Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

This is a bit of a test, but I spent a little time converting Fraggle's Vanilla Smooth Weapons version of Perkristian's Smooth Weapons for use with the Neural upscale. It's a bit muddled because the tween frames are no where NEAR as sharp as the work output by the ai in this project... but it's serviceable. Ideally if the tweens were put through the same process, it would look really good so I wanted to have a framework in place in case that ever happened. If you load this after the neural file it will incorporate a "high res" version of the vanilla smooth weapons (alternatively, you can load this file independent of the neural upscale... but why?). Here's what's finished... Fist/Chainsaw/Pistol/Rawcat/BFG ... the other weapons are functionally HD... but some of the frames really suffer from poor upscaling (looking at you chaingun).

NeuralUpscale2x Smooth Weapons

Right now I'm working on merging the minor spritefix with this project so demon are properly mirrored and have the proper buffer empty spaces (Spider/Arach)... it' snot hard... just time consuming to paste the frames.

I also updated the "missing files" zip in my previous post. I removed frames that no longer need to be upscaled.

Edited by Scuba Steve

Thanks for doing all this, the Neural Upscale is awesome as it is, yet still a bit incomplete. Slowly but surely this is getting more and more amazing.

OK... This took me weeks, but I'm finally done with the most arduous task... converting hidfan's neural upscale with the Minor Spritefix Project. In order to make the project work, I had to include the original spritefix sprites into the wad... and I was really hesitant to bloat the upscale pk3 with actual copies of id's intellectual property. Thanks to @fraggle who wrote a batch command to help, I was able to incorporate all the needed doom sprites as empty images with the correct dimensions and offsets.

Download it here: NeuralUpscale Minor Spritefix

Some of the sprite fixes were not needed since the upscaling process eliminated mistakes inherent in the original sprites, but all the offset repairs have been corrected in the neural upscale as well as other cosmetic fixes. Everything is there except for a couple things... proper rotational frames for the trooper/sarge/player/imp that were released by Romero a couple years ago... they were never upscaled using the same technique so they cannot be incorporated into the minor spritefixes. If @hidfan is ever able to upscale the missing sprites in this thread we'll have a completely repaired HD Doom.

Edit: 8/4/19 (4/8/19 for the rest of you) - Completely rebuilt the imp rotations... the upscaled imp is the worst looking hires monster in the entire game because it was hand drawn and the ai isn't good at imagining extra detail, but I was able to use a method similar to get something that looks like the other imp frames. Report any further sprite flickering or glitches.

Edited by Scuba Steve

Yes. I will try it without texture filtering now (this is a basic, mostly unchanged GZDoom config)

And yeah I tried to load up Doom 1 first and it failed, but I'd just assumed it was outside the scope for the time being.

edit: I just tried it with Texture Filtering turned off, and it looks the same aside from seeing pixels up close, so I turned Trilinear back on.

Edited by DuckReconMajor

1960451822_PosePractice.png.7c18094c2515d9edbfc8652bb16dcfac.png

Wait a minute? @hidfan has a file called "missing frames" already in their directory! The player/trooper/sarge all have complete rotational frames. Using them, I reverse engineered the photoshop process and produced the sample above. The only missing frames are the imp attack.

I used the original raw upscaled spritesheets in the folders to rebuild all the rotational frames for the player, trooper, and sergeant. Unfortunately there are no rotational frames for the imp so it's going to take me a bit longer to completely rebuild them using the same process as the original upscales. My main problem is that I can't use the Nvidia ai upscaler unless I have permission to use it by requesting access to the beta... and I doubt a teacher from Minnesota with a hobby in modding a 25 year old game counts...

You might just try it, since HIDfan also has no industry background, I think and got access. Although, I also applied for this and never got a reply from Nvidia. T_T

Will this eventually include the full rotation sprites for all the vanilla monsters?

Edit 2 minutes later:

Don't listen to me, I didn't read. XD

DONE! I recreated the imp rotational frames. Since I don't have access to the Nvidia tech, I had to make do with a few other upscaling techs and find a workaround, but I managed to create something that looks remarkably similar to the other imp frames @hidfan upscaled. I was fortunate that the imp was hand drawn and looks like complete garbage in the first place so it was easier to recreate the existing frames because they too are poor.

The file in my post above is now a COMPLETE version of the Minor Spritefix project with the neural upscaled sprites.

2 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

DONE!

You're doing God's work Steve! Thank you for persevering with it all! The Minor Sprite Fixing Project is the only essential mod in my eyes, so making it compatible is absolutely fantastic. 

4 hours ago, RetroWolf92 said:

I'll be all over this mod as soon as it includes all the full rotations, but that will be a while I'm sure! :3

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

One of the minor spritefix corrections was removing the orange banding on the pinky's leg. Is this a change people would prefer to see to make it consistent, or do they prefer the vanilla inconsistent banding on his leg?

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

One of the minor spritefix corrections was removing the orange banding on the pinky's leg. Is this a change people would prefer to see to make it consistent, or do they prefer the vanilla inconsistent banding on his leg?

Personally I would prefer removal to make the overall look consistent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sprite Fix project added the banding where it was absent, not removed them:

xJS9mf9.gif

You are correct. I went in and recreated the orange banding on the pinky's legs in the neural attack/pain frames to be completely consistent with the Minor Spritefix project.

Neural Upscale Minor Spritefix - Now with Pinky stripes!

Edited by Scuba Steve

I created a simple brightmap for the final version original Minor Sprite Fixing Project a few months ago, I'll see if it works with this upscaled version too. 

I cleaned up some code in the NeuralUpscale_Smooth_Weapons wad... see if that fixes the error.

I also had to go back and fix the Baron's attack hoof that lightens and the death frame where his legs darken. Both are now fixed in the Neural Upscale Minor Spritefix.

Edit: Can I just say, holy shit... I've been playing Doom almost nonstop for the last 5 days just to iron out all the bugs in this. There were so many little changes and mistakes that were accidentally introduced in this merger, I keep finding things to correct. I think I also noticed that the Cacodemon fireball was never upscaled.

Edited by Scuba Steve

Edit: So apparently, the engine checks the folder for the Baron of Hall to look for the sprites BAL2 to replace the Cacodemon attack. The Cacodemon fireball has never worked in this upscale in any version apparently because of this bug, so I moved it. I also did all the effects like teleport fog, item fog and arachnotron plasma shot.

Edit2: Wrong! it checks the IMP folder.

Edited by Scuba Steve

I was messing around and decided to make a patched version of the Smooth Weapons that emulates the exact same behavior as the Vanilla smooth weapons, but replaces the dehacked patch with decorate. I started running into some of the bugs @fraggle introduced that were not noticeable in standard def but became apparent in HD. Gibbing frames for imps convert the final few frames into trooper gib frames... it becomes really noticeable with the higher fidelity. So play with whatever version you want.

NeuralUpscale2x Decorate Smooth Weapons

NeuralUpscale2x Vanilla Smooth Weapons

This does raise one question I've had... are there ANY other ports that could potentially run the high resolution images besides GZDoom? Or is this destined to be a ZDoom branded mod only?