Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

You should DIE if you fall off the world.

They did use Damaging Floors in 2016, I remember a few of them in some levels but not exactly which ones. Reloading levels didn't take very long, first time loading is longer but not so much (though that's probably only PC) then again the levels in 2016 don't seem as big as the ones in DE and falling into bottomless pits wasn't a huge concern in most of the arenas.

I bet you someone at id played Strange Aeons. One of the best parts of that TC, in my opinion, was that in the early levels where there is an endless void, if you fuck up the platforming you don't actually die but get teleported to the part where you start the platforming sections.

16 hours ago, seed said:

Hm, if that's the case then it's pretty reasonable not to have death falls. You take damage from those, good luck afterwards.

I do agree that there should be some sort of penalty for failing, like some health/armor taken away from the player, or 1UPs if they have any, but not instant death. If you fail too much you're just going to spend more time staring at loading screens than playing.

There would be functionally no difference between a 1Up being taken away and just dying. Because if you died wouldn't a 1Up activate anyways?

One of the worst feelings in a platforming section is when something beyond your control goes wrong, like maybe you snag on a tiny piece of geometry or the ledge grab simply doesn't work and now you have to sit through a load screen and redo a bit of the level.

Just being teleported back and losing a 1up or health is much better in my opinion than having to restart. Maybe just lose health but on higher difficulties lose a life.

This is really meant to be a way to quickly let us try again without waiting WAY too long. I'm totally down with this.

Though now I'm imagining Lakitu fishing you up like it's Mario Kart: Eternal

On 7/31/2019 at 3:53 AM, Edib said:

I reckon they should make Nightmare and Ultra Nightmare punish you for falling off at least.

I do think Ultra-Nightmare should do this for sure. Fits with the concept.

Considering how 1-ups work differently from the Mario type of 1-ups, i expect situations where you lose both a live and some health.

Because the entire point of these items is just to reset your health and become invencible for a short while, as you're given another chance to keep fightning.

The only thing I hated in Doom 2016 were the deaths due to falling. Argent Tower and Necropolis had some annoying jump sections. 

1ups are reserved for combat.  You fall off the level you go back to the last checkpoint, like the last game.  Thats what happened to me in the Demo when I played at Quakecon.

I'm a bit clumsy in 3D games and I'd much rather have respawning than falling. I remember when this was implemented in the Twisted Metal games (starting with Twisted Metal 4) and it made sessions a lot less stressful.