Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DustFalcon85

Doom 64 coming to PC and modern consoles?

I'll try not to derail the topic too much, but if you don't like the N64 controller, the Brawler64 controller is much nicer (particularly the thumbstick). Set the turning on the joystick and the movement on the c-buttons and it's almost has good as twin stick! Although nothing is as good as the mouse/key on the PC ports to be fair.

Just now, Kryt1caL said:

Any info for release? I cant wait to Play it on my switch. 

It's not yet confirmed to exist.

17 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I'll try not to derail the topic too much, but if you don't like the N64 controller, the Brawler64 controller is much nicer (particularly the thumbstick). Set the turning on the joystick and the movement on the c-buttons and it's almost has good as twin stick! Although nothing is as good as the mouse/key on the PC ports to be fair.

Thanks for the heads up , didnt know that controller existed. I'll definitely try that out if this PS4 port fails to

show up.

Bethesda will find some way to screw up the game, gez hit the nail on the head. I have no faith in them staying faithful to the original. Whether it be requiring a Bethesda account to play, censoring graphics, different engines (which in turn causes other problems as seen in the switch titles), etc.

Fact of the matter is Doom 64 has already been ported to PC in several different ways, all of which are very good despite the differences between the releases. This is nothing more than Bethesda looking for more easy cash (and I expect the Playstation titles to come next).

As for said ports, I would imagine Bethesda is going to try and have them taken down unfortunately. This is really reminding me how smart I was keeping my N64 and all the games including Doom 64.

6 hours ago, jdagenet said:

Whether it be requiring a Bethesda account to play

That was just an accidental fuck up related to the Slayer's Club and they are/have fixed it.

17 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

That was just an accidental fuck up related to the Slayer's Club and they are/have fixed it.

It was not "accidental". Bethesda just wants us to believe that.

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Indeed. With the sudden delisting of old versions of Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 from old consoles that wouldnt even hurt the sales of the new ones, goin so far as to remove the XBLA ports from the download lists for those that purchased them, and the fact that Zenimax is a notorious 'not your friend' kind of company, mixed with all the dumb shit Bethesda has been doing, there is no possible way its a 'mistake'. Companies are constantly pushing for always-online DRM.

8 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Okay, I've seen the login screen since making this comment and yeah, their statement about it being a mistake was complete bullshit.

I fear that Doom64ex might be taken down for copyright (even though you need the rom to run it) and then a day later Bethesda puts up their release. It could go either:

A. Its in the Engine that doom64 ex ran in. (and possibly have DRM slapped onto it) 

B. For the switch its just a Virtural Console port of it. 

For now im just gonna backup D64EX and the remakes somewhere just in case the worst comes to worst. 

as much as I like D64 ex, I kind of wish it had an option to use Cage's Extra reload frames that mimic the style of Doom 1/2 the way the ssg and shotguns reload always looked... off, the other weapons there were excellent tho!

also I backed up d64ex on my dropbox, what goes on there stays on there. heh

On 8/3/2019 at 6:23 PM, DoomedFox said:

I fear that Doom64ex might be taken down for copyright (even though you need the rom to run it) and then a day later Bethesda puts up their release. It could go either:

A. Its in the Engine that doom64 ex ran in. (and possibly have DRM slapped onto it) 

B. For the switch its just a Virtural Console port of it. 

For now im just gonna backup D64EX and the remakes somewhere just in case the worst comes to worst. 

It won't be a "Virtual Console" release as Nintendo isn't doing Virtual Console on the Switch. It would be more like the port of Turok for the Switch.

Obviously this didn’t get announced at QuakeCon, but if PEGI rated it there’s gotta be something going on, it would be really cool if this were true, as the N64 is a pain in the butt to set up and as cool as EX is, I just don’t like to game on PCs these days since I work on one all day. D64 was a pretty cool game which I enjoyed a lot back then, even though some of the levels are damn confusing. I would really like to see hat game reach a new audience and be immortalised.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, FreakZoneGames said:

the N64 is a pain in the butt to set up

Son, let me tell you about the good ol' days where you had to screw an RF modulator in and hope there wasn't too much interference on Channel 3 or 4.

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Son, let me tell you about the good ol' days where you had to screw an RF modulator in and hope there wasn't too much interference on Channel 3 or 4.

Yes I was around and playing N64 then, I am 33 😜 I’m saying it’s a pain to set up on a modern TV.

4 hours ago, FreakZoneGames said:

Yes I was around and playing N64 then, I am 33 😜 I’m saying it’s a pain to set up on a modern TV.

Most TVs still come with RCA jack inputs, don't they?

