Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucretius

Can GZDoom break maps flow?

Hello;

i noticed that or maybe is just me like on some megawads maps i reach a point when i looked everything and so on to proceed then

something like bars wont rise up or when i hit a switch the supposed door wont unlock is that possible? im forced to do the noclip command to proceed

does that happen to anyone else?

unless you can say which maps are causing issues and I happen to know them for one reason or another, it's impossible for me to say what the problem is. Also I can't say I've had issues like bars not lowering at all, or simple stuff like doors not opening... GZDoom isn't exactly true to vanilla or boom behaviour, but such simple things shouldn't randomly break.

ok thats what i thought thanks; but im not that old school doomer (i started to play it back on my p133 in the late '90) ; i need to play it with enhancement mods ilke brutal doom

vanilla is just too basic for my tastes thats about it 

well... if you play modded, and don't care about vanilla stuff, then don't be surprised if something breaks, especially if you also jump around in maps that aren't built for that.

GZDoom's emulation of vanilla and Boom is pretty good. The biggest differences, that I'm aware of, are (1) that it's easier to hit with punches in the ZDoom-family and (2) conveyor belt timing is slightly different. So, unless the map you're playing is reliant on a voodoo doll-based action that is precisely timed (and I mean, to a ridiculous degree of precision), then GZDoom shouldn't cause a problem.

I agree with others that the problem most likely rests with Brutal Doom or some other mod that you're using.

From past experience I can tell that some maps can be very sensitive towards monsters' ability to reach certain places in the map or not, sometimes prematurely triggering some linedefs. And with mods that replace walking monsters with flying ones this can easily happen. It can also happen when some effects actors are not properly defined, i.e standard stuff done wrong in replacement mods.

Voodoo doll trigger anomalies are rare and if encountered should be reported so the problem can be addressed. But I don't think these are at fault here.

Iirc doesnt gzdoom add the effects of multiple conveyors if the actor is positioned to be in multiple sectors with conveyor effects? I know some mp ports like Oda do, but I've forgotten how gzdoom handles that type of stuff.

Boom adds the velocity induced by every touching sector, ZDoom originally averaged it, but GZDoom now has this as a compatibility option.