Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Over 500 Pizza Hut locations in the US will be closing

Sorry to hear about this. My fondest memories of Pizza Hut are from my Navy days. I was a big fan of their Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust Pizza and Mozzarella sticks. This was back in the '80s, at locations in North Chicago and Pascagoula, Mississippi. Always ate at the location. In those days Dominos, PapaJohns and Godfathers were all horrible, so for me, Pizza Hut was the only way to go for chain pizza.

When I was living in Seattle I used to order a lot from Pizza Hut. Their Meat Lovers pizzas were packed with meat. There was no issue with dripping grease, instead there was just enough to please us grease fans. ;D 

Chances are I had my last magnificent Meat Lovers in 2006, before I moved to the Midwest. Now I exclusively eat frozen pizza, Brew Pub's Lotza Mozza 4-Meat Pizza when it's on sale for $4.99, like it is now at the local Piggly Wiggly, or Bellatoria's Chicken Alfredo. I've been reading over the last few years that Pizza Hut, despite being the world's largest pizza chain, was in serious trouble due to financial mismanagement and falling quality. So this could be the beginning of their death spiral. I hope not. I hope they recover and improve their quality at the locations where it's tanked. 

19 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

love pizzahut.  way better than dominoes and papajohns imo.  their wings are actually fried.

chicken, bacon, & jalepenos with a bbq sauce base.

lol are you me? This is probably what I would've posted.

TBH, I haven't been to a pizza hut buffet in almost two decades, but having the option was always a comfort in tumultuous times.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Unless you're very unlucky, if there's a Pizza Hut near you, there's probably also a local pizza place that has way better pizza which you didn't even know about. Local pizza places are still better than Pizza Hut/Dominos at their worst, at least the ones I've had in Australia. IIRC the same was also true in Florida though. The pizza is almost guaranteed to be larger and taste better at the local place.

🤮

Usually when people say "better" they mean "using fresh ingredients and other trash normal people like." No thank you.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:27 PM, unerxai said:

Damn I didn't even know Pizza Hut had a bad reputation. Honestly I rarely eat pizza, like, twice a year, I guess, but when I do I eat either Pizza Hut or Telepizza. I've never tried these new hip places that have raised the pizza standards among people.

Look for a local eat-in restaurant with a wood-burning oven that cares about its customers, its food and the ingredients it uses. Could be an Italian place but there are also plenty of more modern pizza restaurants nowadays that also make decent pizza. Avoid chain restaurants or places you see advertised, especially on TV. I have no idea why anyone's even discussing Pizza Hut or Domino's. Good ingredients and a wood burning oven make all the difference. Buy your food from people whose top priority is making good food, not making money!

3 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Look for a local eat-in restaurant with a wood-burning oven that cares about its customers, its food and the ingredients it uses. It might be an Italian restaurant but there are also plenty of more modern pizza restaurants nowadays that also make decent pizza. Avoid chain restaurants or places you see advertised, especially on TV. I have no idea why anyone's discussing Pizza Hut or Domino's. Good ingredients and a wood burning oven make all the difference. Buy your food from people whose priority is making good food, not making money!

You've made a good point there. They do stick some shit in their pizzas. 

We do have a pretty decent local Pizza place but as to what oven they use I have no idea. Might just stick to frozen ha!

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Unless you're very unlucky, if there's a Pizza Hut near you, there's probably also a local pizza place that has way better pizza which you didn't even know about. Local pizza places are still better than Pizza Hut/Dominos at their worst, at least the ones I've had in Australia. IIRC the same was also true in Florida though. The pizza is almost guaranteed to be larger and taste better at the local place.

Same situation in my country. Local pizza places FTW.

9 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

🤮

Usually when people say "better" they mean "using fresh ingredients and other trash normal people like." No thank you.

LOL okay, fine, I’ll admit it - there is a certain appeal to the nasty ass mass produced pizza with too much grease and cheese, but only when I’m drunk as shit and even then I always regret it the next day!

I admit I was exaggerating. Truth is I've never been a huge pizza fan. Not much into tomato products in general (even ketchup).

When I feel like pizza, what I really want is oily bread. (i could just sit and eat nothing but pizzahut breadsticks) I do go to smaller pizza shops with good stuff, but sometimes I just want that assembly-line pan dough.

Trying to remember the last time I had Pizza Hut. Probably about 15 years ago when I lived in Nelson, New Zealand. Do not think I went more than a couple of times, was not bad but certainly was not great. Dominoes here is better. I remember hearing some of their insanely low prices and wondering how that was sustainable. If I am not going to cook my own pizza I prefer to go to a more dedicated pizza place with proper pizza ovens.

Speaking of Dominos pizza, Garlic Bread Crust is TIGHT.  They combined the two best things about ordering pizza.  A true game-changer

There's so many good real Italian independent pizza places in my region that it blows my mind when I see people going for the corporate stuff.   Buy local.  Screw the corporate processed garbage.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, Fonze said:

Shame as pizza hut is among the only pizza chains I like, though just for the cheese-stuffed crust. Hopefully domino's follows their example soon and I dont have to see that nasty pizza again. Agreed though that in most areas, at least in the US for non-rural areas, you can easily find a little italian hole in the wall that'll make pizza way better than any chain does. 

I like pizza hut much more than Dominos Pizza,

I hope they'll open a new location near me.

The nearby branch is unfortunately closed now.

Thank god for Domino's. Seems like over the last decade or two, Pizza Hut has gone down in quality while Domino's has been steadily rising. Good memories at Pizza Hut, though

That's some fine thread necromancy there, fellas.

I live in a bit of a pizza mecca, so basically we don't even bother with Pizza Hut for the most part. We do have a few, but we've also got an independent pizza place every 4-5 blocks, rendering it pretty much moot. There's literally 19 pizza shops within a mile of my home - no joke. The closest one is literally down the street, a mere 250 feet away or so.

And that's just "official" pizza shops, not 7/11s that will keep some stale-ass pizza barely warm or whatever.

5 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I live in a bit of a pizza mecca

Likewise, man. My town is packed to the brim with pizza joints, mostly small businesses rather than the big chains like Pizza Butt-erm, I mean Hut. The one exception being a La Porchetta located next to the cinema. It's pizza heaven and will probably be the one thing I miss the day I finally move out of this place. 

On 8/10/2019 at 4:48 PM, DuckReconMajor said:

I admit I was exaggerating. Truth is I've never been a huge pizza fan. Not much into tomato products in general (even ketchup).

When I feel like pizza, what I really want is oily bread. (i could just sit and eat nothing but pizzahut breadsticks) I do go to smaller pizza shops with good stuff, but sometimes I just want that assembly-line pan dough.

If you only want oily bread you should seek focaccia... Damn, I really want to live in Italy.

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Likewise, man. My town is packed to the brim with pizza joints, mostly small businesses rather than the big chains like Pizza Butt-erm, I mean Hut. The one exception being a La Porchetta located next to the cinema. It's pizza heaven and will probably be the one thing I miss the day I finally move out of this place. 

We literally invented Buffalo Wings, so safe to say, we know pizza.

I'd highly recommend this place if you are in the lower 48 and don't mind shelling out for the overnight shipping.

https://www.imperialpizzabuffalo.com/nationwide-shipping

There's a few other good local alternatives, too, both of which I'd also happily recommend.

https://bocceclubpizza.com/nationwide-delivery/

http://www.lanovawings.com/ordereze/Products/Summary.aspx

La Nova even has tenuous mafia connections for that extra authenticity.