and gameplay, my actual version is playable and it's possible to 100% run if you wanna try it for me.

I just dont released it because i'm not yet ok with the map, the last battle is just a huge let down yet, while in all other sides you're challenged by something cool, in the last arena, meh...

I'm targeting to finish E2Mx first and them go back to map11. so it'll take time.

7 hours ago, Violetnred said:

map11 fixes, yay! was looking for a place to post lots of angry complaints about several Freedoom maps, but here you are, redoing the map i had the most complaints about! :D

Dont be affraid of doing it, actually I encourage you to do it, criticism is what helps this improve.
If ou have anything to say about episode 2 too fell free to comment here.

i'm mostly upset with multiplayer-only or even completely unreachable items, but there's also a problem of having seemingly pointless triggers and, sometimes, secret switches on massive maps that opens something obscure on the other end of a map. map11 has all of this: items in clear views that can't be reached by any means, key doors that won't open, movable monster closet and activable dead end squisher that seemingly has no purpose, large detailed areas that looks like they could be reached, but they actually couldn't.

i think Phase 1 E2 also had some repurposed multiplayer maps? where there were detailed, but unreachable areas. 

3 hours ago, Violetnred said:

where there were detailed, but unreachable areas. 

Heretic community chest, Curse of d'sparil, Hell revealed, Equinox, Back to saturn x 1 and 2, uac ultra 2, plutonia 1 and 2, going down, dynamite dm, well it's not so uncommon i think.

i'm mostly upset with multiplayer-only or even completely unreachable items.

Quake 2 if you're very good in glitching you can reach place that was supposed to be avaliable just in dm and ever caught an ealry gun.

I just do it in my map becuase i want it to be interesting in dm and dont be so unbalanced too.

movable monster closet and activable dead end squisher that seemingly has no purpose.

It has on easy skill, it crusher few barrels, making the monsters "weak"in easy skill.

i think Phase 1 E2 also had some repurposed multiplayer maps? where there were detailed, but unreachable areas. 

Dm Closets is going to still exist due I making all areas playable, I need to balance the dm gameplay too. e2m3 is great example of it, the map slight changes to accomodate dm gameplay but it dont have so much unreachable areas.

erm... i'm trying to say that all of this interferes with secret hunting - a lot of time is being spent hunting for secrets in areas that don't have any accessible. also, it seems two secrets on this map are unreachable in singlepalyer. sure, none of this matter if a player just wants to get throguh the map, but it feels bad otherwise - wasting time on nonexistent secrets and trying to figure out if this is another trolly map with one-off secret triggers or timed door walls two rooms away from a hidden switch.

i'm sure the e2m1 is not like this, aways before releasing a map i do 2 demos, a normal demo run whitout spoilers and a full demo run 100% everything as proof of gameplay, only map11 got released whitout my testing, like i told it was my wip that someone finished.

Anyway progress shots from e2m1, just need monster placement here and some detail works in outside:
image.png.283f936e644347b662b46e999173efa8.png

image.png.dc79701b5b8cf010e4f4258303f508a6.png

about the dificult i'm sure now, i'll move this map to e2m3 or 4 but now i'm thinking something else, what about making this map non linear?
Player can choose any path and have to find the three keys to unlock the final door, or keep it linear?

Actual linear pogression (there's no way to avoid this path):
image.png.d941d11595c6a3e02b09c32b84a90430.png

More work on the outside area after the red switch location, it's brand new heh. (ignore the item placement, I'm just working on the layout of the map right, we have objects ever inside the void right now, i'll fix it before releasing.)

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190706_104122.png.02accd0124c61c4bc5887600877ad824.png
Screenshot_Doom_20190706_103939.png.6fdacdab03dc4d048de74a0539c8fcc0.png

And the old version to comparison:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190706_104549.png.163763a24080d99e8fc889243f61e54f.png

more works, now in the starting area, since this map is supposed now to be moved to another slot, this map now has a starting portal.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190708_001258.png.ad5840bf89b9f4f708af0234f4d00aaa.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190708_001219.png.2a787c97565b1f3cd47bf6c0fad852fe.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190708_001210.png.7c38583d37f7f09454841cd926914a92.png

So what you guys are thinking about this theme? It's a good theme for a starting slots of episode 2? i'm planning to move this map to like e2m3 or 4 since it'll have some more complex navigation and complexes combats. it's almost complete, there's just 2 places to rework before launching a test candidate.