Most do have RF because it's still used for digital TV for non-satellite users. Tuning's a bit more awkward though and nobody wants to look at an N64 over RC on a modern-sized 4K TV, that stuff looks horrific. A step up from that is AV/Composite, which most modern TVs don't have, and even when they do (or you use a converter) it looks pretty awful. At the very least you want SCART (uncommon in the US) or S-Video, both of which tend to no longer appear as inputs in modern TVs. So you could get an adaptor, sure, but those tend to introduce lag from the upscaling, or you could go for a Framemeister or OSSC, which are both expensive and take up another power outlet, and since an unmoved N64 doesn't output RGB, even those won't be able to do much with the signal. There's the option for the N64 HDMI mod, once again it's expensive, and it's still a low res signal. I don't think it's a stretch to say a re-release of the game would be more convenient :P

Companies re-releasing care not about convenience for a 23 year-old game, they care about if the sales will make back costs incurred (porting, licensing as necessary from whoever holds the rights, etc.)

If they can't, you won't see it, and so homebrew ports would be the only way to go.

After all, it's not like you couldn't port GZDoom to the Switch. It's got hardware more than capable enough. But it was quicker to wrap the game data in Unity for a close-enough approximation.

I'm still curious to see what will happen, especially as Doom 64 did some unique tricks. It was the most complicated officially-released Doom engine, and who has the rights now is a serious question with Midway going under about a decade ago.

In this case it'd only make sense if they used the Doom64EX port - using the original N64 code and porting that to modern Windows is going to be a costly and painful experience because the systems are too different. We'll see what they do, if they are smart they use what they can get - otherwise the release won't be great.

On vendredi 2 août 2019 at 11:32 PM, LadyVader1138 said:

Okay, I've seen the login screen since making this comment and yeah, their statement about it being a mistake was complete bullshit.

They never said it was a mistake, or accidental. They only said (paraphrasing for brevity) "The login is mandatory. It should be optional. This will be patched."

So you're likely to infer that it was accidental or a mistake, but they never explicitly said so; they only acknowledged that people want it to be optional.

17 minutes ago, Gez said:

They never said it was a mistake, or accidental. They only said (paraphrasing for brevity) "The login is mandatory. It should be optional. This will be patched."

So you're likely to infer that it was accidental or a mistake, but they never explicitly said so; they only acknowledged that people want it to be optional.

Hmm...that is clever wording then.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:15 PM, FreakZoneGames said:

Most do have RF because it's still used for digital TV for non-satellite users. Tuning's a bit more awkward though and nobody wants to look at an N64 over RC on a modern-sized 4K TV, that stuff looks horrific. A step up from that is AV/Composite, which most modern TVs don't have, and even when they do (or you use a converter) it looks pretty awful. At the very least you want SCART (uncommon in the US) or S-Video, both of which tend to no longer appear as inputs in modern TVs. So you could get an adaptor, sure, but those tend to introduce lag from the upscaling, or you could go for a Framemeister or OSSC, which are both expensive and take up another power outlet, and since an unmoved N64 doesn't output RGB, even those won't be able to do much with the signal. There's the option for the N64 HDMI mod, once again it's expensive, and it's still a low res signal. I don't think it's a stretch to say a re-release of the game would be more convenient :P

What kills me is that here in Europe, they ditched both SCART and RGB Component but still ship sets with RCA inputs. Granted, SCART and RGB are no use for a stock N64, but still.

For an unmodified N64, a RetroTink should do the job. It's cheaper than the OSSC, although still pretty hefty.

If you can find them, the N64 looks pretty good on late-generation HD plasma screens through the analog RCA connection. At least it looks pretty good on my Hitachi HD 1080 and I have heard others say the N64 looks good on their plasma screens too. I think the specs of my Hitachi outright lied on its color depth (I got it for a great deal used, so no biggie) but the blacks are pretty good and I haven't noticed any input lag.

21 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

In this case it'd only make sense if they used the Doom64EX port - using the original N64 code and porting that to modern Windows is going to be a costly and painful experience because the systems are too different. We'll see what they do, if they are smart they use what they can get - otherwise the release won't be great.

This is pretty likely. The creator of D64EX also created the Turok remasters, apparently based on Turok EX which he was working on before, reverse engineered in the same way. So if this rating is for a real release, then pretty much just expect a licensed commercial release of Doom 64 EX.

8 hours ago, scalliano said:

Granted, SCART and RGB are no use for a stock N64, but still. 

Why are they of no use? I do own both a stock N64 with SCART output and a TV with SCART input.

That's what I've always used here in Europe back in the day for N64 and even for my old SNES I used SCART, I didn't have any issues.

The original box usually contained a SCART cable or at least an RGB to SCART converter. At least here in Europe.

Edited by Ferk