Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2019 Mentionation Thread

3 hours ago, Megabeholder said:

I think Lilywhite Lilith needs some attention. It has unique atmosphere and aesthetic consistency. 

I can only assume that wad's creator is a fan of this band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etakpPu_QJo

I am also nominating:

https://sites.google.com/site/nitroactivestudios/projects/if-bethesda-bought-out-modern-doom-source-ports

Edited by Master O

Jimmy's Deathless. While Lunar Catastrophe got my nomination because it felt like an alternate Doom, Deathless has to get a Cacoward not only because it was made in a month, but because it's a damn polished and well made set of maps made in a month. Honestly, I thought the maps will probably feel very, very small, unpolished and kind of "rushed", but the opposite is actually true. Others spend 3 years on a megawad that is not half as good and Jimmy just cranks this kind of quality out in a month. Truly a madman.

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Seconding Alien Bastards, such a cute and perfect little wad.

Dude, I agree 100%

#90's Nostalgia at it's best

On 7/10/2019 at 1:47 PM, Master O said:

When it comes to custom wads, Strife is really underutilized. Khorus is the only one I can name who has done much with Strife at all.

The only other person I can think of is 'Kaiser' Villarreal, but he's been responsible for a lot more Strife-wise than just making some maps.

I checked my post history and I'm 99% sure I haven't reccommendateded something for CACO 2019 yet, so I'm going to be a buttlord and suggest ASHES: 2063's expansion/prologue campaign Dead Man Walking, created by ReformedJoe, despite the thread for it actually having been started on Dec 1st 2018.

Original Thread:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=62707

It's gonna be a long while before the full ASHES: 2063 experience comes out and I can nominate that, so Dead Man Walking is what I'm going with instead, because it has fucking amazing atmosphere, intricate but realistic level design, music by PrimEval, some very cool GZD tricks, and it's short enough to not overstay its welcome.

11 hours ago, AschTheConjurer said:

despite the thread for it actually having been started on Dec 1st 2018

Eviternity was released December 10, 2018, and that is still getting a lot of attention on this thread. While the only official cut-off is the day before the Cacowards are actually announced, it seems that (with the caveat that I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cacowards) a release during any time from December, 2018 to November, 2019 is fair game for consideration in this year Cacowards. So, i don't think there's anything wrong with your recommendation, timing wise.

27 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Eviternity was released December 10, 2018, and that is still getting a lot of attention on this thread. While the only official cut-off is the day before the Cacowards are actually announced, it seems that (with the caveat that I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cacowards) a release during any time from December, 2018 to November, 2019 is fair game for consideration in this year Cacowards. So, i don't think there's anything wrong with your recommendation, timing wise.

There's no pre-determined official cutoff date, but there's always some sort of grace period, because something released a week before the Cacowards couldn't be given fair consideration. The cutoff is at the discretion of the Cacowards team each year, but in my experience so far, it's been roughly the middle of November.

I assume the creator of this map within GZdoom is Skaarjman, the one who uploaded that clip to Youtube.

Thanks so much @FrancisT18 and @Windowpain. Gotta say, I'm really blown away by how many recommendations me and Miss Bubbles have been getting.

Also I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Eviternity. 

On 8/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, AschTheConjurer said:

It's gonna be a long while before the full ASHES: 2063 experience comes out and I can nominate that, so Dead Man Walking is what I'm going with instead, because it has fucking amazing atmosphere, intricate but realistic level design, music by PrimEval, some very cool GZD tricks, and it's short enough to not overstay its welcome.

I second this. Really awesome TC, and maps, and soundtrack.

This one totally for gameplay mod.

Just two words:

VANILLA COMPATIBLE!!!

The dehacked work in it is amazing!

Also the sprite work is totally awesome!

EDIT: So good mod that i didn't saw Hideous Destructor Guy's post. Sorry! ;P

12 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

I have more nominations in 2019 now than there are awards...I guess I'll just keep nominating, even though I know some won't make it...

This was certainly true back when you had as many 'nominations' as possible award slots, so there is no reason for that to be a obstacle now.  

Honestly, Cacowards is just unfair. There are dozens of maps out there with a hardworking author that just couldn't get enough representation.

1 minute ago, Elio Nako said:

Honestly, Cacowards is just unfair. There are dozens of maps out there with a hardworking author that just couldn't get enough representation.

Whether something gets awarded isn't based on its popularity or its representation in this thread.

10 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

Whether something gets awarded isn't based on its popularity or its representation in this thread.

It may even not be nominated...

Just now, Elio Nako said:

It may even not be nominated...

It also doesn't depend on whether anyone nominates it -- this thread is mainly a way to help make sure we don't miss anything, but we're all active in the community, and the odds of us not being aware of a release have proven to be pretty low. If you find a hardworking author who nobody has mentioned yet, just post about it here.

3 hours ago, Elio Nako said:

There are dozens of maps out there with a hardworking author that just couldn't get enough representation.

That's your job, then. If the award staff misses something big, and you didn't nominate it, that's on you.

True. There have been 'top ten' or even 'top five' nominees 'snubbed' from anything at all. 2017 Moonblood & Inquisitor 3 were in the top ten for mainline nominations & didn't make a list of 19 total awards/runners up (though the later was subsequently recognized as a snub, and the former is in the Review Corner). 2016 rf1024 was in the same camp & Alpha Accident was a zero nomination winner. Those are just a few examples I was able to dig up with little effort...Probably part of why the whole thing since 2017 is now called 'Mentionations'.

Edited by FrancisT18