Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

16 minutes ago, Gez said:

"I've seen the effect being faked by the "third person" being actually part of the weapon sprite."

i noticed that too. but i also noticed they use the chase cam with an edited acs file aperantly they use this to change the camera position to make it look like an over the shoulder 3rd person perspective like in the resident evil games. however i dont know what code to use to make a acs file that makes the camera look less centered

Is there a way to set the aspect ratio of GZDoom to 320x200? I'm trying to set up GZDoom's graphics to be as closely accurate to Vanilla Doom that is possible.

Not anymore since the menu rework to support internationalization. Long story short, displaying menu strings correctly in all languages at minimum resolution required increasing said minimum resolution.

10 minutes ago, Gez said:

Not anymore since the menu rework to support internationalization. Long story short, displaying menu strings correctly in all languages at minimum resolution required increasing said minimum resolution.

That's unfortunate, but I guess they sacrificed that to make it more usable, so it was probably for the best.

640x400 will have to do then, thank you Gez for the info.

1 hour ago, AJOgames said:

Is there a way to set the aspect ratio of GZDoom to 320x200? I'm trying to set up GZDoom's graphics to be as closely accurate to Vanilla Doom that is possible.

You can use Vanilla Essence to get 320x200 graphics. It won't bring back the old menu size though.

I recommend doing this modification as well until it gets an update.

Automatically deleting lines that don't make up the shape of the sector? I don't think any of them can do that. However, GZDB has a method of joining sectors that might be very useful. It's called "merge sectors", and the shortcut merges the sectors instead of just joining them. This removes the lines connected between the joined sectors, creating one large sector.

How have you marked switches and door with option "any key". Any Is there a special texture somewhere?

On 8/1/2019 at 3:07 PM, Jaska said:

How have you marked switches and door with option "any key". Any Is there a special texture somewhere?

Solution to "any key" activated switches. Gray marker texture. Do you approve?

S7Qcek6.png

Wheresthebeef had an idea of an animated texture so I'll go with it. So blue, red and yellow just changes in 8 ticks.

One more idea could be scrolling texture with all the keys in it.

Edited by Jaska : Another idea.

Is there a way in Boom to create an upside-down crusher? By which I mean the floor crushes the player against the ceiling.

41 minutes ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

Is there a way in Boom to create an upside-down crusher? By which I mean the floor crushes the player against the ceiling.

Something like line specials 65 and 94?

15 hours ago, NEANDERTHAL said:

Doesn't one of the generic linedef types allow you to make a repeating lift/raising floor where you can set the ceiling to crush?

I recall one of the more recent ASS sets had crushing ceilings as a restriction, so you can check that out.

EDIT: Yes, it was ASS 37 that used crushing floors as a restriction. I'm specifically remembering @riderr3's map from that set, although I don't remember if the floors reset.

Edited by Pegleg : Add ASS 37.

from BOOM reference v1.3 10/18/98

A floor action can have the crush property, in which case players and
monsters are crushed when the floor tries to move above the point
where they fit exactly underneath the ceiling. This means they take
damage until they die, leave the sector, or the floor action is stopped.
A floor action never reverses on encountering an obstacle, even if
the crush property is not true, the floor merely remains in the same
position until the obstacle is removed or dies, then continues.

This is maybe going to be silly question but is there a way how to somehow remove the fog from line horizon action only? The next one is maybe not for this thread but anyway how someone can get  better at texturing? Thanks in advance

To remove the fog from fading in when using the line horizon action, you must make the sector in front of the line have the highest brightness possible. That way, the fog won't appear since the floor and ceiling rendered by the line horizon action will be at max brightness and not render fog. Same thing with darkness iirc.

If you want only the line horizon lines to have this, you need to put a really thin sector in front them, and give that sector the full brightness.

Getting better at texturing is something I have no exact idea of, although Doomish Den of Design has a section in which it tries to help with getting better at just that. I'd say experimenting with how textures look with each other would also be a good idea on that front.

That's great, i have no idea about this trick and it working perfectly. Thanks you so much Alper002 for this and the link. 