I've found a donated unused map around this forum: Hell outpost and i'm planning to edit it to fit it on e2m2 and i'll start to move the maps around.
And I've been planning this arsenal for episode 2, based on each map, i'm using the default doom name for comparison.
image.png.971612a3eb580fb63d0e9a615b427eb6.png
S - Means Secret
X - Avaliable normaly.

You guys have anything to suggest?

I'm still progressing,map is now actually beatable from the begging to the exit, there's still some missing monsters placement oncertain areas and few empty areas, well i'm still trying to balance the things out, i just bumped into... a issue with an massive amount of linedefs...

Spoiler

image.png.a1ec4e50e94f95e20b4da39d04b20ebc.png

As you can see up there it's almost solved, except in the starting area, but fortunately there's not visplane overflow, just excess of lines, so i'm slowly solving this, laout was altered to help so, you guys can expect an new map soon.

Ok the map is done, you guys can test or watch the in build demo1 from the wad, it's 12 minute longer of gameplay whitout spoilers of secrets, so you can expect that this map is big and non-linear. Jump and crouch is free to be used, it wont glitch the map so fell free to use if you want, it's not requiried to finish the map anyway.

Spoiler

image.png.d10f8aa842f93c65c0a44fbc4873cc23.png

The wad is on the attachments, technicaly it's on e2m1 but it'll be e2m4 later on. (To run the demo use prboom or chocolate doom)
Any feedback is apreciated.

e2m1_p5.zip

Edit: I'm already aware of certains bugs like:
Crash in yellow key trap, seens like a bug with middle fake texture causing a crash in vannila engine.
There's a random tutti frutti in a stair case on a optional upper path.
No Dm spots are avaliable yet.

All will be fixed on a next version, please use boom or an advanced engine to test the map. (boom with -complevel 2 or 3 is fine too)

Edited by Xindage

Just tested it on Crispy Doom, Bring on the Pain difficulty, no jumping, no freelook, keyboard only. I didn't have any problem nor could find any bug. The map is fairly big but easy to navigate. I'll test it using Zandronum later, I'll play all the skill levels to see what I can find.

I finished testing the map, using Zandronum this time. 100% kills, 100% items, missed 1 secret. Died once, didn't save. I played all the skill levels one by one and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Sorry for not finding any bugs :P

As for the map itself, I liked it, I would remove a tiny bit of hitscanners but it's fine like it is right now, so feel free to ignore this if you want. Just a question, is one of the doors merely for decoration or is it supossed to be opened?

Thanks for mentioning the door, I was about to remove that door, but somehow I forget about it, I'll deal with that next version.
So you said about the zandronum play, did you tried to use jumping so everything was normal?

That door had me confused. Anyways, because the map didn't require jumping, I didn't jump a lot. I don't think a saw anything abnormal but I'll play it again, jumping everywhere this time and I'll let you know if I find something.

Well, I jumped on everything this time, on barrels, on "boxes", I tried to get stuck, I went into the small crawl space near a switch. It didn't affect the playthrough that much, the gap in the second floor is easy to clear, it's easier to avoid the nukage with jumping enabled, the map secret is a little bit easier to find.

I think you theoretically could reach the blue key if a monster were to stay close to the ledge and you jumped on the monster and then to the blue key, but I doubt any monster would be friendly enough to allow this while playing normally, unless you're really fast.

Need me to test anything else?

15 hours ago, The Maverick013 said:

I think you theoretically could reach the blue key if a monster were to stay close to the ledge and you jumped on the monster and then to the blue key, but I doubt any monster would be friendly enough to allow this while playing normally, unless you're really fast.

Nah, even if you fly cheat it wont work, I was already aware about it, there's intentional non textured floor blocking the key if you try to jump in any monster head and them going there, you're still unable to pick the key, the only way to release the key is going thru the green door, it's the only way to free the key.

Edit: I just need to finish adding the dm areas and placing the last secret that i've planned to do and i'll realease a proper Final version.