Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

I played the Mars Core demo ... a lot

On 7/29/2019 at 1:54 PM, Zemini said:

Here is the default control scheme from the demo:

C - Chainsaw (however it is just a attack button and you do not actually wield the chainsaw anymore)

E - Punch, Blood Punch, Wall Climb, Use and glory kill.  The game will glory kill instead of blood punching a staggered demon in case you wondered.

R - Flamethrower

Shift - Dash

Middle Mouse Button - Lob Grenade

? - BFG and Crucible.

Binding so many things to E seems kind of strange.

7 minutes ago, PopeRigby said:

Binding so many things to E seems kind of strange.

Not really, it's quick.  You're not really wall climbing in combat, so the two can exist separately on the same button.  Glory kill and use being bound to the same button opens up a key to use the flamethrower for shield shards.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, bj25x said:

I played it twice at QuakeCon and it was great. Didn’t finish it my first time through because I was looking for every secret and door. Second time through I made it to the Slipgate ending, but sadly no Tyrant was waiting for me. 

- The HUD is not intrusive at all, and was helpful when I needed to glance at it quickly for info, which is what a HUD is supposed to do. I would love it if people would shut up about how much they don’t like it when they haven’t played it yet. Plus the devs said it’s already been iterated on since this demo was made in April, and it’ll be customizable for turning features on/off and adjusting brightness/opacity... 

- The Hell Knight is way tougher than 2016. He probably gave me the most trouble in the demo because I went at him like I would in 2016 but he didn’t go down as easy.

- The wall climbing is tricky... if you jump at a wall you have to use the melee button to cling to it, but if you dash at the wall it automatically clings on, so that took a few mistakes to figure out. It should probably auto cling every time you hit it...

- The Prowler’s teleportation and the Carcass’ shied walls are awesome additions, and I love these versions of the Arachnotron and Mancubus. The Pain Elemental took a bit to pop out of the sky while the demons on the ground messed me up pretty good... Eternal is way more challenging than 2016 and you see right away what Marty and Hugo mean by the importance of resource management and having more of a battle strategy. It’s pretty damn chaotic... once you zero in on a demon a bunch of other ones are surrounding you and it gets hairy quick.

- The weapons feel much improved over 2016, which were already good. The combat shotgun feels stronger, and the assault rifle is way better feeling, especially the sniper mod. And dammit if the meat hook isn’t the sickest mod ever. I’d like to know which dev proposed that idea. It did seem like the SSG reload time took a minute, but hopefully that can be upgraded. The biggest change is the rocket launcher which fires much slower but does a lot more damage. Definitely have to keep the splash damage in mind when using it in close quarters.

- Plasma rifle microwave mod is fun as hell but takes a while to finish cooking a demon... I took a lot of damage waiting for them to pop. 

- I’m not sure how much damage the flame belch actually does and I hope it’s not just used for the armor shards. Watching a demon crumble into a flaming pile of goo would be nice, then shoot the pile for armor!

- The shoulder mounted grenade launcher is cool as hell but a little underwhelming when firing... the grenade kind of just plops out a short distance in front of you. It might be better if it looked and launched more like the new combat shotgun sticky bomb, and the combat shotgun kept the 2016 explosive shot, which I loved using.

- The map design is epic and stunning. And we only played a few chunks of the full map. Can’t wait to see the final product!

Everything is so great in this game, tnx for all the info. I like linearity in doom, but some people would much prefer the foundry style levels, and I don't fault them at all. But guys, we will be nonetheless very happy with final product no doubt. I love how the monsters are more challenging now and each one really has its role and strategy and ways to bring it down more than d2016, and I love especially how harder and more aggro the barons and hell knights have become. Ive been hearing the arachnotron is TOUGH!

Edited by massivefanofdoom

The Foundry was one of my favourite maps. It's almost a masterpiece, like Q3DM6, Q2DM1 or Q1DM6. Argent Tower was also great but the jumping sections in the beginnings lowered the overall rating. 

1 hour ago, igg said:

The Foundry was one of my favourite maps. It's almost a masterpiece, like Q3DM6, Q2DM1 or Q1DM6. Argent Tower was also great but the jumping sections in the beginnings lowered the overall rating. 

Hey :) Yeah i liked argent tower. Hell levels were my favorite. I didnt mind the jumping sections either they were so cool

Here's some footage of it from PAX Aus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxiV9oFL7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_TKSeAZbvc

He explains the same things we know as usual, but sometimes i watch these because i believe there's going to be a lot of details in the game that even wikis can miss at times.

Like a glory kill similar to feeding an Arachnotron his grenade, but instead, Doomguy puts it inside the brain body.

Y'know, and this is just an idea, they could always release this demo to the public to tie us over until Doom Eternal comes.

We've seen the demo over and over so it wouldn't spoil anything we haven't already seen.  Plus they can disable the console line to prohibit looking through the game files.

That and maybe reveal some more new stuff besides just concept art, since we're on a longer wait until the game is out.

Spoiling too much is possible but i'm sure they can still keep some surprises.

11 hours ago, whatup876 said:

That and maybe reveal some more new stuff besides just concept art, since we're on a longer wait until the game is out.

Spoiling too much is possible but i'm sure they can still keep some surprises.

Yeah like one boss fight.

Or a beta for those who preordered

13 hours ago, massivefanofdoom said:

Yeah like one boss fight.

Or a beta for those who preordered

We haven't seen anything besides artwork, for that "gladiator" HK character in the alt cover.

10 hours ago, whatup876 said:

We haven't seen anything besides artwork, for that "gladiator" HK character in the alt cover.

He's so badass, he could have a centaur lower body since its covered, we don't know yet. THat would be even cooler. His shield and mace are epic, I hope he has some spells / long range attacks to go with it though. Possibly a strong charge that deals mega damage will be in there, I bet. Without a long predictable windup, just a second so you better move out quick.

Edited by massivefanofdoom

Not sure if he's going to be a centaur type but a centaur enemy could be a cool idea.

Also, since he resembles the classic HK, he could bleed green.

Something i thought of is a "cyber Baron" whose design resembles the demons in the original cover art for Doom 1, so they're red and have yellow horns.

9 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Not sure if he's going to be a centaur type but a centaur enemy could be a cool idea.

Also, since he resembles the classic HK, he could bleed green.

Something i thought of is a "cyber Baron" whose design resembles the demons in the original cover art for Doom 1, so they're red and have yellow horns.

That would be really cool

I imagine the icon of sin in this game to be bigger than a titan in size, possibly wings. Red face. Thats my ideal portrayal. I hope its not like in doom2, a wall which spawns adds and a human head easter egg inside. Have a feeling he will be in the dlcs too, if not the next game.

'Dark lord of the 4th age' ... no idea.

I have been wanting to play this demo again.  I need it!!!!  I pray for a public release but we all know that won't happen.

I've been rewatching a bit of Mars demo footage from that Quakecon stream and i think the way how the Dread Knight's energy pool works is that he "drops" them in the sense he can let them active while he moves freely.

So he kind of is a meele variant of the Cybermancubus.

Not a bad thing because it means he doesn't have to stay still just to make that move happen.