Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Beat Your Own Demos Month [July 4 - Aug 4]

Indeed, a fun contest this month, with, as vdgg notes, a certain bias in favour of those of us with a long recording history, and in particular a lot of short demos.

The thing that surprised me most was how bad I was at assessing which demos would be hard to improve and which would be easy. About half the time I spent was working on things that never came to fruition at all. I would have been very happy to record improvements on hellroom, henry, ks13 and rigel1, but it just wasn't happening.

Of the ones I recorded, I'd pick out the following highlights:

Still absolutely can't believe this happened: builnp15 - just wtf. Everything was - and had to be - pixel-perfect.

Weird demos I'm very happy with: too1p028, bas3p017, cw01np34

Fairly solid work: tv10-036, ks23s029, ks03s010, ra29n015, clifn012, cavep027

In my previous post I forgot something! Thanks to @kraflab for the idea and holding the contest! 

@j4rio, what would have been the demo of your choice if you had won?

Nice.

1 hour ago, kraflab said:

do you want me to check the other one? 😅

Sure, if you feel like.

I'm curious if you think Requiem map08 pacifist would be within reason. I had a look at it a while ago and thought that the hardest part was a pig at the top of a lift. I figure it's possible to either sneak around it or to get it to go down and have a caco or some monster shoot at it, then get it back up the lift. For the ending of course you would simply allow pressing the switch to activate the crusher to kill romero's head, which technically isn't a monster.

Afaik, activating a crusher to kill Romero like that is not allowed in a pacifist run (you can't attack lost souls either, despite them not being counted).

I'm assuming a Hegyi role now and crushers are from now on perfectly fine in pacifist

Well, if you adopt the "it isn't a monster" approach, then Doom2 map30 can be done by just shooting rockets as normal.

There are some Pacifist demos (or at least one that have been accepted as Pacifist) that feature monster crushings that are 100% avoidable - those on hr19 spring to mind, including one by AdamH himself. But that is of the "I'm just running to the exit by the most direct route" type and can be viewed as incidental damage. Deliberately activating a crusher in order to kill a monster doesn't really fit with that. On maps where it is the only way to exit you might consider it a grey area, but it seems unconvincing. Of course, "no direct damage from weapons" could be a perfectly well-defined category; it just isn't a standard one.

What this has to do with this thread I'm not sure, unless it is a reference to Strain map20.

Oh, I just mentioned it because it's something I would have suggested if I won this challenge, although since I have only one point, my suggestion doesn't mean much.

23 hours ago, Grazza said:

There are some Pacifist demos (or at least one that have been accepted as Pacifist) that feature monster crushings that are 100% avoidable - those on hr19 spring to mind, including one by AdamH himself. But that is of the "I'm just running to the exit by the most direct route" type and can be viewed as incidental damage. Deliberately activating a crusher in order to kill a monster doesn't really fit with that. On maps where it is the only way to exit you might consider it a grey area, but it seems unconvincing. Of course, "no direct damage from weapons" could be a perfectly well-defined category; it just isn't a standard one.

There is no point in littering tables with useless new categories that serve the exact same purpose as already defined ones, albeit vaguely. If rules are hard to interpret and require case-to-case basis, it's failed set of rules. You either allow all cases or you don't allow it anywhere, that's the only way to prevent these useless phylosophical definitions of pacifist.

I'll use an example. In plutonia map 2 you have to run through a bunch of crushers. You are perfectly aware of those crushers and there's a bunch of monsters that are bound to get crushed in that spot. There's no different route around them. So what's your proposed solution - Do 3 linedef skips? Wait until they all infight to death? Or just run through and hope none get crushed, and then delete a successful attempt when you notice some hitscanner walking into crusher?

Old-schoolers failed setting this ruleset in stone really hard and now we're basically stuck in eternal phylosophical debate.