Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

What level editors are people still using?

It has been a while since I last visited Doomworld, and I learned recently that there is a new type of editor called Doom Builder X.

I have yet to try it out myself, but I am curious to know: What level editors are currently being used, or being used the most?

Just now, tempdecal.wad said:

GZDoom Builder Bugfix seems like one of the most used level editors.

I believe that is what most professional creators use?

What are the best editors for multiplayer-type maps?

2 hours ago, Dylanblitz said:

I believe that is what most professional creators use?

What are the best editors for multiplayer-type maps?

Same, Doom Builder x and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix. Multiplayer flag for things are included in both editors. For resources you need link them in builder. 

Doom Builder 2 (but have just started with the Doom Builder X and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix) for map editing and scripting.
Slade for other lumps, textures, etc.
//I still cannot understand how could I use DoomCad in the past :D

Personally I use GZDoomBuilder because I prefer the extra mapping options that that UDMF format provides you to go beyond vanilla-style maps.

I'm using GZDoomBuilder because I'm working on ZDoom stuff. I'm planning to check out X in the future for an Eternity Engine project.

Using GZDoomBuilder here because of all the cool plugins, like stair builder and automap viewer.

I use Eureka.

My primary machine is a Mac, and I preferred Eureka to Slade. Eureka is also cross-platform, which allows me to use the same program on another Windows machine I have. Eureka doesn't require administrative rights, which is a nice bonus.

GZDoomBuilder. The Map Analysis Mode (error checking tool) is really useful for me. You can batch-remove a list of unused textures etc. Lots of useful plugins as well. Breezeep is right, stair builder is great and super-useful. 

19 hours ago, damned said:

Doom Builder 2 (but have just started with the Doom Builder X and Gzdoom Builder - bugfix) for map editing and scripting.
Slade for other lumps, textures, etc.
//I still cannot understand how could I use DoomCad in the past :D

That's why maps weren't as good back then lol

7 hours ago, MegaZzZeux said:

Wadauthor...16 years and counting! 

That's what I started with. Was a great program. Basically like a blueprint of what would become DoomBuillder...

Started with Deu, then Deth and *eth variations while using a little of WadAuthor, then Doom Builder 1 and 2.   Using Slade3 for other wad editing.   Maybe I should check for the newest version.

Which recent version of Doom Builder is best to keep multiplayer compatibility with Zandronum 3.0 last updated in 2017?

And maybe tougher question: Which version of Doom Builder is best to keep compatibility with ZDaemon, I guess still having older ZDoom capabilities?

Edited by Gokuma

12 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Started with Deu, then Deth and *eth variations while using a little of WadAuthor, then Doom Builder 1 and 2.   Using Slade3 for other wad editing.   Maybe I should check for the newest version.

Which recent version of Doom Builder is best to keep multiplayer compatibility with Zandronum 3.0 last updated in 2017?

And maybe tougher question: Which version of Doom Builder is best to keep compatibility with ZDaemon, I guess still having older ZDoom capabilities?

Gzdoom builder bugfix should have both formats inside, I saw zandronum one, not sure about zdaemon, I believe it supports doom in hexen. Zandronum also supports zdoom in udmf too. You can also check doom builder x and if it no builders satisfy your needs, use older ones. 

Doom Builder X, because is the only one that currently supports UDMF Eternity, but its a nice tool. Hope for portal support in visual mode soon :)

GZDoomBuilder for maps (these days - I started on DEU back in 94). Whacked for creating DEH files. Doomwriter for level name graphics. Slade for importing non-map resources into the maps WAD.

GZDoom Builder for maps/scripts. GIMP for sprites. SLADE3 for everything else....But i still whip out xWe once in awhile too get dirty with bitmaps.