P.s. Man i remember when i play the doomis den of design months back and ended up with headache after having so much stuff in my head :D 

Edited by Marlamir

6 hours ago, Krull said:

Are the bugs associated with maps that are larger than 32Kx32K predictable in any way? Planisphere 2 exceeds these limits but doesn't have any game breaking issues to my knowledge.

predictable? Not really.

That depends greatly on the engine used, on the nodebuilder used and on the complexity of the sector. Sometimes moving a single vertex may fix a problem, but usually avoid huge sectors.

Hi, I'm using doombuilder x, and how do you stop the program from autofilling missing textures with a random texture sometimes? It really annoys me because sometimes I want it to stay missing

12 hours ago, Krull said:

Can you be more specific? Does complex geometry anywhere on the level increase the chances of bugs, does splitting big sectors into smaller ones help, what nodebuilders to avoid, etc. I'm aiming for boom compatibility.

more specific? Again, no, not really, because it depends solely on how the map was constructed and which nodebuiler was used.

What you could though, do a search for slimetrail and see what has happened before and how it was solved.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:26 PM, Krull said:

Are the bugs associated with maps that are larger than 32Kx32K predictable in any way? Planisphere 2 exceeds these limits but doesn't have any game breaking issues to my knowledge.

Planisphere 2 is probably a bad example:

Bugs

• The level does not include any of the lumps created by a node builder, and will therefore only work in source ports which feature an internal node builder, such as ZDoom or Risen3D. (The author recommends GZDoom.) The level is too large to create regular nodes. It can be played in PrBoom+ if extended nodes are built with ZDBSP or DeePBSP.
  • The dimensions are so large that collisions and hitscan traces will glitch unless using a port which fixed the blockmap overflow bug.

Source: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Planisphere_2

A problem of huge maps can be the blockmap, where collision detection doesn't work as expected. I don't know how much that really affects ports like PrBoom+/Eternity/GZDoom and the likes nowadays. I guess they all build a new blockmap if necessary.

Your best bet is to use ZokumBSP if you want to prevent problems.

45 minutes ago, boris said:

Your best bet is to use ZokumBSP if you want to prevent problems.

ZokumBSP is specifically designed for vanilla maps. It's a great node builder, but it isn't suitable for giant limit-pushing maps like this.

Unsure of where to put this.

Recently I had to re-install DB2 and now I'm unable to highlight anything outside of Visual Mode, which is the only place I can highlight. I can't highlight key vertices, sectors, linedefs, things, etc on the main editor. anybody can help with this I'd appreciate it.

*edit ok it apparently works all of a sudden

Edited by NuMetalManiak

On 8/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, Krull said:

So, do prboom+ and/or modern nodebuilders fix this or not? And if not, how predictable are the bugs?

No, it is not predictable to get any bugs. How could it be, there are so many millions of permutations to place vertices.

All I can say is for you to build that huge map with huge sectors and see how well the map behaves. Your map might be okay or you might get something like slimetrails or non-solid impassable linedefs or ...

Then the experimentation to get rid of the bug(s) starts. :)

7 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

Unsure of where to put this.

Recently I had to re-install DB2 and now I'm unable to highlight anything outside of Visual Mode, which is the only place I can highlight. I can't highlight key vertices, sectors, linedefs, things, etc on the main editor. anybody can help with this I'd appreciate it.

*edit ok it apparently works all of a sudden

Instead of reinstalling the ancient DB2 you should have used the opportunity to upgrade to GZDoom Builder or better still to GZDoom Builder - Bugfix.

But each to it's own. :)

Edited by Kappes Buur

I have small problem, i can make line set portal work in udmf. When the map is in hexen it does work

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20190830-224632.png

But in udmf it doesnt work and i dont know why. im not that experience with udmf but is there something more i have to check compare to hexen format? 

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20190830-224422.png

1 hour ago, Marlamir said:

I have small problem, i can make line set portal work in udmf. When the map is in hexen it does work

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot-Doom-20190830-224632.png

But in udmf it doesnt work and i dont know why. im not that experience with udmf but is there something more i have to check compare to hexen format? 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot-Doom-20190830-224422.png

The mystery lies in the second parameter, Argument2 versus This Line Tag

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Line_SetPortal

UDMF

Spoiler

LK6Vaju.gif

DiHF

Spoiler

HVcI3zJ.gif