Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghot

Joystick is seen by launcher, but...

Ok...  Windows 7 x64.  I have 3 CDs (from ID software)...  Doom 2, The Ultimate Doom, and the 3rd one has a bazillion wads.  I can install the game (it shows up as Doom 95), and it works fine...

Windows 7 sees my Microsoft Precision 2 joystick.  The launcher sees the joystick in the configure button on the joystick tab.  It sees it by name.

The problem is that it doesn't show up in the joystick name, drop down box, and I can't assign actions to the 4 spots on the joystick tab.

If at all possible I would love to be able to get it to function in the games.

On the Configuration windows the 5 RED dots, don't show the joystick or allow changes.

5uk8YlK.png

Edited by Ghot

Any reason why you're using Doom 95? There are better options like GZDoom, PrBoom and Chocolate Doom. I know GZDoom has controller support but I'm not sure about the others.

I think Doom 95 and some programs that I have played (EG. Flight sims) were programmed using the game port back before windows was able to have USB support, that's my guess why it won't use usb ports. But other than that are you running this on older hardware or a VM? If its a VM then why not just use a source port on your main pc? 

I'm getting closer.  After the first run of the game, I get this "id" entry in hkey_current_user\software...

The two things I changed are:  joy_advanced and use_joystick...  Oh, and I also assigned joystick buttons to fire, speed, strafe and use.
Everything else I can do on the keyboard.  Still doesn't work ofc.

I also noticed, that before I edited the registry, the neon green things scrolling by real fast right after you click the icon....  one of them said joystick - something.  Too fast to read.

Anyway, it's been 25 years.  someone has got to have made...  JUST a .dll or something, that will allow joystick use, w/o changing anything else.

I bought these CDs in like 2000-2001, and they are fine for me.  I tried chocolate doom, and Zdoom, etc., even GOG version, joystick works on all of them.  However, they added way too much junk, that's not needed.

Only thing I had to do to get it to run on Win 7 was grab dplay.dll off the CD and drop it in the install folder.

Anyway, you can see what the registry changes did....

TYlEeXL.png

/edit   Also figured out how to edit doomcfg.dll to put the use joystick checkbox back in the Configuration window...  but it didn't help.

Doom95 itself put all those registry entries in there without my help...  right after the first run.  I just turned a couple ON, and set the 4 buttons I wanted on the joystick.

Edited by Ghot

As others have mentioned, Doom 95 was great for what it was at the time, but these days it's kinda crap.

I'd download GZDoom or ZDoom and you should be good to go on your joystick.

I know you've done a lot of work trying to make it work with 95, but it might be time to cut your losses.

GOG version...  Everything worked but the grfx were worse than the original CDs.  Same with Chocolate Doom.  Crispy Doom was awesome but wouldn't see the joystick, even though Chocolate doom and Windows, would.  Zdoom was ...  ok, but doesn't seem to have any "easy" way of dealing with "other" wads.  That collectors set or w/e it's called that I bought way back when has about 1600 different wads on the 3rd CD.

Doom 95 has a great little launcher, that handles them quite nicely.  I did try GZdoom but for some reason I got a black screen where I should have had the New Game screen.

I'm not asking for someone to write something to make my joystick work on Doom 95...   I'm sure it's already been written, long ago.  I'm just trying to find it.  :)

Ok, I ended up going with ZDoom.  Can't get Crispy to see the joystick (even after editing the config file).  GZDoom still black screen.  After only 1/2 hour I got ZDoom configured...  at least to the bare minimum.  Now I just have to figure out how to deal with 1600 wads in ZDoom.

Edited by Ghot

UPDATE:

Seems there are 3 SDL**** files in CrispyDoom that are very new.  THOSE files caused the issue.  With assistance from the "bugs" folks, I overwrote them with older versions of the same files from ChocolateDoom.  Problem solved.  Crispy, now sees my joystick.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:10 AM, Ghot said:

UPDATE:

Seems there are 3 SDL**** files in CrispyDoom that are very new.  THOSE files caused the issue.  With assistance from the "bugs" folks, I overwrote them with older versions of the same files from ChocolateDoom.  Problem solved.  Crispy, now sees my joystick.

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to control Doom 95, did you get any results? If so, could you explain it in a way that can make it work on modern systems? (I use W 11 and I made Doom 95 work perfectly and personally I liked it much more than the other ports I saw)

On 2/19/2024 at 12:10 PM, AlfredoDore said:

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to control Doom 95, did you get any results? If so, could you explain it in a way that can make it work on modern systems? (I use W 11 and I made Doom 95 work perfectly and personally I liked it much more than the other ports I saw)

The solution is the same one that people were trying to imply in 2019: don't use Doom 95. There's nothing unique about it unless you're a historian nerd. What's wrong with the source ports? What did you try/dislike?