Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeterMoro

John Carmack on the Joe Rogan show - it happened!

6 hours ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Okay, let me correct my statement: I wouldn't want to talk to him.

Everything I've seen of Joe Rogan tells me that he's an interesting, smart, knowledgeable guy. Why don't you like him? (Just curious).

I'm really looking forward to this interview!

On 8/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, Maximum Matt said:

He plays strictly ITYTD in God mode, all weapons and keys, and with the light amp goggles cheat. And all the lights on in his house.

This made me proper laugh.

Can you imagine if he actually did. 😂

3 hours ago, kb1 said:

Everything I've seen of Joe Rogan tells me that he's an interesting, smart, knowledgeable guy. Why don't you like him? (Just curious).

He thinks he's a trans ally yet says transphobic stuff, mostly of the "I support trans people, BUT..." variety. That's why.

(Bracing for reactions)

Edited by LadyVader1138

48 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

He thinks he's a trans ally yet says transphobic stuff, mostly of the "I support trans people, BUT..." variety. That's why.

(Bracing for reactions)

I'm guessing there's a bunch of edited clips out there that distort his position, which would be easy to do as he spends a lot of time doing parody/mockery. Afaik his actual position is pro-trans with the exception of sport.

1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

(Bracing for reactions)

Very progressive of you to make a simplified conclusion where you put someone in a box and assume to know their thoughts, and then refuse the idea to converse with them or listen to anything they have to say on any or all topics. The world needs more of this. It's indeed very progressive, courageous and politically correct.

As for the topic, this should be interesting, I rarely miss an episode of the podcast and this will certainly not be one.

1 hour ago, LadyVader1138 said:

(Bracing for reactions)

Care to point to a couple examples?

Okay, I really don't feel like having to defend my position on this, simply cause I'm tired of having to defend myself on the general subject all the damn time.

I only know Joe Rogan from his UFC days where he was intelligent about MMA and his News Radio days where he was the show's idiot character. Is he some sort of pseudo-intellectual that sounds really smart to dumb people who parrot one another, because they're into the same things or is he actually smart?

5 minutes ago, geo said:

I only know Joe Rogan from his UFC days where he was intelligent about MMA and his News Radio days where he was the show's idiot character. Is he some sort of pseudo-intellectual that sounds really smart to dumb people who parrot one another, because they're into the same things or is he actually smart?

he's a pseudo-intellectual, and doesn't claim to be otherwise, which is the whole reason why he has experts come on as guests to dispel misconceptions etc. He is an expert with regards to martial arts, and extremely knowledgeable about health and nutrition.

11 minutes ago, geo said:

From the few podcasts I've seen, he's very open to lots of ideas and views and gives the guest more than enough time to speak, something you can't say about a number of talk show hosts.

There's also been a number of times he will have a view on something, a guest will come in to challenge it, and he'll be more open. Whether he does this just to appease the guest or actually is open I can't tell.

One thing I can say is he's a pretty good host.

19 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Okay, I really don't feel like having to defend my position on this, simply cause I'm tired of having to defend myself on the general subject all the damn time.

You brought it up and clearly have a strong opinion about it, don't just back down.

3 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

You brought it up and clearly have a strong opinion about it, don't just back down.

You try dealing with cis people 24/7 and being told to kill yourself for being you.

1 minute ago, LadyVader1138 said:

You try dealing with cis people 24/7 and being told to kill yourself for being you.

You and every other Doomer are welcome here. We only kill space demons from hell. * hugs *

Rogan doesn't have to the outwardly transphobic to be the transphobe's mouthpiece. This article goes into further detail but the td;dr of it is that he's more of a lazy enabler who allows his guests to ramble on for long chunks of time relatively unopposed, thus giving free airtime to extreme and/or misguided viewpoints. 

If you like Joe or not the point is he's got a hell of a podcast and Carmack will be on as a guest soon. Surly to us DOOM fans what should be important is what will be spoken about and NOT if the host likes LGBTQ people or not. Sorry if that offends but I thought especially here , people wouldn't be sucked down the same rabbit hole the rest of the internet does.

I'm curious as to what the opening conversation will be about ,his beginnings or what he's currently doing?. Sometimes though I've seen guests go on his show and talk about absolutely anything and everything even if its completely unrelated to their professions. 

23 minutes ago, geo said:

You and every other Doomer are welcome here. We only kill space demons from hell. * hugs *

Thank you. That means a lot. [hugs back]

20 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Rogan doesn't have to the outwardly transphobic to be the transphobe's mouthpiece. This article goes into further detail but the td;dr of it is that he's more of a lazy enabler who allows his guests to ramble on for long chunks of time relatively unopposed, thus giving free airtime to extreme and/or misguided viewpoints.

THIS. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Surly to us DOOM fans what should be important is what will be spoken about and NOT if the host likes LGBTQ people or not. Sorry if that offends but I thought especially here , people wouldn't be sucked down the same rabbit hole the rest of the internet does.

You don't get to make that distinction, we do. I can choose not to watch something on any criteria I feel is important. 

7 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

If you like Joe or not the point is he's got a hell of a podcast and Carmack will be on as a guest soon. Surly to us DOOM fans what should be important is what will be spoken about and NOT if the host likes LGBTQ people or not. Sorry if that offends but I thought especially here , people wouldn't be sucked down the same rabbit hole the rest of the internet does.

Yeah, again, you try living in a world where people want you and people you care about dead for being ourselves.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

You don't get to make that distinction, we do. I can choose not to watch something on any criteria I feel is important. 

Yes you can and that's fine, though that wasn't the point I was making. 

6 minutes ago, LadyVader1138 said:

Yeah, again, you try living in a world where people want you and people you care about dead for being ourselves.

That's why DoomWORLD is a different type of planet. We only care about Doom. Everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, but it's Doom that brings us to this world out of all the other planets in the universe.

I can do a TLDR for those that don't want to watch it.

I'll include a timestamp for how long it takes until Rogan starts talking about how he used to play Quake 1 religiously.

Someone should post the video when it happens. I like watching from the start. As all of you should too.

Tho some should, like wheresthebeef mentioned, put timestamps for various subjects of interest, like id software, Doom, Quake, etc.

I agree with @LadyVader1138 and @Mr. Freeze. I can't explain why I hold conflicting opinions like this, but I like Joe and the podcast episodes I've heard, but agree he enables opinions that I hate.

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I listened all the way through the Elon episode, and think it helped to knock Elon down a few pegs, to those who listened all the way through. Joe would be like "this conversation is way over my head, dude" and I wanted to reach through the speaker and shake Joe like "you may not be the smartest person ever but you can tell this is BS!"

But of course it just became "lol he did weed!"

Before this topic gets way out of hand, I am looking forward to listening to John Carmack talk.  Beyond DOOM and Quake he has a lot to talk about that I want to listen to.  Between aerospace and VR, he's still a crazy smart guy and it's going to be a lot of fun.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, geo said:

That's why DoomWORLD is a different type of planet. We only care about Doom. Everyone has their own opinions and beliefs, but it's Doom that brings us to this world out of all the other planets in the universe.

Just make sure you don't accidentally let in any Cyberdemons to this planet when you come here.  Closing portals to Hell can be exhausting.  (joking)

Really cool!

In which projects is he involved? As much as I love John Carmack I haven't kept track of what he's been up to apart from the Oculus Rift or VR in general. Some comments on this thread mention Quake (I guess a new one? or the RTX one? I don't know). Is he related to it? (Obviously speaking to the new one, if that's the case) Or just talk about his opinion on the new one?

I also wonder if he keeps playing Dungeons and Dragons from time to time.