Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpio

Light effect

Question

Tell me how to make a similar effect with lighting? I understand that this is somehow connected with the gradient and transparency, but I don’t understand how.

1light_enhancec.jpg

1light_enhancee.jpg

7 answers to this question

What you need for this are two things:

1) A picture of a gradient (something like this)

2) UDMF map format (I think, it's UDMF only)

Then you simply use that gradient as a midtexture. In UDMF you can set its render style to additive and play around with the amount of translucency thus changing the intensity of this effect.

It can also be done in Hexen format, but it's a little bit more complex because it needs to use a line special to set the translucency.

The effect itself is just a texture of the gradient used with additive translucency, nothing complicated here. With a proper TRANMAP it can even be achieved in Boom.

Thanks! I thought that this is done without texture, only with color gradient and transparency.

Everything worked out! In the UDMF format, the PP_START and PP_END markers are not needed?

Screenshot_Doom_20190810_080716.png

Yeah but with this you have a even column of "fog/light" extending over the whole sector and not those cool light fall offs like in the example pictures.

15 hours ago, elend said:

Yeah but with this you have a even column of "fog/light" extending over the whole sector and not those cool light fall offs like in the example pictures.

I mostly stick to dynamic lighting anyway... looks better.